Nagi Shokudo

Contact 050-10437751

Uguisudanicho 15-10, Royal Palace Shibuya 103, Tokyo, Japan, 150-0032

Vegan food in a comfortable setting, at 東京都渋谷区鶯谷町15-10, take JR Shibuya station south exit. Offers plate lunch til 3pm, and a la carte. Japanese and western seating. Sells magazines and indie books. Confirmed open Jan 2017. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-4:00pm, Mon-Sat 6:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine

First Review by selena

Hidden gem - Edit

We struggled to find Nagi Shokudo but we were certainly glad we made the effort.

The interior is beautiful (and very cool) with both Western and Japanese seating available. It is a little small and although we did get a table, is clearly a very popular establishment! The food is healthy, delicious and vegan. We ate a variety of salads and curries and left feeling satisfied. I felt like the food was very good value for the quality.

Pros: Cool vibe, Healthy, fresh, delicious food , Good value

Cons: Hard to find

One of the best vegan place in Tokyo - Edit

You can enjoy the best vegan karaage (deep-fried soy meat) in Nagi A set only for 1,000 yen. Highly recommended. The place is a bit difficult to find.

Pros: Fantastic foods

Cons: A bit difficult to find the place

Marvellous! - Edit

Very nice place, very friendly staff. Food is super tasty. Not even expensive. A little bit hard to find because it's sort of hidden and there are no visible signs. The map is right though. I WILL DEFINITELY COME BACK HERE.

Delicious filling food - Edit

I came here for dinner and had the curry set menu which came with rice, curry and a few bits and bobs on the side which were all very nice. The food was filling and yummy, and the atmosphere of the restaurant was very cozy. They have both western and Japanese style seating and a semi extensive menu. The only thing that bothered me was that it's a bit tucked away behind a wine shop! I actually tried to find this restaurant the last time I was in Tokyo, but I was unable to. Imagine my annoyance when I realised that at the time I had been standing right outside it and if I had only peeked around the hedge outside the door I would have found it! Oh well. The food was nice enough that I suppose it was worth all my consternation. It is a bit of a walk from Shibuya station, I'd say it takes about ten minutes and it's not the most interesting area but I would still say it's a really good choice for when you've done all your shopping and you just want to have some dinner and then go home.

Pros: Delicious food, large portions, several desserts (hard to find in Tokyo!)

Cons: Somewhat hidden away

Vegan or not, you must visit here!! - Edit

Thanks to Happy Cow we headed to this little all vegan cafe in Shibuya. It's a short walk from the station and we found it relatively easy.
Unfortunately for the cafe, it was very quiet for lunch but our meals were soooo good. We let the waiter (who had okay English but was very lovely) choose our selection for the set menu which consisted of 3 dishes, rice, miso and a drink for 1250¥ which we found very reasonable. We ended up with the deep fried soy meat with sweet chilli sauce, falafel with tofu mayonnaise, stir fried radish with soy sauce, panang style tofu curry, ratatouille and the stir fried potato with cumin sauce. All were excellent and different in taste so made for a great meal.
My favourite was the felafel and potato dish, my partner enjoyed the soy meat and tofu curry the most.
The also have a large selection of beers and wines as well as a cocktail menu.
Once we were finished our meals (which were more than sufficient in size), we ordered the chocolate cake. The cake was moist and tasty, very much appreciated since it's hard to read anything in Japan without knowing Japanese, it had been a while since being able to eat sweets!
Overall, an excellent meal in a cute setting. We will be returning when next in Shibuya 😊

Delicious and great value! - Edit

Delicious food in a small cosy restaurant. Staff knew basic Engliand we had no trouble ordering. We both had the lunch set and it was filling and yum. It wasn't as difficult to find as made out to be - at the intersection it's right on one of the corners next to an Italian place that had a red sign 'Pinosalice' outside.

Pros: Great value, delicious

Oishii! - Edit

Right next door to Pinosalice Trattoria and Wine Bar. Delicious, cheap, and friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: all vegan, all delicious , cheap, friendly service

Cons: a little hard to find

Cosy and Comfortable - Edit

I came here for lunch on a rainy day. As mentioned in other reviews, it's a little tricky to find but just keep an eye out for the street level sign and the stairs leading down to it are behind. I got the lunch set and it was all totally delicious. As it started raining while I was here, I stayed longer and had chocolate cake and coffee too. Both were exceptional. Friendly service with good English too. Fully recommended!

Pros: Great food , Good price , Friendly service

Worth the search! - Edit

The place is definitely not easy to find, and I doubt I would have made it without a little help from a local friend. However, this is a great place with a simple atmosphere but a wide choice of vegan options: portions are small (as it is common in Japan, alas!) but the food tastes great. Even our non-vegetarian Japanese friend was amazed - or at least he faked it perfectly!

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Nice and friendly atmosphere

Cons: Not that easy to find, Slightly pricey all things considered

Tasty fresh vegan food - Edit

This is a great little vegan restaurant tucked away (need to head down some steps near the sign outside). Set meal for lunch was very tasty and there was a variety was large. Portion size was a bit small but it was all good food.

Pros: Nice atmosphere , Friendly staff, Prompt service

Cons: Portion size was a bit small

Delightful! - Edit

While working in Shibuya we needed to eat something during a lunch break. So we asked the Happy Cow app and the closest restaurant was "Nagi Shokudo". It's a five minute walk from the station to a side street of a side street. But even when the map on the smartphone says you're right in front of it, it's still hard to find! That's because the restaurant is below street level. But here's a hint: at street level one can easily see the "Pinosalice Trattoria & Wine Bar" (red and green sign) which is on the right hand side of Nagi Shokudo.

Inside Nagi Shukodo things look cheap, worn out but and simple. Yet it all looks clean and cosy. The waitress spoke both English and Japanese, the menu is bilingual as well. The menu is extensive, yet we chose the recommended menu sets number 1 (rice and fried tofu) and 2 (Japanese style curry). Despite the fact that the restaurant was packed with people, the order was processed rather quickly. Both meals were rich in taste and came with several garnishings which are usually only served in high class restaurants. Considering the low price the quality was surprisingly good. What a delight!
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 19, 2016

Pros: low prices, good food, high variety

Cons: shabby looking place

Awesome on the cheap - Edit

Little bit tricky to find in the basement (most places in Tokyo are tricky to find though) Really nice atmosphere, the set meal was large enough, and delicious and they had a couple of organic beers. A place I really will try to get back to before I leave.

Pros: Great food, Cool and cosy venue

Cons: Bit tricky to find, but worth it :)

Really good - Edit

Wonderful little place with an amazing atmosphere.
It's a bit tricky to see at first but just look for a small sign that says "vegan food" on the street.
We ordered some of the small dishes from the evening menu and got pretty full on the three dishes that we shared.
When it comes the tastes it's really good! It just feels like a big step from more "western" tastes.
The girls that worked there was nice and knew about as much english as I knew Japanese. But everything worked out fine.

Pros: Amazing food, Great athmosphere

Cons: Location is a bit off.

Boring food - Edit

Very disappointing at what "traditional" food is offered. Mainly brown rice, with miso soup and some steamed/cooked veggies. It was very bland but I did like the atmosphere of the cafe. Charming location but the food failed to charm me.

Pros: Reasonable priced, Nice mood in the cafe, Good Location

Cons: Bland

Good! - Edit

She didn't speak much English, but she was sweet and all was good anyway. The food came very quickly and it was super good! We got the vegan platter for two and there was enough and it was really good. Very few things could have been better. I think it's the best vegan restaurant I've been in so far. Price is ok too. We paid 4700 which is fair I think :)

Nice little joint, surprisingly diverse menu - Edit

I was happy, as far as the food is concerned. It's really quite good and they have a fairly large selection of dishes. The lunch plate for 1250 yen allows a choice of three different dishes. With a lunch buddy in tow and six dishes to sample, I think a fair impression can be had. If I had business in the same area more often than I do I'd be a regular for sure. (BTW, not too sure how people come to call this "Japanese home cooking", what with half of the items on the menu being Indian or Indian-inspired.) On the downside the place is mighty worn and could use more comfortable seating. And I didn't appreciate having to stand outside in the rain at 11:50 because they only open at 12:00. They were there, the place was clean, they didn't even seem busy. And yet, no sir, at 12:00 sharp please. There was also only one menu per table (what's up with that?) and the font on it was so small I needed reading glasses. I am only very mildly far-sighted so I ussually don't have trouble with reading menus. Despite these little annoyances, Nagi definitely serves some of the best vegan food in Tokyo.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 17, 2015

Pros: Great diversity of dishes, Quality cooking

Cons: Location not exactly convenient, Worn interior, So-so seating

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nagi Shokudo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.