My Thai

Serves meat, vegan options available. As with most Thai food restaurants, this one does offer tofu as protein choice in your dish (pad thai, curry, stir fry). Be sure to ask to leave out fish sauce and rinse your pot beforehand. Open for lunch and dinner.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by PennsyltuckyVeggie

The curry is where it’s at! - Edit

Great little Thai place about a mile off campus. Traditional Thai food, nothing super special about that, but well executed. Lots of curry choices, noodle dishes, and reasonable prices. The Massamman Curry was fantastic - flavorful and large.

Pros: Normal Menu, No language barrier!

Cons: A little grungy on the outside

My favorite thai in state college - Edit

I've had many good experiences here. I love their panang curry with tofu. Their tofu is usually fried although lately I've been asking them to substitute for fresh tofu. Their veggies aren't the freshest. I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased them frozen.
The portions are much larger here than at Cozy Thai.

Not Worth It - Edit

I have had mixed luck with service at My Thai. My last visit was a good one as 4 of us shared some Drunken Noodles, Pad Thai, Veggie Spring Rolls, Thai Basil Tofu and Red Curry Tofu. My favorite is to mix the Red Curry over the Pad Thai. The Vegetable Spring Rolls (Poh Pia Tod) aren't bad either. Although you will see they have WiFi, they don't let restaurant patrons access it.

The real problems were the 2 times I was served chicken at My Thai. The first time was in December 2010, I chose this restaurant for my pre half-marathon carbo load Pad Thai when I ordered tofu as my protein choice. The older woman waitress had the audacity to argue with me that I had ordered chicken.

After that it took me over 4 months to relent to hubby's, "How about My Thai for supper?" suggestion/requests for me to set foot into the restaurant again. We had purchased takeout for guests a couple of times (note they consider making take out items "really spicy" by adding gobs of chili oil) but eventually I went back for another sit down meal.

The same matron waited upon us and we clearly stated our curry and veg/tofu choices. Hubby ordered Red Curry with tofu and I ordered Masaman Curry with vegetables. We listened carefully as she repeated our orders back to us but upon it's arrival mine looked distinctly like chicken and I questioned it even before she had removed her hand from setting the steaming bowl in front of me. She looked carefully at it and although I bristled and was ready to have it out with her she apologized that it was an order for another table and whisked it away before the folks who had ordered it noticed me looking at it in disgust. She apologized again when bringing our correct bowls but I just couldn't bring myself to being sympathetic toward her.

Not a good track record all in all and the fact you have to "Be sure to ask to leave out fish sauce and rinse your pot beforehand" just makes it a real pain as a vegetarian dining experience and why I won't even suggest it as a local vegetarian dining option on my blog: http://nobacon.wordpress.com/
Updated from previous review on Friday October 21, 2011

Pros: veg options if you press them

Cons: argumentative staff, botched orders, needs to ask specifically for veg meal

Return to State College Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has My Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.