MUSE on 8th

Contact 323-933-6873

759 S La Brea Ave (at 8th St), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90036

A bright, casual coffeehouse and cafe with a vegetarian food menu. Has vegan desserts, live entertainment some nights, free Wi-Fi internet. Re-opened (all-veg) at this location Jun 2012, previously on Santa Monica Blvd. Mon-Thu 8:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-11:00pm, Sun 8:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out

First Review by gr8vegan

Amazing!!! - Edit

Muse is one of my absolute favorites !! Amazing menu, it's fully vegetarian to start and everything is easily vegan'able :-) I've been going there regularly since moving to L.A and its always yum!! Jenny the owner is a sweetheart and all the staff are lovely, foods always fresh and lots of options. All my friends locally and my friends that visit from Ireland always fall in love with the place :-) Go forth and feast there!!

yummy! - Edit

I had the vegan version of the Reuben, and it was outstanding. Menu is clearly marked with which items contain eggs or dairy, and many lacto sandwiches can be made vegan upon request with Daiya, or hummus. Comfy cafe vibe, some classic jazz/blues playing in the background, but nothing fancy. Selection of coffee and teas, with your choice of dairy, soy or almond milk.

vegan owned neighborhood cafe - Edit

I live in the neighborhood and eat here three times a week. I'm a long-term vegan and so is the owner Jennifer. They have Wi-Fi, art displays, life performance mic and great vegetarian café food. Kombucha, tea, oj, glutenfree vegan deserts. I love this place!!!

Pros: daiya cheese, vegan owned, vintage soundtrack days rock

Neighborhood Cafe with Yummy Food - Edit

I was just happy to find an all-veg place with vegan options near work, but Muse on 8th is so much more - this place has a real artsy, neighborhood hang-out feel. While the dishes are somewhat simple (wraps, paninis, etc), they are always delicious. They also hold regular events, which I'm hoping on attending one day.

Pros: Quick food, True cafe vibe, Super nice owner

Cons: Inside can get hot

Great place - Edit

MUSE on 8th is a great indie coffee shop / cafe.

The entire menu is vegetarian, but there are ton of vegan options.

Their vegan cheese cake is some of the best cheese cake I've had.

They also host events and live music.

My girlfriend and I love going to this place for breakfast. They have free wi-fi and a bunch of books available to customers. This is the type of place that encourages their customers to stay for a long time and lounge, study, work on your computer, or hang out with friends.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, live events, great atmosphere

Causal space, Filling food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Cafe Muse review.

Stopped in on a weekday morning, there were a couple other customers eating and drinking their coffee. The space is casual with ivory wall paint, tables, a piano in corner, bar stools in front of a register & counter.

The menu is veg-friendly American food (with also fish and chicken). My friend got the vegan blueberry pancakes (very good, moist, just right) and I the omelette with a side of sweet potatoes cubes. We shared a vegan sugar cookie (soft and sweet), a vegan cinnamon roll (good but too doughy/dense), hot coffee (good). The prices are cheap to fair.

My only complaint is about the ventilation - it's kinda stuffy with all the foodstuff smell sticking to the walls. Would be nice to have open windows or a fan.

Good place to come for a cup of organic coffee, a quick bite to eat, or some live entertainment (see their website for info).

Cons: needs better ventilation

Cafe Muse saved us in a pinch - Edit

During recent Dec. downpours in LA a friend and I had theather tics. I went full vegetarian three weeks ago so didnt know where to eat near the Pantages theater. I used the VegOut app on my iphone and found the address for Cafe Muse. We passed it the first time down SM Blvd. (we could'nt see due to heavy rain) When we finally found the tiny place and came in to order the guy at the counter was so super friendly. I took his suggestion and ordered the "turkey" reuben with SP Fries and got a cup of coffee. Sooooo goood!!! My veg-supportive friend ordered a wrap. She enjoyed her's too. Great vibe!! The art gallery hall way leads to a small theather in the back, I think its called the Hudson. As we left the gentleman playing live music took a break to tell us about the upcoming Lunar Elicpe. Thanks for the info, dude! Will def. come again. Get the Reuben. Its great!

Pros: Live Music, Kind Staff, Yummy Flavors

Cons: Easy to Miss

I want to go back! - Edit

Everything was fresh and delicious. The staff were very friendly and helpful in suggesting items for my non-vegetarian friends. The place is very small, but nice. Service was fast, especially for a very busy Saturday night - every table was full and there were several people coming in for takeout.

great salads and wraps! - Edit

i wish there were more places in hollywood like cafe muse. this unassuming restaurant offers quality coffee, a relaxing atmosphere and an almost entirely vegetarian menu (their only transgression is tuna). they definitely know the difference between vegan and vegetarian, and clearly mark on the menu which dishes contain dairy and/or eggs. on top of all that, and most importantly, the food is pretty damn good!

my favorite thing to order is the huge build your own salad. the leaves are always perfect and fresh, and you have the choice of several toppings including vegetables, soy chicken, tofu and hummus. the wraps are also insanely good.

cafe muse always hits the spot for a quick cheap vegan meal.

Pros: great salads, friendly staff, amazing tofu

Cons: tuna on the menu, sometimes the wait is long, seats are small

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has MUSE on 8th closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2530 times since Dec 2007.