Munsterhaus

371 St Georges Rd (at Barkly St), Fitzroy, Victoria,

A cafeteria that features a large buffet of hot and cold dishes, from which you can take what you please (small, medium, or large plates). The take-out option is one (large) size only. Similar to The Tofu Shop in Richmond but large and a cafe feel. Has Wi-Fi and a toy corner for children.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Organic, Western, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by inthemooood

Hungry munsters pay premium - Edit

Munster's meals are well prepared with a wide range of Vegan choices available, however it is ridiculously over-priced. Also the 3 size bowl system means you will be eating a mash-up of different meals and flavours; not entirely appetizing.

Pros: Good quality food

Cons: Very expensive, Small serves, Poor value

wouldn't go out of my way - Edit

Munsterhaus is almost directly opposite the Northside Clinic, where my GP practices. I used to try to make appointments for around lunchtime so I could eat there, especially if I was getting my levels checked and felt too woozy to jump on my bike straight after having blood taken. I find it a really relaxing space to hang out in. They have a beautiful polished wood counter, use cute crockery, and it's never been too busy when I've been in. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way just to eat there. I'm disappointed to hear that they've hiked their prices numerous times. It wasn't cheap to begin with so that would discourage me from going back.

Last time I are there, a small bowl cost $12 and it is a SMALL bowl. Like, smaller than a soup bowl. I was always satisfied though. And I am a greedy bastard. The food is a buffet-style mix of salads and some warm dishes. Similar to what I would cook at home, actually - really fresh, fairly low-fat, carefully prepared, wholefoods-based mix of veggies, grains, proteins. They usually have a great range to chose from. I think they recommend you get 5-7 dishes/ sides per serve. I love being able to try a little bit of a lot of different things. The downside is that they really load up your bowl so the flavours of all the dishes mingle and it can end up a bit of a mess. Especially if you're a bit of a clumsy eater like I am, bits end up falling out the side of your bowl. Please get some plates, Munsterhaus! They're actually doing themselves a huge disservice by squishing all these beautifully prepared dishes side by side into bowls the size of acorn caps!

Pros: healthy, good variety

Cons: value for money's, small bowls

Healthy, hearty food...but could be cheaper - Edit

When I ate lunch here the weekend just gone, it had been a couple of years since I'd been here and I was a bit surprised at the prices. I used to come here regularly when it first opened but today, though I have a decent appetite, I only ordered the medium plate ($16), as the large was $22. At this cafe you select from a buffet and food is served for you from behind the counter. As ever, the food is good solid home-style food - good but simple. Staff are friendly and helpful, advising on the contents of dishes. Lunch today was good - a tofu dish, fried rice, quinoa salad, roast potatoes, broccoli and baba ganoush - and even the kale was tolerable. The general approach is down-to-earth but I wish the prices matched this a bit more. That said, you get a decent-sized serving in place of frills. This place is in a part of town where brunch costs $20, so I guess it has to survive somehow.

Pros: Decent, healthy food, Helpful staff

Cons: A little bit pricy

Creative Vegetarian Cuisine - Edit

Different priced plate system here where they load your selected scrumptious options onto the plate complete with their yummy, fresh cigar shaped dinner rolls. They must have a very good chef at Munsterhaus. Healthy and delicious.

Yummy Treats! - Edit

Really like this place for a casual dinner before heading out.

Buffet suits all of your moods, so you can just make a decision on a whim. Quite expensive, the only drawback.

Pros: Options, Tasty

Cons: Expensive

Munsterhaus - Edit

Delicious freshly made selection of vegan food, with a menu that varies according to what's in season and the whims of the kitchen. There's a small toy corner for kids. Decor is art deco. The small bowl ($10) is plenty for me, especially as they usually squash in as much as possible.

Pros: fresh & delicious, feels like a home kitchen, no steps at entrance

Return to Fitzroy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Munsterhaus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1831 times since Oct 2010.