First Review by mtp51053

Pre-Theater Dining - Edit

We had a nice dinner here before seeing a play in Oak Park. The dining room is small, and it was completely full, but it didn't feel uncomfortable. The food was ok. Certainly nothing was wrong with the way it was prepared, but the dish I ordered was in the vein of "vegetarian pile"--a bunch of ingredients thrown together without any strong justification. I think that this is not Munch's fault specifically, but more of a problem that arises because there is not (yet) a strong American vegetarian food tradition. My husband didn't have any complaints about his BLT and soup, except that he didn't prefer them to his own cooking. Overall, the experience was generally pleasant, and I would recommend that others at least give the restaurant a try. I'm not sure I would go out of my way to go there again, but if I find myself in the area, I'd give it another go.

Pros: Hearty portions, Pleasant dining area, Nice staff

Cons: Menu a bit boring

Probably my favorite restaurant in Chicago... - Edit

Oh goodness... this place has such a place in my heart. I love it that much. Whenever I'm back home in Chicago visiting family I drag them here as often as I can. Most times I've been there I've had a different server, and they're always friendly, quick and helpful.

Their Tarragon Chicken wrap is friggin incredible! Every time I go there it's like this war between trying something new and going for what I know I love... I'm determined to try the vegan lasagna next time I'm in town, because I've heard awesome things about it. Their soups have all been consistently good. For my side I usually roll with their sauteed greens or their house salad.

I can't recommend this place enough.. Munch is a small, cozy, independently run operation, so if you're ever in the Chicago area--do yourself a favor and make your way out there and check them out!

Good food, great desserts - Edit

This is a small cafe in a quaint little area of Oak Park. It's cozy and comfortable and the food is pretty good, prices are reasonable, and the service is friendly and quick. I particularly like the desserts. They have a very good variety of baked goods, both gluten free and with gluten. Their brunch is very good. I tend to eat here mostly for brunch, but I have brought meat eating clients here for lunch and they really liked it.

Pros: Good Food, Great Desserts, Fair Prices

Great vegetarian/mostly vegan spot - Edit

Really great veggie spot. Nice staff, comfy, yet stylish dining area. Appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, smoothies, desserts.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 10, 2012

Also, mostly vegan and they have Gluten-Free/Vegan options.

Veggie heaven - Edit

Great options for vegetarians and vegans, but also just plain great food. Cornmeal pancakes, Rueben sandwich, kale salad are all fabulous. Healthy, tasty smoothies!

Cons: Cash only, though they have an ATM

Love Munch - Edit

I've been to Munch several times and each time I've had a wonderful experience. The Staff is super helpful, very friendly and very accommodating. The restaurant has a really nice atmosphere and down-home kind of feel. You feel very welcomed eating here, and the love and care put into the food shows.

I've had several different things off the menu so far.

For appetizers i'd have to say my favorites are the "beefy" nachos which are made with seitan and are phenomenal!

The lentil soup and the Kale Protein salad are also very good. Also their seasonal soups have been great.

Their Philly is great, and I normally get a side of House Salad which is good, or the kale salad which is great, but their mashed sweet potatoes are also to die for if you're in the mood for them!

The Tarragon Instedda Chicken Wrap is very good.

The Groovy Plate is great simple fare if you want to keep things light and healthy. The Veg Lasagna is awesome, and Enchilada's are good too!

Definitely worth the trip!

Pros: Consistently good food, Good prices, Good Parking

Cons: Wish there was greater variety , Wish there were More Vegan Appetizers

Great! - Edit

I love Munch! I go there every time I'm in Oak Park to visit family. They have great vegan options, ranging from delicious (and higher calorie) comfort foods, to delicious and nutritious salads. The only negative is that it can be hard to choose among the many great menu options. I particularly enjoy their kale salad. I strongly recommend this restaurant.

Delicious Food - Edit

Went for lunch & loved the black bean burger. Great desserts too. If they had more kid options would give 5 stars!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 18, 2013

Pros: Tasty Vegan Food, Fast Friendly Service

Cons: Poor Choices For Kids

Quick and Enjoyable - Edit

I was at a seminar in the Chicago area and used by Happy Cow app to find a restaurant to try on my way back to Detroit. Munch sounded delicious and off we went. The server was very friendly and helpful. I ordered the breakfast burrito (with quinoa, tofu, beans and a nice spicy salsa on the side), my mom got the seitan tostadas with cow cheese. The meals came out within minutes. I had a very good coffee and the server suggested a delicious berry tea for mom. I wanted dessert (they had shakes, smoothies and floats with natural sodas), but I just couldn't make any more room.
Updated from previous review on Monday June 17, 2013

Pros: Variety of vegan items, Desserts!, Fast and friendly service

Cons: I don't live in Chicago, A bit noisy, but lively, Cash only

Great food, great service - Edit

Being from Oak Park (but living elsewhere now) I was surprised and excited to see a vegan/vegetarian restaurant listed on Happy Cow. My husband and I went to brunch at Munch and were very happy with our meals. We had the breakfast sandwich, cornmeal pancakes, and the comfort breakfast (tofu scramble, toast, potatoes). We also had the tropical smoothie and green smoothie. Everything was delicious. The only complaint was the tofu scramble needs a bit more seasoning, my husband wasn't impressed with the lack of flavor. We absolutely loved the breakfast sandwich and both smoothies were amazing. Their homemade bacon is incredible - we went back two mornings in a row to get it! Great service - especially with the server from Detroit! :)

Pros: Great tasting food, Nice atmosphere (music, etc.), Good service

Cons: Extra cost for organic syrup, Extra cost for bananas/nuts on pancakes, Too many extra costs in general

Nice little spot - Edit

We came to Munch recently for brunch, and enjoyed it a great deal. The pancakes were absolutely delicious, and the hit for us. They were cornmeal and had a lovely texture. My tofu scramble was less good, but still adequate, though some nicer bread would have been appreciated. The staff were super friendly and the prices fair. A bit on the small side, so get there early to be sure of seating!

Great Little Place - Edit

To begin, we had the spicy "beef" nachos made vegan. It was topped with Daiya and Upton's Naturals chorizo. It could have been a bit warmer, but there were probably 30 people at this little cafe so I don't blame them for the heat factor. It was a pretty filling appetizer so I would get again. The radishes were a bit confusing, though. I'm not sure why they were on the nachos.

For entree's, my friend had the vegan lasagna with the soup of the day. I had a bite of each. The soup was excellent. Perfect for a fall day. The lasagna was also very good! I would definitely get this again as it looked like a filling entree portion. I ordered the Philly "steakless" sandwich. They use Upton's Naturals gyro style seitan which one can only get wholesale through the company. I've had it before by ordering bulk and freezing with the Chicago Vegan Co-Op. I really love Upton's Naturals wholesale products (even more than the retail seitan they have). You don't see it too often in restaurants, so I was really excited to see it on Munch's menu. I'm also glad that they're supporting a local vegan company like Upton's. The sandwich was a bit salty for my taste. Again, this could be because they were rushing to fill so many orders. It was filled with Daiya and sauteed mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers. The side I got was sauteed greens. These were really exceptional. I'm a bit of a dark leafy green freak (I eat raw kale salad 4-6 times a week), so I always go for the greens when I see 'em on the menu. The meal was so big, I took half the sandwich home for later. We were much too full for dessert, but the cafe offers vegan milk shakes, cookies, and brownies.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of_19.html

Pros: very vegan-friendly, great location

Cons: small seating area

Munch - Edit

I had never had a reason to venture out to Oak Park until recently (with the opening of Munch). I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised to find it located in such a charming area of Oak Park - it was very cute. We ordered the Philly steak sandwich and the black bean burger - both were pretty fabulous. I especially liked the garlic vegan mayonnaise, which I believe to be made from Vegenaise, and our side order of potatoes was also very flavorful. My bf is not vegan and he mentioned that he'd be likely to return on his own...that says a lot. I also would suggest this place for lunch or as a non-fancy dinner. This place is a solid 4, but I'm adding a star given the location.

What a find! - Edit

This terrific little restaurant could easily sway meat eaters to give up their animal devouring ways. Featuring great American food, this tiny (20 seats) establishment is neat and tidy with friendly and quick service. Some of the entree offerings are:lasagna, BLT, pulled "pork" sandwich, a variety plate called the Groovy Plate, and there are also several salads, soups and desserts. Prices are reasonable and portions are good sized. There is one restroom which is large, clean and well stocked. A self pay parking lot is only steps away.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, fair prices

Munch For Lunch or Any Other Time! - Edit

Munch restaurant opened today at 11:00 am. I was the first one to welcome Oak Park's only vegan/vegetarian restaurant. The minute you walk into the place, you are greeted warmly by the waitstaff and owner Robin. Being a brand new place, it was immaculate and the tables were nicely spread about. There is outdoor seating also where both 2 and 4 footed friends are welcomed.

I ordered the Philly cheesesteak with mashed sweet potatoes and a glass of organic lemonade. The philly cheesesteak was awesome! Served on a crusty baguette, it consisted of marinated "steak" seitan with mushrooms, onions and green peppers with your choice of real cheese or vegan mozzarella. The mashed sweet potatoes were out of this world! I tasted a hint of banana and brown sugar which was a pleasant surprise. The organic lemonade was just the right amount of sweet and tart to quench anyone's thirst on such a hot day.

All in all, Munch restaurant will not disappoint the vegan/vegetarian nor those who are not. All their food is homemade and fresh. The people there are the friendliest you will ever meet. I give it 5 stars and am so grateful that finally I have a place that I can go and eat that caters to my taste and beliefs. Good job everyone!

Pros: Food, staff, clean

Cons: none

Return to Oak Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Munch closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4107 times since Jul 2011.