Mumokuteki

Contact 093-582-8924

Kitakyushu, Kitakyushu, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Billed as a vegetarian restaurant but uses dashi (fish stock) in the soup. If you ask for the soup with no dashi the staff will give you a vegan version. Most of the remaining menu including dessert is fully vegan. Makes vegan versions of all the local favorite foods and some from other nearby countries, has soy frozen yogurt and soy tiramisu. Nice interior. Japanese address: 福岡県北九州市小倉北区中井5丁目19-11 Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by BlissingOut

My New Kyoto Favourite - Edit

I went here for the first time this month, after over a year and a half living in Osaka, and ended up going twice in the same day! I was skeptical because the restaurant is listed as only "Veg Friendly," but in reality it is practically vegan, with only dashi used in some soup (clearly marked on the menu). I tried the Loco Moco plate (very good!), a soy parfait with tofu, mochi, berries, and granola, (good but not incredible) and a super delicious kabocha squash soup with bread and salad. The ambience inside the place is extremely nice, and although the space is quite large, it's divided up well and was busy with customers throughout the day.
My friend and I weren't that hungry and wanted to share a plate the first time we went, but were required to order 1 menu item each (so we ordered dessert). However, they then only brought 1 set of utensils for the plate we clearly intended to share, placed it emphatically in front of me rather than between us, and the waitress stressed that the salad bar buffet which came with it was only for 1 person. It was almost comical. I understand them wanting people to pay fairly for their experience, but I really felt that sharing a portion between 2 shouldn't be such a big deal. We had no intention of abusing the salad bar (I know they couldn't know that though), but if they were really worried about it they could easily have simply charged us for 1 extra, which we would have gleefully done (in fact it almost seemed like that wasn't "allowed). That would be my only major complaint- everything else was wonderful.

Pros: Beautiful interior design, Great food, Big menu

Cons: Strangely inflexible service

Saving my butt - Edit

This restaurant is fantastic. Japan is a country where it's very difficult to get any vegetarian meals, and people will tell you something is vegetarian when it isn't. I have not found that to be the case here. Mumokuteki has a really diverse menu that appears to be 100% vegetarian except for the soup. But ask for the soup without dashi (fish stock), and you're good to go. Every time I go here I get something different and its always really delicious - good by my standards back home too. If you're a vegetarian in the area, then this place will definitely help you out.

Pros: Vegan versions of local food, Soymilk-vegetable smoothies, Chill decor

Cons: Fish stock in the soup, Servers speak no English

Return to Kitakyushu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mumokuteki closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 863 times since Jan 2013.