MUM Veggie Cafe

+852-21153348

G07, G/F, One Island South, 2 Heung Yip Rd, Wong Chuk Hang (at Aberdeen Sports Ground), Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

A vegetarian cafe offering soups, starters, salads, mains, cakes, tea, coffee, and juice. Free Wi-Fi. Directions: For minibus 4C from Causeway Bay, it's the 2nd bus stop (Aberdeen sports ground) after Aberdeen tunnel. Or take the MTR to Wong Chuk Hang. Previously named MUM Veggie Coffee Sweet. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International

First Review by Stevie

MUM Veggie Cafe - Edit

A few of us visited this place for lunch on a Saturday. While it's vegan-friendly (I had sent them a Facebook message before asking which items were vegan and/or didn't contain onion and garlic), it turned out that there were some discrepancies between what had been communicated and what was on the menu or was eventually served.

I was sent a Chinese menu of their Japanese set lunch and an English/Chinese menu of other set lunches. I was told that only three items from their lunch menu contained onion/garlic, out of which only one (the creamy spaghetti main course) wasn't vegan.

However, when we were there and had sight of the English menu for the Japanese set lunch, we realised that one of the items was chawan mushi (egg custard) and that the oden contained egg. On hindsight, that the oden contained egg was mentioned in the Chinese menu, and the Chinese characters for chawan mushi would have been obvious to a native Chinese speaker familiar with Japanese dishes. I had not perused the menu carefully enough based on what had been communicated.

Staff were happy to oblige our requests of oden sans egg, but my English-speaking friend still had a soft-boiled egg served with hers.

I have suggested to them to label their menus to indicate vegan/buddhist-friendly options. It would certainly take the pressure off counter staff of answering questions on the spot, especially if there's a queue.

That aside, food was well-presented and delicious, ambience was great, and we had a leisurely and enjoyable meal. Will definitely be back to try other items.

Updated from previous review on 2018-01-09

Pros: Delicious japanese lunch set; Cosy, relaxing space, Menu in English/Chinese, Can make enquiries/reservations via Facebook

Cons: Would be better if vegan items are labelled

Delicious options! - Edit

We loved the lunch set. There were enough options to satisfy my husband, the adventurous eater, and me, the lucky one. The food is fresh and delicious.

Fantastic lunch! - Edit

Had the brown rice curry and the avocado quinoa salad.

Both were delicious - we’re looking forward to coming back again soon.

Get in early though - two of the three specials had sold out by 12:45pm.

What a great cafe! - Edit

Two of us visited this cafe for lunch today.
We walked there from Aberdeen after finding that Destine had closed, but it's far easier and simpler to take the MTR to Wong Chuk Hang, which is really close by the restaurant.

It's a bright, nicely air conditioned place with ample seating.

Staff were friendly and pointed out the two lunch time dishes of the day. We paid in advance at 90 HK$ each and sat down to wait.

Food arrived after a few minutes and was well presented. I ordered a veggie curry which was filling. It consisted of a bowl of miso soup (yummy) first, then a dish of red rice and the fresh, cooked to exactly how I like them veggies (slightly crunchy with a tasty curry sauce. Tea was included.
The other dish was their special of the day and consisted of the miso soup and tea as well. It was a noodle dish with lots of onion, tofu and other veggies. There was also an egg in a kind of tofu bag on the side, which was really cute. I ended up finishing off this dish as my wife was already full and I can say it was delicious.

Thus, for a bright and cheerful meal at a reasonable price, I would very much recommend this restaurant

Updated from previous review on 2017-10-10

Pros: Very tasty food at an affordablr price, A nice environement to eat in, Friendly staff

Cons: A bit hard to get to for the first time.

Japanese vegan meal - Edit

I came here all the way just to try this cafe. It's very cosy place. We tried the Japanese meal set. Taste really good although the food is not very hot. They also have pasta, salad, sandwiches and desserts.. Definitely wanna come again to try other things.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Cosy and quiet environment

lovely cafe with great Japanese lunch set - Edit

Really liked this place. Has friendly service, nice wooden tables and seating, and funky music playing in the background.

I visited during lunch - they had various sets on offer like quinoa avocado salad, pasta salad, mango Greek salad, veggie curry rice, dumpling soup with udon and Japanese set. All the lunch sets come with Japanese tea and either Kombu miso soup or pumpkin soup. Generally under HKD 100 per set.

I went for the Japanese set which is vegan - chose burdock and carrot Kimpira style (delicious salt and sweet taste), deep fried tofu with sweet miso (thin wafer like batter and soft and tender inside), and bean pocket with lotus root (lovely textures). I loved the whole set. Japanese tea and miso soup were great too.

Want to come back to try the vegan cakes and coffees. They also had bagels and other items in a display counter, and have Happy Cow vegan ice cream.

Easy to reach if you take the South Island line to Wong Chuk Hang station. It's only a few minutes walk from the MTR station, with the entrance on Yip Fat Street.

Pros: nice venue , friendly service , good lunch sets

MUM Veggie Cafe, Hong Kong - Edit

Rebranded as Mum Veggie Cafe, May 2016

I really like this place, I've been going since the end of last year. It's the kind of place where in Europe or North America I'd gladly spin up and spend a couple of hours at my laptop while I get some food and drink into me. This is the 1st such kind of place that is all vego that I've been able to find so far in Hong Kong.

It's vegan friendly but not exclusively so. They do cakes, coffee, smoothies etc and also have a hot meals menu (see photo).

There is minimalist style décor with some slightly off mainstream music playing (but by no means at an over powering volume, it was still easy to speak and be heard).

Updated from previous review on 2015-03-26

Pros: Vegan friendly, Nice vibe and atmo, Good wifi

Cons: Not all vegan, No labelling of vegan dishes on the menu

love this place - Edit

Love the healthy lunch sets, friendly staff, tastes great, very clean and also the lunch salads and sandwiches are very convenient for me when I'm traveling to remote places for work and haven't prepared my own lunch

Great place! - Edit

Fantastic atmosphere and great vegan baked goods. Little pricey, but for Hong Kong it's worth it.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has MUM Veggie Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.