Mukunda's Kitchen

Contact 09-3007585

286 Karangahape Rd, Newton, Auckland, New Zealand,

Serves large and small size course meal like lentil soup, vegetable curry on rice, pakora with chutney and dessert. No egg, onion, or garlic used. Jan 2013 reported change of ownership; previously Hare Krishna Food For Life, and then Govinda's. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-7:00pm, Sat 11:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by misssakura

Full for small money - Edit

Mukundas Kitchen is located a bit out of downtown, but with decent opening hours and very convenient food.
In- and outdoor seating with nice atmosphere, Krishna music and a few Krishna book lying on the tables as well.
Staff seems a bit disorganized sometimes, but nothing major. Food is nothing really special, therefore tasty, served quickly and really inexpensive.
I ate the menu there three days in a row when I was in town.
I absolutely love this place!

Pros: great value!!, nice interior, very inexpensive

Cons: bit far off

so good - Edit

used to eat here for lunch just about every day when i worked just off k rd.

its cheap and good. not everything is vegan so be sure to ask before ordering. if u have a few gold coins you will definitely leave with a full belly.

Pros: cheap, give student discounts

Cons: none really

Need more of these little cafes. Would have loved to have one on Dominion Road. Cheap as and devine. No onion and garlic wahooo. I love the curd steaks in tomato sauce and the samosa and that desert with custard mmm. I just made myself hungry.

Pros: cheap, no onion or garlic, pure

SO GOOD!! - Edit

I have been here numerous times and have taken friends, veg or not, here. Its so good for students like myself who have a tight wallet. $5 can get you a great filling lunch. And taking away some pakoras for just $2 that will certainly fill me up for afternoon tea is really something very hard to get in the city! Always happy to pop by and plus, the staff are friendly and there are lots of seats.

Pros: Really good value, Delicious food, Lots of seating

Yum! - Edit

It is a fantastic feed for just $6.00!! Cheap cheap!!Nice & friendly staff who are more than happy to serve you and a peaceful atmosphere:) A good place to go to if you don't have much money in your wallet and you're looking for a decent feed. See for yourself! You're going to love it:) :) The only con is the restaurant is a bit on the small side and it can get a bit noisy (but on a positive note atleast that makes it nice & cozy)

Pros: Friendly staff, Big portions, good value

Cons: Noisy

Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare... - Edit

Cheap and filling. Right in the center of Auckland's seedy K-Rd, this is by far the best value for money restaurant if you want a vegan meal without the options. Slap five bucks in their hand and they'll slap a filling rice and poppadum meal with a tasty sauce on your plate. large - hard to finish meal, but I'm not sure if that's the repetitive Hare Krishna music that drills your brain to the point of evacuation. Besides the music it gets the job done. Be sure to ask for the dairy free (vegan) option.

Pros: Price, quantity, quick service

Cons: Variety, music

Good for lighter wallets - Edit

I tried this restaurant on a cold, rainy and miserable day when my wallet had taken a substantial beating. My partner and I ordered one platter between us. I'm happy to say that it was a substantial meal even when shared. I won't lie and say the food is amazing but it's good, affordable stomach filler. I don't think the meal was vegan but I felt content with the variety we had been given. The decor is a bit gloomy.

Pros: Cheap, Variety of food in 1 meal, Charity based cafe

Cons: A little bit bland, Often not vegan, A bit gloomy

amber_downthewells 22 Feb 2013 - The $4/$5 thali is vegan except for the dessert, though they are pretty good about giving you extra pakoras if you don't want the desert! Of course, the paneer and lasagna are lacto-ovo.

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mukunda's Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.