Mugshots Coffeehouse

• Veg-friendly
Contact 267-514-7145

1925 Fairmount Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19130

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee house located opposite historic site Eastern State Penitentiary. Offers fair-trade organic coffee drinks, plus teas, fresh juices, soy smoothies, desserts (including vegan), and light meals made with local produce whenever possible.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by hairgirl

Has a bunch of veg options - Edit

Mugshots is walkable to Community College of Philadelphia which was how I found out about this place. They have a bunch of vegan entrees and desserts. I was there and had a very good veg dessert, which I forget when writing this. They have plenty of veg entrees as well. Staff are knowledgeable about veg food options. Also a great place to sit and read a book, do work, etc, just like a Starbucks would be.

Pros: Staff know about veg options, Plenty of veg options, Veg desserts

Just ok - Edit

Ordered the teriyaki bowl which didnt seem to have much teriyaki but was more of a curry bowl. I dont like curry so i returned it and tried to get the vegan blt but they were out of the "b" (tempeh bacon) even though it was only lunch time. That took a couple options off the menu that contained the bacon and left the hummus wrap which was good, but nothing exciting. Only positve was that they had soy milk out for the coffee drinks Wouldn't bother going back.

Decent - Edit

Mugshots used to carry Vegan Treats, but have recently begun to make their own vegan desserts. This upsets me, because Vegan Treats makes better desserts than their new replacements. That aside, there are some vegan options here. They do carry Tofutti cream cheese for bagels and some of the sandwiches are vegan, but you must specify "vegan" to be sure.

In the past, some employees lacked a care for vegan separation from meats in the kitchen. One example being that we ordered a vegan BLT but instead got real bacon on the sandwich. When we returned to get a new sandwich, we noticed the employee taking the bacon off the sandwich and putting tempeh strips that he just microwaved onto the already-contaminated sandwich. Not okay. Maybe meat eaters don't mind when one meat is switched with another, but believe it or not vegans do not want meat on a sandwich at any point in the process. This does not reflect the coffee shop's vegan practices, it may have just been a careless employee.

I do recommend this place to visit if you are passing by, as they do offer fair trade coffee and some vegan sandwiches.

Pros: Some vegan options, Fair Trade coffee, tasty

Cons: A bit pricey, Small portions, A smile from employees never hurts

Great coffee house with vegan options! - Edit

I love Mugshots! I have a soy latte with a vegan BLT, salad, and vegan cookie for dessert. All were awesome, and the people that work there are very nice. Great place!

Pros: food, service, atmosphere

Cons: not all vegan

This place is pretty great. - Edit

I stopped in after visiting the museums and eastern state penn across the street and enjoyed myself so much I almost didn't leave. I had the vegan BLT, it was ok, not disapointing, I then had a huge piece of vegan german chocolate cake with a huge cup of fair trade coffee.... nice. Then I hung out on their comfy chairs to rewind from the day of being a tourist, it was absolutely perfect, I highly recommend it. I generally don't give five stars to places selling so much meat and I'm not going to here but I could have, there are really a lot of veggie options and enough vegan options, especially for the occational visitor. If you are visiting the art museums, or eastern state penn... Come here, seriously, no maybe, relax, think about the great art you've just seen, listen to college girls tell you their problems, go crazy, enjoy the well earned sugar high.. relax and feel good about your life and your dietary choices.

Pros: character, a crumbling prison across the street, should all prisons be museums?

Cons: lots of meat on the menu

Cozy Coffee House - Edit

I stopped for lunch after visiting the State Pen... What a great place to hang out and have a yummy lunch. I was very surprised at the number of Vegan items available. I had the BLT with a side salad and topped it off with a Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie. The price was right and the portion was perfect.

This Place Rules!! - Edit

I love this place. It's a cute little thing (though they just expanded). The vegan food is delish (esp the vegan blt). The owner is very responsive if you send an e-mail inquiry.

Pros: Vegan BLT, Vegan Treats, atmosphere

Cons: closes early, majority of menu is non-vegan

Yum! - Edit

I stumbled onto this place after going to the Eastern State Penitentiary, which is right across the street and explains the prison themed names of dishes, and was so excited. I had the vegan blt and it was pretty darn tasty.

Pros: Good Location, Friendly Staff, Good Food

Cozy coffee house - Edit

Mugshots is my favorite place in Philly to get coffee. They have always gotten my order correct, and service has been efficient and the food/drink always delicious. I never feel that I have to worry about what I'm eating when I'm here, because everything on the menu is organic and locally grown if possible. The staff has always been very friendly too! Mugshots has internet access and a variety of books and newspapers to read while there. They also have plenty of comfy places to sit. I would highly recommend going here for some coffee and a bite to eat.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, delicious coffee

Cons: a little pricey, parking can be hard to find

Great vegan sandwiches - Edit

If you want a healthy but tasty vegan sandwich, go the mugshots. They have a good variety AND they have vegan moonpies!

They are also very environmentally friendly and run their restaurant on wind energy.

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mugshots Coffeehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1180 times since Aug 2007.