CLOSED: Mudra Natural Cafe

Via Parenzo, 7, Milan, Italy, 20143

An organic restaurant offering a selection of vegan dishes and desserts. Full vegan breakfast with vegappuccio (vegan cappuccino) and croissant. Reservation is suggested. Moved to this new location April 2, 2015. Confirmed closed, Jan 2016.

Category: Vegan, Italian, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Alessandro

An apparent decline - Edit

I´ve been there twice, and had wholly different experiences. The first one was fabulous. Not only did I eat the best lasagna ever (with silken tofu), it actually remains one of my favourite meals in almost 40 years.
The second one was just the other day, at their new location, which proved to be nearly inaccesible. After taking two different underground lines and a train to San Cristoforo, we were confident it was just a short walk. However, as the train station is open on one side only (the "wrong" one), we ended up having to take a taxi from there. The driver was unsure where Mudra was (understandable, as they just opened), and we had to ask around until we finally found it. Maybe some locals can write directions so that folks can actually find it in the future. As if that weren't enough, they had a blackout in the area and no electricity, but that problem was solved within some 15 min. We finally ordered, and all five dishes plus two starters were average at best. Luckily I had already been told by the friendly waiter that it wasn't the same lasagna, but this one was slightly salty and far from the level of greatness they previously showed. Desserts were not stellar either, especially the almond pudding that was plain mediocre. It seems like the reason why they moved was space; now they have quite a (dance) floor and I imagine such activities are a top priority for them, perhaps at the expense of the food. Regrettably, I see no reason to return to Mudra.

Worth a visit - Edit

We went there for dinner. A reservation had to be made, but the place was not full.
Overall everything was cooked in a good vegan manner, though I was a bit surprised that the seitan that I ordered was quite salty. The staff was friendly, and the location is a bit out of the way but definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff

Cons: Salty seitan

Yummmm! - Edit

This is a must try restaurant in Milan, especially if you are vegetarian or vegan! The restaurant has converted to all organic and vegan and was amazing. I took my friend who is not veg, and she loved everything! The atmosphere is relaxing and the food stellar!

Pros: Food is stellar , Price is good for the quality , Staff knowledgable and friendly

Cozy, nice atmosphere, but a bit pricey - Edit

This quiet corner in the very busy navigli neighborhood is a welcome refuge from chaos.
The owners are really careful and nice, friendly and available for explaining dishes.
In my experience, though, food is not always that good, and comes at an above average price.

Pros: Atmosphere, Location, Staff

Cons: Food quality, Value for money

Cool and chilling - Edit

Mudra was the first vegan restaurant I went in Milan more than 3 years ago and I'm always happy to eat here again. Even during the day if I'm nearby, I often go for a fresh juice.

The restaurant is welcoming, nice, small and quiet even if it's located near Piazza XXIV Maggio, a busy square near navigli. It is furnished with an indian theme althought the cousine is Italian.

The staff is very kind and nice and I've alywas loved both the way I was treated and the dishes the chef cooked. Ah don't forget to taste a dessert too, ask for what's available.

The restaurant is small, reservation is strongly suggested.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good food!, Gentle staff

Cons: May not be able to eat without reserv.

Very special - Edit

Good selection of food in a friendly environment with indoor and outdoor tables. The starting point for a romantic evening on the Navigli but... Remember to book in advance :)

Pros: Friendly staff, Cakes

Nice atmosphere and quality food - Edit

I've been there for a dinner and I found a very calm and quiet atmosphere, very paceful and friendly staff. I've ordered a very good algae salad, then a yummy lasagna with silken tofu and Trevisano chicory, then a sweety classic italian cake: tiramisù.
The restaurant is placed in a nice Place of Milan and they offers a wide choise of activities during the day.
It is not cheap but sometimes it's nice to go there in order to enjoy a special dinner.

Pros: quality food, atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: Prices

Good vegan food in Milan - Edit

I've been there few months ago and I still remember it. I took my parents with me and although they are not vegetarian nor vegan, they did enjoyed all the food we had too.
Very tasty and very friendly staff too.
A nice place where to go in Milan!

Gem in the middle of Milan - Edit

I have come over from Australia on business a few times in the past year and always visit Mudra. The guys that work there are fantastic, they always remember me and we've struck up a friendship and often recommend each other documentaries. They have a real passion for what they cook. They have one of the most extensive menus I've seen in a Vegan restaurant, and I've tried and loved a lot of it. The restaurant itself can be a little hard to find. It's situated right in Navigli, but to find it you have to keep an eye out for a small sign for "Mudra Natural Cafe" when you get to the address. Once you find the sign there's a driveway/alley to walk down and the restaurant will be on your right hand side. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, vegan or not.

Pros: Variety, Friendly Staff, Relaxed environment

Cons: Can be hard to find

brilliant food - Edit

thanks for great food and experience, it was all amazing.
All the best to these breave guys for opening such a fantast place in a city that can be quite difficult like Milan :)
Grazie mille e in bocca al lupo!

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere, good service

Yummi! - Edit

I went there last year for dinner with my omnivores relatives (one of them is a teen-ager, skeptical of healty and veg food) and we all found it tasty, refined but not pompous, healty...perfect!

There is a wide choice, also for the desserts, and the crew is really nice and interested in new recipes, dishes and ideas! I think that's an example of place where you can find the best of italian style, and now that i heard about the croissants i will definitely return this year my family!

Pros: Excellent food, Healty cuisine, Peaceful, calm

Fantastic Lunch - Edit

My partner and I had lunch here when staying in Milan. The owner is very friendly and it is a lovely restaurant.

I had the vegan of the day lunch which consisted of rice, Seiten with carrots and veg and a raddish dish for 9 euro's. The Seiten was lovely and the rice had some sea kelp in it which tasted divine. My partner had the club sandwich (5-6 euro) which is quiet large. My only complaint is that they didn't have croissants when were in town! But hey we had cake instead -YUM! :)

We felt portion sizes were good for the price and quality. Loved the decor and feel of this restaurant and the food is delicious, a must when in Milan - very impressed

Did not find it that hard to locate - Take tram 3 from Via Torino (near Duomo) get off at Piazza XXIV Maggio (about 6 minutes), turn right as you step off tram, walk right at traffic lights and it is about 300 metres down the road - the restaurant is in a small square just off the street, there should be a sign on the pavement advertising it. (we used the map in the Lonely Planet guide so cross referencing with that makes it easy)

Happy Cruelty Free Eating :)

Updated from previous review on Sunday July 03, 2011
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 03, 2011

Pros: ambience , Food Quality, Service

Tasty - but expensive - Edit

The food was very good. The menu was filled with new ideas. Thats 2 big pros.

But now theres a big con: I payed more than ten euro for a serving that didnt even come close to filling me up.

The service was excellent and very friendly by the way. He recommended a very good tea- and i dont use to drink tea. but i liked it ;)

P.S.: Its a little hard to find this place. So keep on searching - its hidden in a backyard!

Pros: tasty, fresh ideas, excellent service

Cons: bad value for money, hard to find

Pleasant atmosphere - Edit

Small place (four tables outside) with creative and delicious vegan dishes, salads and soups. Good selection of vegan cakes and desserts ("tiramisù" is a must!). Have an assortment of fruit and herbal teas. Reasonably priced and friendly staff.

Pros: excellent quality, friendly staff

Return to Milan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mudra Natural Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7101 times since Jul 2010.