First Review by moonwomyn13

Ms. Julie's should go viral - Edit

Since I live a bit away and prefer to eat out as a treat, I don't eat at Ms. Julie's as often as I would otherwise like. Their vegan food (yes, watch for honey in the granola bars) is amazing and has this lovely "yes I was made at home what you lookin at" sort of feel. It's not haute cuisine, but you won't care after your first bite. Or first whiff. The menu changes depending on what's in season, as all good restaurants should. Most of the produce is grown on Ms. Julie's own farm (yes, she runs a farm AND a restaurant. You don't get more committed than that.)

The food is all organic, based on the core principles that started the organic idea. This is not the corporate machine. This is people living in harmony with the earth and wanting to share that with everyone around them.

Ms. Julie's hosts events from time to time, from fundraisers to movie nights to pizza parties. You MUST have the cashew cheeze on sprouted grain pizza crust.

The parking lot is small. Park on a side street if you have to and walk a few steps. Won't kill most of us.

Pros: OMG local organic vegan food, Staff that feels like my family. Except vegan, whi, Julie is a walking, talking miracle. Ask her how s

Cons: Oh no, you might have to walk from a side street, Not near most other things I like, Expensive but worth every damn penny

AMAZING MAC N CHEESE! - Edit

I'm not sure what the other review was talking about when they said the sloppy mac n cheese was pasty- mine was creamy and delicious! It literally tasted like Stouffer's Mac n Cheese. There was a thin layer of lentils on top which I think is what made it "sloppy". On our way out we saw Ms. Julie carrying in her pulp from her juicer for the composite pile. So cute! Can't wait to come back!!

Unprofessional staff left unhappy customer - Edit

After reading many good reviews I was excited to try this place. When entering we asked for a menu and the waitress just pointed at a chalk board. We ordered - I had the spring rolls - my boyfriend had the macaroni - which was great. My spring rolls were hard, and when I took my first bite I saw that the veggies seemed to not be the freshest - the cucumber had no moisture, the sprouts were dried and turning brown and the cilantro was dark green and slimy. I stood for about 5 minutes at the kitchen until someone noticed me standing there. I showed her the food and asked when it was made - she told me Friday - and today is Monday. Doesn't seem very fresh to me. If I wanted 3 day old food I would eat leftovers from home, not $9 spring rolls. When I go out to lunch I don't expect to eat food that was made three days prior. I explained the produce was all wilted and old and she looked at me like I was crazy. I gave it back and went and sat down - was not offered or asked if I wanted something else. A few minutes later I saw and heard the two girls eating my spring rolls and making faces. Then a customer they knew came in and they called him back and also had him try them and then continued to talk about them. Extremely unprofessional as I was about 5 feet from them and heard and saw all that took place. I was so shocked at this behavior and will definitely never return to this restaurant. And also, the floors could be swept once in a while.

Pros: Good macaroni, Cool looking restaurant

Cons: 3 day old food served, Unkept floors, Unprofessional staff

JulieCostell Hi Mereasa! Thank you for coming and trying our food...sorry you left unhappy:( I remember coming in after this and asked what was wrong with the spring rolls and tried them...i enjoyed them but sorry you did not...however i did not realize my gal didn't offer you a substitute item-i would be more than happy to hook you up fresh out of the oven so to speak! Did you pay the $9? If so we certainly owe you a refund if nothing else! and boy oh boy do we ever sweep those floors...i drive my workers crazy coming out of the garden with dirt and mud everyday!! please come back and visit if you wish but i would gladly mail you a check to make up for your loss...330-819-3834 [email protected] have a wonderful veg filled day!!

Delicious! - Edit

Found this Ohio gem on a road trip and have missed it ever since. I got the falafel sandwich, and it was amazing! Also got a chocolate chip cookie, which was also really yummy. Everyone was so nice, and I loved the positive and calming vibe of the restaurant. Definitely would recommend this to anyone in the Ohio area!

Pros: delicious food, great service, also had baked goods (great surprise)

Cons: a bit run down looking, but adds to the charm

Addicted - Edit

Both myself and my girls are addicted to Ms. Julie's Kitchen. #1 favorite is the Sloppy Mac though we have had many other menu items and all are very good. Love the cashew 'cheese' as well. And...don't even get me started on the baked goods...brownies are fudgy, deliciousness and the chocolate cookies are awesome as are the goo balls, granola and cakes and cobblers. No limited availability of baked goods for vegans here! Comfort food at its best!

Pros: Best baked goods in town, vegan or not, Staff is friendly and welcoming

Cons: Can be a little pricey-worth every cent!

This place is a great find! - Edit

Ms. Julie has great vegan and other healthy food choices. I LOVE her baked goods, she has the BEST brownies ever...and they are whole grain and vegan:) Enjoyed her Swiss Chard Lasagna and Chili.

Pros: Locally grown/seasonal food, YUMMY, Friendly staff

Cons: The curb appeal is non existent

Good healthy vegan food - Edit

A healthy vegan (except for honey) restaurant that serves some oil free items. The food is very good. It is well named because the atmosphere is very much like walking into someone's kitchen and being served their homemade food.

I have had many of the items like the Hemppattywich, Stuffed Pepper Casserole, Beet Greens Casserole, Swiss Chard Lasagna, Kale Soup, Tunisian Sweet Potato Stew, Sloppy Mac, and the Falafel Wrap.

Some items are always on the menu and others come and go. There is always something yummy, interesting and healthy at Ms. Julie's Kitchen.

It is also like a little shop with some items from her gardens, cookies, brownies, kale chips, Sweet Potato Spice cake, frozen waffles, and other tasty items.

My only complaints are that it can be expensive if you eat a lot of food like I do and they occasionally use some honey so you always have to ask.

Pros: Healthy including some oil free items, Organic, local, ingredients, Quick service

Cons: Not 100% vegan - look out for honey, Can be expensive if you eat a lot, Poor location

It was ok... - Edit

I wanted so badly to love this all vegan, locally grown organic produce restaurant in my hometown, but I just didn't. I ordered the sloppy macaroni and cheese and neither I, nor my macaroni and cheese obsessed child were fans. Of the others in our dining party, one had a pretty decent dish, while the other ordered soup and it also just wasn't good (and was cold). Aside from the food, this is a really different kind of restaurant. As was said in previous reviews...really low key. I was confused during ordering as I tried to figure out how to order and whether the chalkboard was the menu or just daily specials (it was the menu). Additionally, our table was sticky and didn't appear to have been cleaned after the previous diner. I wanted to give this restaurant another shot, but just wasn't motivated enough by my first experience to return during my visit stay.

Ms. Julie's Kitchen - Edit

I just started eating here during the summer of 2014 and wish I would have gone sooner. Hemppatty sandwiches are great. Black bean and falafel pitas seem to be a mainstay. Love the sloppy mac n cheese. I enjoy all the gluten free breads and cookies. The Plant Kingdom Bakery also operates out of her kitchen, and their hemp seed snack bars are so delicious. Most dishes are 7-$9.00 each and snacks are 2-$4.00. They grow their own organic produce on urban farm lots in the Akron area.

Pros: Delicious, fresh and fast, Reasonable pricing, Great community resourcing

Wonderful food - Edit

We stopped while traveling through Akron. The food was amazing. We had the Cheesy kale bake and the mock tuna sandwich. The ladies at the restaurant were so friendly and kind. They made us feel very comfortable. It is a very relaxed atmosphere which I really like. If I'm in Akron again, I will definitely return.

Yummy in my tummy! - Edit

My boyfriend and I went this evening. I am vegetarian, while he prefers meat. All in all, I was taken back by this restaurant. It's VERY low key. You walk in, there's the owner right there greeting you. There's a black board with what you can pick from, no menu was given. No drinks were given either. You just pick one up from the fridge. You also pick up your own silverware and napkin. There's not only food to be served, there's lots of things sold such as cookies, hemp, other vegan items. Which was pretty interesting.
Now the food!
My boyfriend bought the hempatty, while I bought the felafle . I really enjoyed the hempatty, but did not like the felafle.
I can't wait to come back and try more.
Very interesting place, people, and atmosphere!
Check it out if you get the chance!

Pros: All vegan, Inexpensive, Other products for sale

Cons: Not served, Uncomfortable (for those new people), No menu

Fabulous! - Edit

This restaurant is fabulous! When you walk in you are greeted by a friendly staff in a very homey atmosphere. The food is delicious. I had a spicy black bean burger which was full of flavor. My husband enjoyed his falafel sandwich and our friend said the 13 bean chili was really good. Also sold at the restaurant are homemade vegan treats, like brownies, energy bars, breads, etc. Everything we tried was delicious. The prices are comparable to that of a non vegan restaurant--not cheap but not expensive. The only complaint I have is they use honey (which i do not consider vegan) in some of their treats and I didn't know this until after I ate one. I'm really not complaining tho because the ingredients are labeled on everything and I simply failed to read the label. I definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Homey Environment

Cons: Uses Honey In Treats

Vegan fare non vegans will love.... - Edit

I am neither vegan nor vegetarian.......but I love this joint.....I have eaten in the restaurant twice and have gotten take out once.....The food is delicious......the stuffed peppers, Not Rib sandwich and collard greens are so so so good!!! The chocolate chip cookie...not so great....I will be back and I will bring friends with me......good good food except for the cookie :-)

Pros: Good Food, Good Portions, Quaint / Cute Aptmosphere

It's Vegan but.... - Edit

Been waiting to test out this restaurant for ages after reading a few good reviews. Everything is supposed to be local, fresh and organic. A few options are gluten-free but you have to ask. There are a about 5 options for entrees. We ordered one sandwich and it was terrible. We have been vegan for two years now and it was the worst "vegan" sandwich. It was pasty and not at all good. I didn't eat my half of the sandwich and left all the homemade sauce. There were a lot of older restaurant customers so I assume since the meals are very bland, the older generations will enjoy more than younger ones. There was also just one employee and she didn't seem to be pleased to have customers. Maybe it was just the day but I can honestly say it was very uncomfortable to dine in (which I'm assuming you can't dine out since we weren't given an option even though we wanted to dine out). Would have given 1 cow if possible.

Pros: Vegan, Local Produce, Available

Cons: EXPENSIVE!!!!, Not welcoming or comfortable, Bland Tasting Food

Wish I lived closer! - Edit

Was traveling through the Akron, OH area and found Ms. Julie's Kitchen on the Happy Cow iPhone app. What a pleasant surprise! The food was wonderful (had the stuffed cabbage). There are no vegan restaurants within in a 50 mile radius of where I live. I wish there was a 'Ms. Julie's Kitchen' near by. My highest recommendation to anyone looking for vegan food in the Akron, OH area.

Pros: Great food, Wonderful staff

Best hippy food hangout in Akron! - Edit

Always fresh & fabulous, Miss Julie does vegan well! Not one for using anything processed, it's almost always whole food freshly made. Menu changes daily. Shops locally & sources responsibly. Not only good cooked food but also raw treats, locally produced baked good, seasonal & local items to take home and KALE CHIPS! :-) Responsible in the community, co-hosts film nights with The Akron Peace Project and knows her stuff about both vegan & raw foods eating. Talk to her!

Pros: Fresh, Ethical, Friendly

Cons: Not a massive place, Varying hours

pretty good - Edit

Pretty good stuff. In cities with several vegan eateries, this place might not cut it, but in Akron, it's probably the best available. I had a burger, which was a bit burnt, but still not bad. I had a cookie, which was very good.

Simple, healthy, "hippy" food. Yum! - Edit

I have only eaten at Ms. Julie's once, but I will go again next time I am in the Akron area. The food is simple, but tasty and nutritious. Most dishes are vegan, save for the grilled raw cheese sandwich and the few items containing honey.

I had the edamame burger and a taste of the lasagna. Very nice. I also enjoyed the selection of raw crackers, roasted hemp seeds, salads, and other snacks. The "ham" salad, made from juicing pulp, is really refreshing and delicious with some raw crackers. The home made spicy kale chips are fabulous, although in need of a little saltiness.

Ms. Julie's food left me satisfied, yet not too full.

Pros: tasty, feels healthy

Return to Akron Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ms. Julie's Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7726 times since Jun 2010.