Mr Tanaka's

( 1 review )
+44-1992536555

3 Post Office Walk, Hertford, England, SG14 1DL

Serves meat, vegan options available. Japanese restaurant offering vegan options including pumpkin katsu curry, tofu bento box, sweet potato croquettes, seaweed salad, miso soup, vegetable gyoza and more.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Asian, Non-veg

1 Review

Really rather good! - Edit

This is a very popular little restaurant. We didn't prebook on a Friday night, wait times were between 10-30mins (depending on table size requires really!). I'm glad we waited.

We shared a starter of sweet potato croquettes - more like patties but pleasant. Really delicious sauce!

For a main I had the tofu bento box and my partner had the pumpkin Katsu curry. (The slaw in the bento is vegan - it's an oil & lime dressing, not traditional eggy mayo!)

Both really nice but next time we go I'll want to try all the small plates I think! There were lots to choose from and I think it would be a bit like having Japanese Tapas- lots of smaller dishes to enjoy trying.

The staff were friendly and pleasant and 2 out of three were perfect at understanding veganism. The third wanted to check with the chef/a little less confident herself. But clearly the chef explained well as she came back sounding pretty knowledgeable!

There would be only two things I'd suggest to make this place a solid 4* review, at present Id say it's 3.5.
1.) for the menu to actually list "VG" (Vegan) or "VGO" (vegan option) where applicable. Just to save that poor waitress going back to the chef and save people like me asking many questions :)
2.) if the Apple Gyoza are a vegan pudding option, for these to be a permanent menu item. Sadly they were not on the menu when we visited. A permanent vegan pudding is the way to my heart ;)

It was a great little find though, I'll definitely be back!

Updated from previous review on 2018-04-17

Pros: Tasty food, Japanese food in a street full of pizza chains, Independant & intimate dining venue

Cons: Can get busy

Return to Hertford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mr Tanaka's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.