Mr. Hau

Contact +420-776166668

Koubkova 1726/8, Praha 2, Prague, Czech Republic, 12000

Opened June 2013 in a lower ground space near the tram station IP Pavlova and Brussels. Serves vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and desserts. Self serve buffet weekdays 11am-3pm. Reportedly not part of the larger international chain of Loving Hut vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai. Previously named Loving Hut - Koubkova. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Asian

First Review by hungryherbivores

Very disappointed - Edit

Seeing as the last few reviews were really good my boyfriend and I decided to give Mr. Hau a go. We were expecting more of a Vietnamese touch than all the other Loving Hut restaurants offer, but we were disappointed, and not only in that regard. The interior was off-putting and distasteful, the table cloths and toilet facilities were dirty. Well, I could live with that if the food is good, but it was far from. The dumplings we had as a starter were okay, but the spring rolls were disappointing (even though we ordered them from the menu and didn't go for the buffet). Then I had noodles with mock meat which were half-decent, but my boyfriend's Cantonese speciality was the biggest disappointment. The mock meat was good, but the sauce tasted like over-salted gravy and made everything it touched almost inedible.
Don't go there if you don't have to, there are many other similar places in Prague that are far better.

Pros: Friendly service

Cons: Interior, Low quality food

Hearty fare - Edit

I've only been here once and tried one dish, but I really liked what I had. It was mock fish in sauce served with rice and slaw. It was a hearty dish that perfectly satisfied my hunger after an evening at the beer hall.

Also, we walked in shortly before closing time, but the staff were very welcoming and did not rush us at all. In fact, several other groups came in after us and they were all seated promptly and served with a smile.

Pros: Flavorful food, Nice staff

Really good! - Edit

After reading other reviews I was a bit hesitant but my partner had a craving for Asian food.
The buffet was still available at 6pm (and had some nice looking dishes) but we decided to order from the menu. To start we had dumplings and spring rolls - both really good, not oily, and came out to us quickly. Then we had "cheerful balls" (breaded, deep fried soy meat chunks) served with fries, ketchup and salad, and a Thai curry which had some of the cheerful balls and lots of bright fresh veg in a Thai curry sauce and a portion of sticky rice. Really impressed by our dishes as they were tasty, had generous portions, fresh vegetables and were piping hot. Two starters, two main courses and two soft drinks cost the equivalent of £13.

Pros: Really tasty, good food at a very reasonable price

I love Mr. Hau - Edit

I totally do not understand two previous reviews, I even can't imagine how it can be unappetizing in such amazing cheap restaurant! This is a one of the best vegan places I've ever been. I recommend everyone to taste soup for 89 czk, you will get lost in this big plate full of delicious tofu, ananas, soya meat and rice noodles. Second my advice is ordering food from menu, not from buffet - in this case you will get fresh hot meel. Thank you, Mr. Hau

eatable food in uncomfortable atmosphere - Edit

The place was located close to the hotel in which I was staying and since I am into Asian food, I decided to come there. As others wrote, it was also quite empty at that point, but that could have bee due to the time (4-5pm). The atmosphere was not too promising, large screen, uncomfortable and "cold".
My food was unfortunately not too tasty neither (apparently the spring rolls my mother, whom I dragged in there, ordered, were fine), especially the brown sauce tasted like 100% instant and almost like gravy.
The menu was in English, but the waitress did not speak any, so it was not possible to make any extra wish.
But hey, it was inexpensive ;)
Would not recommend it and would not go there again.

Pros: inexpensive

Cons: quality, service

Huuuge disappointment.... - Edit

The restaurant was completely empty as we entered it about 7.30 p.m. We should have treated it as a warning sign, but unfortunately we didn't...

The food was cheap, but it's the only plus of this place I can think of. We were completely dissatisfied with our food - my friend ordered a burger, which was completely dry, especially the bun. The sushi set I had was made with warm (!) rice and tasted rather weird.

We also didn't like the atmosphere - a huge TV on the wall was playing some Vietnamese music so loudly it was hard to hear the person sitting right opposite.

Pros: price

Cons: food - freshness and taste, atmosphere

Vegan Prague - Edit

Trying to find something Vegan in Prague isn't that difficult once you get used to the city, I found this place on the weekend and wanted to go - stupidly tried on a Sunday and it was shut!
So I went back today, and what can I say, the food was simply amazing, absolutely worth a visit. The vegan sushi was amazing, and the coconut wrapped tofu balls absolute heaven!
I can recommend the Kung Pao tofu also. The Menu offers lots of meat substitutes, mainly tofu, however there are dishes without meat substitutes, and therefore there is plenty of choice for everybody!
The staff running the Restaurant were friendly and smiling, and the whole atmosphere of the Restaurant is great, its in a basement which gives it a strangely warm cosy feel.
Loved it - definitely worth checking out if your around in Prague.

Pros: freindly staff, locaton/atmosphere, quality of food

Cons: heavy on meat substitutes, not open sundays

Good variety of Asian dishes - Edit

At many of the Vietnamese vegan restaurants run by followers of SuMa Ching Hai around the world, the focus on mock meats is so heavy that whole, unprocessed veggies can be neglected — but not so at Mr. Hau. Here, fauxtein-oriented dishes still take top billing, but there are several dishes featuring broccoli, zucchini, bok choy, etc.

I liked the Kung Pao here, but found the fried spring rolls to be lacking flavor.

The atmosphere is reasonably pleasant (except for the television) and service was warm and friendly.

I wish they offered brown rice as an alternative to white, but so far it seems a lot of Prague has yet to discover the benefits of brown rice. Fresh juices would be nice, too.

Pros: Good variety, All vegan

Cons: No brown rice (only white), TV

Cosy Loving Hut - Edit

This is my favourite vegan restaurant in Prague, because they have amazing food as in the other Loving Huts, but moreover their underground interior is very cosy and it is suitable also for festive dinner. They do not offer alcohol, but they have very nice dealcoholated rose wine. I dont commend white and red wine - it is too sour. Their service is sometimes slower but it depends on the actual set-up of the staff.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 08, 2013

Pros: Interior, Price, Food

Cons: Service

Tasty buffet - Edit

My friend and I went to Loving Hut for the buffet. There isn't a flat rate for the buffet, rather you pay a certain amount for every 100g. It sounds more expensive than it was. I got four plates worth for only $10. The food was very good but I would have liked to see more variety. The buffet bar was not very large and had a limited amount of choice. However, each of the choices were delicious. They had a chocolate cake with fruit for desert. The icing tasted like very creamy pudding. If I wasn't so stuffed I would have eaten another slice.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 07, 2013

Pros: amaaaazing cake

Cons: no cash

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mr. Hau closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7355 times since Jul 2013.