Mr Bones BBQ

• Veg-friendly
Contact 941-778-6614

3007 Gulf Dr, Holmes Beach, Florida, USA, 34217

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a separate vegan menu with around 6 items: veggie burger, potato leek soup, roasted vegetable, noodles, beans and rice, sauteed watercress over rice. Small dive bar atmosphere with eclectic decor and Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Cajun, Non-veg

First Review by ajgrae

Nice Vegan Menu - Edit

I will say that there is something odd-feeling about eating Vegan at a BBQ joint. But I was very pleasantly surprised by the Vegan menu. The Thai Noodle app was well priced and fantastic! I also enjoyed the very large Black Bean burger. Honestly, I really didn't need both dishes because they were both so large.

Wonderful staff and amazing food! - Edit

A friend and I were on vacation just cruising on the beach roads when we see Mr. Bones BBQ. We're so glad we did too! We decided to give it a go.
The gentleman that waited on us was super helpful and knew instinctively that I was looking for Vegan fair as I had ordered one of the specials. He recommended a few vegan side options and asked if I was doing the "vegan thing", lol! Yes, indeed! The Thai Curry Tofu with Asian vegetable and rice was delicious! Sauce was perfect; freshly prepared veggies, with a side of tomatoes, cucumbers. Also very tasty. My friend had Beans and Rice and loved it. I overheard them saying they use their dry rub in the beans, butwhatever if was it did the trick!
There was a bean burger on the menu with many rice dishes that are either vegetarian and probably easily made vegan. What a cool place to run across. We were two happy customers.

Pros: Excellent Staff, Great environment , Delicious vegetarian and vegan options

amazing! - Edit

My fiancé and I have been here quite a few times, and it's always wonderful. Although it is a BBQ restaurant, it has many vegan options. Recently we tried the General Moe's Watercress upon suggestion by Alec, the waiter, and it is the BEST! The two vegan sides offered are kimchi and the Mediterranean medley, both of which are yummy. I'd highly recommend this restaurant to everyone. Also, Alec is the coolest!

Pros: delicious

Great Vegan/Vegetarian Dishes - Edit

Just returned to Mr. Bones...try to visit whenever in area. Great vegan/vegetarian dishes offered on menu and specials. Also, staff very helpful in trying to accommodate a vegan diet by making alterations to vegetarian dishes when possible. Our waiter, Alec, was very helpful and understanding, being a vegan himself. The Thai Sesame Noodles with Peanut Sauce App. was wonderful, as well as the Black Bean Burger, General Moe's Watercress with Curried Rice, and homemade Kimchi. The atmosphere is casual and friendly. The interior is quirky & unique.

Pleased with Mr. Bones - Edit

We loved eating at Mr. Bones before we went vegan, and now we love it even more for having a vegan menu in - of all places - a BBQ restaurant. We were pleased with our choices - vegan beans and rice, tamari roasted vegetables - and plan to visit again with our BBQ-loving family before we head home. A nice treat and yet another reason to love Anna Maria Island.

Pros: Unique atmosphere, Varied menu, Friendly staff

Big Talk, Did Not Deliver - Edit

"Don't Even Ask" is the mantra for this restaurant; they even wear it on their shirts. This phrase reminds customers not to ask for salt, pepper, etc. because the food is "expertly prepared." Our experience was anything but expert - nearly inedible.

First, it is awesome that they have a dedicated vegan menu, but the food was so poorly executed that I would not consider returning.

We ordered a rice and black beans dish and the General Moes Watercress. Both came with "candied yams" which was essentially canned yams covered in apple pie filling. The rice and beams was a scoop of rice and a scoop of beans. Neither was exceptional in any way. The watercress dish was inedible as it was Sitting in a pool of oil - the curried rice was actually submerged by .25' of oil. since it was a take-out order, perhaps it was a careless mistake by scooping too deeply in the pan, but it also shows how the food is not cooked to order.

In such a great location, it is unfortunate that this is not a viable option.

Pros: Vegan menu

Cons: Thoughtless preparation of food

ajgrae No canned yams at Mr. Bones....cooked from whole veggies, and the sauce is homemade as well. NOTHING out of a can at this restaurant. All food is cooked to order. Not to mention that the yams are not a vegan option. Maybe you should give it one more try, as so many other vegetarian's have loved it, like me, and brought others who appreciate that this is the only restaurant on AMI with as many options. So glad to have something more than salads and veggie burgers to choose from!

Great Vegan dishes in an unlikely place - Edit

This is a BBQ joint. But,several of the staff are Vegan and they have a great tasting vegan menu. The day I was there, 2 of the three daily specials were vegan as well as the normal every day items on the vegan menu. The dish I had was Roasted Veggies with Tamari sauce served with delicious curried rice and a choice of sides. I chose a home made Kim Chee. Gluten free choices are also abundant. If you are on Anna Maria Island for vacation or just for the day, Mr.Bones is worth a try. I will definitely be going back. A super place to go with your carnivore friends as everyone will be satisfied.

Pros: Varied menu, Lots of Gluten free choices

Cons: small parking lot

Best vegan veggie early! - Edit

Came to check out Mr. Bones BBQ vegan menu tonight and I was a little skeptical due to BBQ in the title I didn't think it would be to good. I however was very surprised to find out they had many vegan options and I decided to go with the vegan veggie burger. It was awesome it was made with quinoa and it was huge!! Well worth trying out they also have a great beer selection so check it out if your in town it's worth it!!

Great Food - Edit

As I am on vacation with my mom, I thought this island would not have a single thing I could eat. When I saw this place on here, the two very different reviews made me nervous, but we wanted dinner and decided to go. It was wonderful. The waitress that I had was highly knowledgeable, and as I went to remind her not to put cheese or mayo on the burger, she says that they only put on either if you ask for it. I had the Thai Sesame Noodle Bowl as an appetizer that I shared with my mom. It was sooooooo good! We have talked of going back just to get more of those noodles. It is definitely one of the best vegan dishes that I have had at a restaurant. There was also a vegan menu on the wall as you walked in letting you know exactly what was vegan on their menu. Great place, great people, and great ambiance. I will definitely be going back and recommend that others go as well.

Pros: Great Food, Great Staff, Great Prices

Cons: Not a lot of choices, Little parking

Not sure this place is trustworthy - Edit

My "vegan" burger came with mayonaise. I was told that it was my fault for not asking for the "vegan" burger without mayonaise. Additionally, our vegetarian black bean burrito was full of shrimp; I couldn't even find a shrimp burrito on their menu. I wouldn't trust these people to know what a vegan meal should or shouldn't contain.

Great Veg and Vegan options! - Edit

This place has something for everyone! Even though it is a barbeque restaurant, it also has some Indian, Tex-Mex....great rice dishes, and now the only vegan menu on all of Anna Maria Island! Including options such as Gen. Moe's Watercress, Veg Tikka Masala, Veg Curried Rice or Veg Fried Rice, Black Beans & Rice, Black Bean Quesadilla, Vegan Potato Leek soup, Tamari Roasted Veggies with Cilantro Fried Rice, Lentil Veggie Burger, Thai Sesame Peanut Noodle Salad, and huge salads, too.....all very yummy and good in an eclectic environment. Bring your friends who eat meat, and everyone can enjoy together. It's been a great way to bridge that gap when going out with friends -- choices for all without compromising your own dietary needs. They also cater and do carry out, and they provide a "call-ahead seating" option for those really busy nights!

Pros: Good Portions, Excellent Food, Great Beer Selection

Cons: No Delivery Service, There's only one!

Return to Holmes Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mr Bones BBQ closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2037 times since Nov 2011.