Contact 916-594-9812

1023 K St, Sacramento, California, USA, 95814

Vegetarian restaurant opened in Jan 2014. Offers a variety of traditional American cuisine and comfort foods in vegetarian and vegan versions. Mon-Fri 11:00am-4:00pm, Tue-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-2:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Groveey

We Love Mother!!! - Edit

We're visiting Sacramento or the weekend and our first meal here was @ Mother (thanks Happy Cow!). The food is farm to table fresh and delicious. We started with the cucumber and tomato salad in an arugula pesto which was crisp and delicious. Then we had the chicken fried mushroom Po-Boy sandwich which was savory perfection! Homemade teas and lemonades were tasty and the white wine was a nice option too. Staff was friendly and engaged with the food, chefs and customers. A lovely dining experience on K Street in Sacramento. We're going back...maybe tomorrow!!!

Pros: Great food!, Amazing prices!, Nice people who care about what they're cooking!

Cons: I wish we lived closer and could go more often!, I wish we could have eaten more!, I wish they were open on Sundays too!

Great Place - Edit

Plenty of vegan options. If you see a vegetarian item, ask if they can make it vegan. Often they can - like the yummy chile verde. GET THERE EARLY FOR LUNCH because seating is limited.

Tasty vegetarian restaurant - Edit

This place is fantastic. I am vegan, but I don't really like most vegetarian restaurants. I feel like they often do well just because they are vegetarian but are nothing special. This is not one of those places! The food is very innovative and different here, but delicious. I tried the Avocado and Summer Squash Salad, Carrot Nut Burger, and their vegan truffles and they were all fantastic. They were a little small, oily, and expensive for me and that is why I only gave the restaurant 4 stars. I would love to see more vegan options on the menu! The Kombucha on tap was fantastic too!

Pros: Vegetarian, Excellent food

Cons: Only a couple vegan options, Small Portions - order sides seperately

“Well Worth the “Hunt” & “Hike” - Edit

The Bottom-Line Regarding Mother Restaurant: The food is definitely worth the "hunt" and “hike” to find, but save yourself some time by calling the restaurant first for a description of their location. It is a small restaurant that is recessed from the street and slightly overshadowed by a chain-link fence that surrounds the building next door which is currently under construction.
Latkes, Brussel Sprouts and Carrot Nut Burger are all thumbs up. Especially the Brussel Sprouts that are flash-fried and caramelized in a sauce that is unbelievably delicious!
The food presentation is outstanding and even the flamboyant, artsy menu board that is so creative and eye-catching seem to all make sense in this eclectic food spot. The Happy Cow-ish food choices here really hold its own. But, loud music warning: Consider placing a Take-Out order if you are sensitive to loud music.

Pros: Fabulous Food! , Outstanding Food Presentation , Cool, Artsy Surroundings

Cons: Hard to Locate , Loud Music , Parking Problems

Never returning - Edit

I would give zero stars if I could. They are NOT accommodating to vegans, and the manager harasses people who don't give him four stars or more on Yelp. They do not deserve your money. Don't waste your time.

Cons: Mostly vegetarian, very few vegan options, Poor service , Manager is a jerk

Mother - Edit

Great ambience, real farm to table cuisine. Great service. Good food. I wish they had more vegan options, but I'm glad this place exists.
You can ask your server what menu items can be made vegan, that helps increase the options.

Pros: Atmosphere , Service , Good Food

Cons: Needs More Vegan Stuff

good, but not great - Edit

Mother is a small (26 seats inside, 16 outside) but well kept and organized restaurant with a simple but pleasant decor. The open kitchen adds to a cozy feeling. Everyone was friendly and polite. However, the experience went downhill quickly. Our server promptly brought water to the table, but it was at room temperature; without even the smallest cube of ice in it - and this was on a 100 degree day. Our order was taken in a timely manner, but a short time later when cook placed our order on the pick-up shelf, it sat for four minutes while three servers glanced at it as they walked past, but never picked it up. My sandwich was way too salty and the cucumbers on it tasted like they had been marinated in vinegar. Mother has potential, so I'm not ruling them completely out. Since they're new, they might just need a little more time to work the kinks out. To get to the restrooms, you go out the back door which empties into a hallway. The restrooms, which are quite nice, are shared by several businesses who have the same access. It's no big deal, unless you have kids who want to go to the can alone; you'll want to accompany them into the hallway.

Pros: clean and tidy, friendly staff

Cons: food is over salted, food is okay, but not memorable

Delicious, fun, oily, salty vegan comfort food! - Edit

Went to Mother (we'll call the restaurant M2) today for the first time with my mother (we'll call her M1: the woman who actually birthed me.) Both M1 and I loved M2.

We both love greasy, salty food. M1 tolerates my veganism. So does M2. Most of the appetizers are vegan (today, only the jalapeno cornbread wasn't.) But most of the sandwiches and large plates are ovo lacto vegetarian, and the vegan option was removing the cheese (with no offered substitute.)

Which is to say that veganism is easy enough here, but they are really an ovo-lacto vegetarian restaurant that is happy to accommodate vegans. I think I recall pre-opening media where they even shied away from being described as vegetarian, which, like Dirt Candy NYC, I find a little precious.

We had:
* blistered shishito peppers ($5) delicious, oily, occasional flakes of salt. Oily and salty, and delicious.
* Chicken fried mushrooms ($5) amazing battered and fried (they had to do something special to veganize them). Oily and salty. Delicious.
* fried cauliflower and broccolini ($5) just damned delicious, with nice roasty caramelized bits. Oily and salty. Delicious.
* jalapeno cornbread ($6) with molasses butter, not vegan, but M1 loved it
* carrot nut burger ($10) with fresh pickles, it was delicious. the burger patty doesn't much hold together, but it all tastes so good that I didn't care

Be clear that their southern-inspired vegetarian cooking is greasy, oily, and delicious.

I drank a very tasty vanilla pine Zeal kombucha ($5, good sized glass) and M1 liked her strawberry lemonade ($3).

Opened up in a space right next to the historic Crest Theater, it's a smallish space: two four tops, and a row of maybe six two tops. We'd waited a while to come, since we were hearing of it getting slammed by downtown workers during their lunch break. It was easy to walk in at 2pm and score the best table in the place, in the front window.

Transit is ridiculously easy, being on the K Street Mall with light rail running running in front, and all sorts of Sac RT buses nearby. Parking is easy enough but will cost you, the city owned lot around the corner is $3/hour.

I grew up in Sacramento and have always loved K Street, warts and all, through all of its incarnations. It's perfectly safe, but not a sterilized suburb experience.

M1 and I absolutely agreed we'll be delighted to go back to M2, sticking with the off-rush-hours.

What a lovely addition to the Sacramento vegan-friendly scene!
Updated from

Pros: DELICIOUS!, plenty of vegan available, super friendly, cute space

Cons: vegan feels kinda like an afterthought

Return to Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mother closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5129 times since Jan 2014.