Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen

Contact 02-92832828

367 Pitt Street, CBD, Sydney, New South Wales, NSW 2000

One of handful of Asian vegetarian restaurants in Sydney. All vegan except honey. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Taiwanese

First Review by Aloo

Not so great - Edit

My brother and I were looking forward to a nice meal but when we were in Sydney a couple of weeks ago but we were disappointed in this place. I can't quite remember what I had but it was definitely drowning in a salty, blah sauce. My brother had the birds nest something to other, just not very tasty. It is a pretty little place in a good location but we decided not to try it a second time while we were there. Maybe we hit it on a bad night!

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-26

When in Sydney... - Edit

Whenever I am working in Sydney I always eat here at some point. A few years ago the food was very average but on my latest trip I had stir fried tempeh with snow peas, broccoli and nuts along with special fried rice. It was fresh and delicious.

Pros: Convenient location in the CBD, Great menu choice

Don't waste your money - Edit

We went here on the basis of other reviews, however, I wish we had chosen one of the hundreds of other options that were located around this place. When you first order you have to pay straight away. This is probably to stop you from not paying due to the horrible food. I had tofu with vegetables which consisted of 10 pieces of old, deep-fried tofu sitting on what what seemed liked half a kilo of raw bean sprouts and topped with 6 slices of cucumber, with a tiny bit of soy sauce drizzled over top. My husband ordered stir-fried vegetables which came out swimming in some watery, flavourless sauce and appeared to have been cooked days ago and reheated. Same with the boiled rice which tasted like it was days old and reheated. I love rice, yet it was inedible as was most of our meals. I think we managed to eat around a quarter of each meal (and one mouthful of rice), only because we were so hungry, before we felt ill. We actually went and got a coffee somewhere else afterwards just to get the awful taste of the food out of our mouths. Greasy and tasteless food that was not cheap as I could get something delicious for that price elsewhere. SO disappointed, we definitely won't be going back.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Terrible food, Pricey for what you get, Very cheap and nasty feel to the place

Great comfort food! - Edit

I love this restaurant. It's food is consistently good, no matter what dish I try. The staff are always so friendly and helpful. I love the fact that there is often an elderly member of the family spending time in the restaurant just doing their own thing, the last time we went the grandmother was doing seated tai chi, which really gave us a sense of authenticity.

Highly recommend the avocado soup, the deep fried nori rolls, the fried pumpkin with gluten, and the tofu clay pots. The serves are generous and always filling. I haven't had a bad dish yet.

Close to public transport and the centre of the CBD

For the amount of food you get, i don't think the price is unreasonable. Decor nothing fancy, but if you want fancy decor, there are plenty of other restaurants that might suit your taste.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good quality and great tasting food, Take away relatively quick service.

mother Chu's the best - Edit

Mother Chu's in Pitt st Sydney is awesome if you like Chinese/Taiwanese vegetarian food.
I recommend crispy tofu with miso sauce for starters, they have fresh juices by the way. Tofu roll with back beans sauce & ginger is my favourite
There is a multitude of choices.

Pros: cbd location , been there for years , always greater with a smile

Nice Chinese food - Edit

Simple decor not flash. But nice friendly service and good classic Chinese food, done without meat. Lots of options so will definitely go back to try out some of the others.

Pros: reasonably priced , all vegan, authentic

Cons: simple decor, not flash, no free green tea (but water), in town so no parking

Fresh And Great Value - Edit

Amazing amount of vegan options, some honey in a couple of the meals so watch out for those.
Tofu, noodles, gluten based mock meats and heaps of veges. Amazing flavours. More than enough rice for 4 people. Great friendly service. Yum ginger tea too.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 28, 2014

Pros: Great Flavours, Lots Of Options, Value

Cons: Didnt Open Till 5pm

Not bad but need more convincing - Edit

This is a place I've been to a couple of times on previous visits to Sydney but not for a while so my memory was a bit vague. It has a fairly plain setup with Formica tables in various configurations. The menu is extensive, although I noticed that some dishes had versions under different categories, such as the soy bean roll, which, in addition to its standard entry, also had variations under 'steaming' and 'clay pot'. We ordered the standard plus a miso clay pot with tempeh and steamed rice. The soy bean rolls were quite delicious, a little hot and accompanied by spring onions in a dark sauce. The miso dish on the other hand really didn't work for us: the broth was weak without much flavour and this left big hunks of crisp vegetable (including non-tender cauliflower and cabbage) to fend for themselves. The moral: be selective and look for recommended dishes (the soy rolls being one of which we took heed). We opted for a banana fritter (there are also apple and pineapple) with a scoop of mango soy ice cream plus one scoop each of passion fruit and mango soy ice cream. Very nice. All up this cost us $60 (including my freshly squeezed OJ and my partner's lemonade), which took me a little by surprise but is by no means outrageous. I'm not sold on this place yet but the menu's big enough that I'll come back and try it again

Pros: Decent-sized menu, All vegan including desserts

Cons: Some dishes are substandard

Return to Sydney Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.