Mother Chu's Taiwanese Cuisine

Contact 02-92110288

Shop 1, 86-88 Dixon St (at Sussex Street), Haymarket, New South Wales, 2000

Serves meat, vegan options available. This restaurant is owned by the son of Mother Chu's Vegetarian Restaurant owner. However, it does serve meat but provides a separate menu for vegetarian dishes, which includes some popular Taiwanese snacks. The restaurant has branched out to a cafe next to it, serving milkshakes, ice cream, coffee, and desserts.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Taiwanese, Non-veg

First Review by MaitreyaBelmore

TERRIBLE!!! SERVED US PIG STOMACH!!!! - Edit

This was the worst restaurant experience I've ever had!!! The vegetarian bun was cold, and soggy. The glutinous rice roll was served in cling wrap and tasted like plastic. Then the "fried tofu vermicelli soup" came out. We had specified we were vegan, and ordered everything from the vegetarian menu. We even asked her to repeat back our order to double check. Tried the broth, and it tasted like pork. Tried something that looked like bean curd, and it tasted like pork as well! Asked the waitress again if it was vegetarian, she said "ohh! You're vegetarian? No, that's pig tripe" !!!!!!! I was SO UPSET!!!! We cancelled the rest of our order, and they refunded us minus the bun, roll, and 2 drinks (which still cost us $20!!!!!)

Pros: NONE!!!!

Cons: SERVED US PIG STOMACH!!!!

Tasty Veg Options - Edit

Vegetarian section is on the last page of the menu folder. Food is tasty and well priced. Good portion size. I had the stir fried green vegetables and vegetarian congee (see pics).

I have a video review on my youtube, see my profile.

If you're visiting Sydney and in the China Town area then this is a good place for veg options. There is another Mother Chu's on Pitt St. which is Vegetarian only and I hear is good too.

Pros: Tasty, Good price, Easy to find location

Taiwanese vego food - Edit

There's a vegetarian menu here if you ask for it specifically. I enjoyed the pickles, the congee (made on water, not stock), and the steamed bun. The staff are friendly and it's a fun bustling atmosphere. Legend has it that the proprietor's wife is the daughter of Mother Chu from Pitt St, so we refer to this place as Son-in-Law Chu.

You pay at the table when you order, so have your loose change ready.

Pros: Vegetarian menu, Dishes not seen elsewhere

Cons: Vegan options not marked

Conveniently in the Heart of Chinatown - Edit

This eatery is conveniently tucked in the heart of Sydney's busy Chinatown. On the window, some kitchen hands are busy making dumplings, yu-tiaw (Chinese donuts), and other snacks. They mainly serve meat dishes, however do ask for a separate VEGETARIAN MENU, which includes vegetarian fried rice, fried noodles, noodle soups, congee (Chinese rice porrridge), stir-fries, etc.

The food taste good but doesn't have the "wow" factor, but the prices are good value, ranges from $1.20 for snacks/entrees and from $7.50 for main meals. The location is also very good, in case you are around Chinatown and hungry, especially if you are with non-veg friends - you would be able to sit down together and order what everyone prefer. There's always something for everyone here. This place is always buzzing with customers especially lunch and dinner time.

A must try: their Taiwanese snacks which they are famous for, e.g. dumplings, yu-tiaw (chinese donuts), vegetarian buns, pancakes, congee, and soy milk drinks (hot or cold).

Pros: convenient location, cheap, separate vegetarian menus

Cons: doesn't taste "wow"

Return to Haymarket Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mother Chu's Taiwanese Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1680 times since Jul 2010.