Mosquito Tapas

c/Carders, 46, Barcelona, Spain

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar offers pan-Asian tapas in a cozy setting. Veggie options available. Owners speak English, French, Italian, Chinese. Moved from Jaume Giralt Apr 2010.

Category: International, Beer/Wine, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by Theaudacityofboats

Nothing special - Edit

I visited mosquito with my sister and we had quite an disagreeable experience with the staff as they were super strict on where we sat and wouldn't let us sit near the window.

They have some vegan options. We had rice and edamame but it wasn't anything to write home about. I've had much more taste bud tingling Asians.

Cons: Not very friendly service. Very arrogant.

Just try the marinated bamboo shoots - Edit

Came here with a non-vegan friend to try it out. They don't have any designated mark for their vegan options but the waitress was able to mark them out for me. They weren't many and they weren't significant. I had a main dish that usually includes chicken but had the chicken removed and it was underwhelming. I also had edamame which was pretty standard. Also had a cucumber salad which was alright but basic. The best thing I had there and would definitely recommend are their marinated bamboo shoots. They were a little on the slaty side but very delicious and satisfying. I ate some on their own but eventually decided to add most of it to my bland main dish and that worked very well. They have a nice selection of beers too. Overall, the place isn't too pricey but not a whole lot of vegan options. I give this place 3 stars.

Pros: Bamboo shoots are delicious, Not pricey

Cons: Not many vegan options, Food is underwhelming

Not great for vegans - Edit

Went for a celebration dinner with my lovely meat eater friends, ordered some vegan dishes for myself, but there were not many choices :( Including one of them, they said that they run out. While my friends were mindlessly eating, I had to stood watching most of the time... And paid a huge price!! Compensated with the beers though hehehe

Pros: Beers, Ambiance

Cons: Not too many vegan choices, Price

Cool place, but few vegan options - Edit

Perhaps reviewers below who said this place was "weird" have very classical taste, because this place is really cool! I love the concept, and the dim but perfectly placed lighting, and the broad beer menu, and the dishes that I actually can eat, which are all delicious. It's so popular that you often have to wait for a table!

That said, there are few vegan options and the staff isn't knowledgeable about what is or isn't vegan - I've been served non-vegan things by mistake. Nor have they been very understanding or accommodating of my questions and requests - it's often crowded, and I suppose they have a lot to do. None of the desserts are vegan, and the menu isn't labeled properly: there's a confusion between vegan and vegetarian, and there are some things which are definitely vegetarian which don't have the "v" symbol next to them... in short, a mess!

Finally, portions aren't large, but prices are high. If you eat dinner here, be prepared to spend 15-20€/person (or go hungry).

I give it 3 stars because I really like the atmosphere, the food and the beers, but its serious drawbacks mean I can only visit 1-2 times a year tops.

Pros: great ambiance, really good food, broad selection of beers

Cons: expensive, few & poorly labeled vegan options, harried ambiance

Not best in Barcelona - Edit

I went to Mosquito Tapas after a recomendation from a fried who said that everything is good here and that it's cheap. Nothing was true.
We only managed to eat all the vegan dumplings. The rest was very weird dishes. But that's only what I think, people may like it but I didn't.

One of the waitresses was not very knowledged about vegans and accidently served us dumplings made with chicken bouillon. She said that "vegetarians" really don't care about that. Not many of the dishes are vegan.

It was kind of expensive aswell. We ate som tapas, not very much and drank one beer each (two persons). And it costed about 32 euro.

Pros: Nice neighboorhood, Great beers, Vegan dumplings

Cons: Expensive, The food, "Vegetarian"

Weird but nice - Edit

We went to Mosquito because the notion of "asian tapas" intrigued us. Turns out they were just dim sum (like the review below my already pointed out). Not that I mind, cause it was delicious anyway.

The menu was Catalan only, but we did get an English explanation from the waitress. There were some options indicated with a V, but we suspected there to be more. And indeed, when we mentioned we were vegetarians, the waitress promptly indicated about ten more items on the list.

The food came very fast and was as mentioned above, quite delicious, with interesting asian flavours. We feared it might be greasy food, but were pleasantly surprised that most of the tapas were of the more "healty" variety.

We went here for lunch and were amongst the first to arrive, but the place soon filled up. Service was fast non the less.

The whole place was a bit weird and confusing as to what it actually was. They seem to want to follow a lot of trends that don't have anything to do with each other. They name their dim sum tapas, probably because tapas are hot and lure in tourists. They also have a huge selection of beer, mostly Belgian and some German too. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems like a weird combination. Like they are doing whatever's popular.

Prices were quite low. We ordered 7 different tapas and two juices and only paid about €25.

All in all we had a pleasant and yummy lunch here. We wouldn't visit it twice on the same trip, but would definately come back here if we ever visit Barcelona again.

Pros: yummy & healty, cheap, fast

Cozy neighborhood place, dim sum tapas, yum but $$ - Edit

We loved the great service, neighborhood cool ambiance and yummy dim sum (this is an asian tapas place, but if you've ever had dim sum, you would say this is a dim sum place). With one major difference - lots of great beers and really high prices. Still, for a tapas-like experience in BCN (so you don't feel left out), it's great food and a must go. It's also in a cool neighborhood, just by a large city market and the Born.

Pros: Food , Drink, Ambiance

Cons: Prices

Tasty & quick - Edit

We've just been to Mosquito Tapas for our dinner and really enjoyed it. The place is quite small and seemed very popular, so we were lucky to get a table.

The ordering process is easy - get the menu & a pencil, then tick the items you want to order and pass the slip back to the waitress (who was busy, but friendly). The food was served surprisingly fast and it was deeeelicious.

We ended up with aubergine & peanut sauce, steamed vegetable dumplings, wild mushrooms with lemon, spicy tofu and some rice (plus two non-veg dishes for my dining companion), and it was all tasty - the mushrooms were definitely a winner! I loved being able to choose from many small dishes, which was great for sharing.

The bill came to 30 Euros for food and soft drinks for 2 - they also have a fairly extensive beer list which isn't quite cheap, but looks exciting.

Nice little place and very veggie-friendly (I even think that the veg dishes we ordered are vegan), thumbs up.

Pros: tasty, quick, the mushrooms!

Cons: busy

Our best night in Barcelona - Edit

great atmosphere, fantastic veggie dim sum. The mushrooms in butter and lemon were a particular treat. Cheap but good wine. Seems very popular - it opens at 7:30pm - we got there at 8:30 and got the last free table. Highly recommended and not nearly as hard to find as the trip advisor reviews claim!

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere

Cons: Smokers, Hard to get a table

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mosquito Tapas closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.