Morningside Organic Bakery Cafe

250-653-4414

107 Morningside Rd (at Fulford Harbour Ferry Terminal), Saltspring Island, British Columbia, Canada, V8K 1Z2

Cafe restaurant and bookstore, reported fully vegan March 2017. Offers love bowls, vegan wraps, woodfired pizza, house-made gourmet sandwiches, soups, salads, vegan cheese platters, raw chocolate, smoothies, herbal tonics, nut mylks, artisan bread, chai, coffees, matcha, yerba mate, and single origin teas. Serves and sells Miyoko’s Kitchen handcrafted vegan plant-based cheeses and butter. Bakery section features organic woodfired sourdough breads, pies, pastries, cookies, tarts and treats. Supports local producers where possible. Has an eclectic collection of books to browse and buy. Hosts live music, film nights and other special events - check website and Facebook for details. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Organic, Raw, Western, Take-out, Bakery, European

First Review by Lek

Honest review - Edit

The building itself was unique and intriguing, but the customer service was appalling. Would not recommend.

An amazing vegan experience - Edit

The food at Morningside is nothing short of amazing.

My wife and I embraced Veganism at the start of 2017, and I had assumed that the movement was fairly well established, and probably well catered for on restaurant menus, but this is far from the case. You're lucky if 10% of the average menu is vegan friendly.

So to find a 100% vegan restaurant was an absolute godsend for us, and one that we indulged not once but twice over our short weekend on Salt Spring.

I'm not a huge fan of the substitute style of veganism, which seeks alternative 'cheeses' and 'meats', because I think you should embrace a plant-based diet in all it's rich variety, without looking back. Morningside however, is very much about meat and cheese alternatives. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything we tried was just out of this world, including the 'fish' sandwich. Incredible flavours carried on incredible bread.

I really enjoyed browsing the book selection at Morningside too. It's great to find a business that is about so much more than just commerce, and one that espouses it's values so passionately.

Can't wait to explore more of the amazing menu on future trips to Salt Spring.

Pros: Amazing food, 100% vegan, A socially conscious business

Cons: Service isn't especially fast, A little pricey

Fabulous First Impressions - Edit

This was my first stop on Salt Spring and a real treat. I had a delicious burger and smoothie. Delightful atmosphere.

Very disappointing for vegans - Edit

Went to the Morningside bakery on a recent visit to Salt Spring Island. I was hoping to find vegan sandwiches or muffins, but unfortunately they didn't have any and could not make a fresh sandwich. That was highly disappointing. We ended up sharing a smoothie which was tasty enough but it was a shame they did not have the options that were advertised on their website.
The cafe if up for sale, maybe that's why they were not trying so hard?

Amazing - Edit

Whenever my partner and I have a bit of expendable money, we splurge on the ferry over to Saltspring, to enjoy the amazing food at Morningside. The owner is very knowledgeable, and she cooks up some AMAZING sandwiches and hot beverages. The cafe itself is eccentrically decorated using many natural materials, making it such a nice place to enjoy our wonderful meal.

Pros: The best sandwiches ever!, The owner is very knowlegable., The atmosphere is perfect.

Return to Saltspring Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Morningside Organic Bakery Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.