Contact n/a

Fabriksomradet 134 (at Christiania), Copenhagen, Denmark, 1440

A cooperative veggie food cafe in Christiania run by mostly youths. It's a 15 minute walk from Copenhagen centre or take bus 9A. Offers a daily selection of 5-6 prepared salads, 2 hot dishes, a soup of the day, and drinks. Kitchen staff changes, as do the flavors of the food depending on the cook on duty. Sit inside in the basic yet cozy space, or outside on wooden tables in the rustic garden among sparrows. Direction: walk 3 minute into Christiania, and you will come upon the restaurant (or ask someone). Confirmed open Mar 2016. Tue-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm Closes January month.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Fast food

First Review by matrosin

Step back in time, if you really must - Edit

I don't understand why this place has so many five-star reviews. Maybe we visited on an off day. But whatever the reason, we were very disappointed by Morgenstedet.

It felt like we'd stepped back in time to the sort of veggie restaurants that were common in the 1980s – and that's not a compliment!

The food was bland, and not well presented, just slopped onto the plate from huge saucepans. We had a sub-par pumpkin soup, and a tasteless coconut and rice dish. We also got a big blob of bland hummus, which came with nothing – I was expecting a bit of bread or sliced carrots or something!

The portions were decent, but the prices aren't low compared to anywhere else in Copenhagen. Considering the poor quality of the food, it was pretty expensive really. We ate much better food elsewhere, for the same price or cheaper.

I think that Morgenstedet are trading on their location, in the middle of a tourist hot-spot. In Christiania its cute hippy vibe will chime well with the tourists. Anywhere else, this restaurant would be an anachronism.

On the day we went, everything was vegan except the butter for the bread, which the person serving kindly warned us about. There's not a huge range of options, just a couple of mains and one soup. (And there's no coffee, in case this is important to you!)

Just a couple of years ago veg'n travellers to Copenhagen wouldn't have had much choice but to visit Morgenstedet, as the city's veggie restaurants were so few in number. But today Copenhagen has a reasonable selection of decent vegan restaurants – and Morgenstedet suddenly doesn't look so appealing.

fantastic food, lovely location - Edit

I have been visiting this place on a warm summer day an enjoying their home made lasagna in their lovely garden felt like a little holiday from the busy city of Copenhagen. Not everything is vegan but you can ask the staff and they will explain to you your options. I also had a delicious vegan cake afterwards.

The prices are very reasonable for what you get and for the fact that you are in Copenhagen.

Pros: delicous and creative food, great outdoor seating in their garden

cozy and delicious - Edit

utterly kind staff and a beautiful location in wonderful christiana to begin with.
there's a lot of vegan options and the times that I've been only one or two of ten buffet options weren't vegan.
on top of that its really rather cheap. a must go and see.
if you've got a lot of spare time go for a stroll on the other side of the haven for some incredibly cute little self sustained houses.

tasty food in nice atmosphere - Edit

I went there on a sunny day in August, unlike others I did not have issues finding it, because I was just strolling through Christiania anyway and relied on eventually finding it :D (also there were once in a while signs of where to find what)
I was positively surprised that ALL food was vegan (on that day), so I had the baked menu, which was lasagne and two salads to chose as side-dishes. I liked the taste a lot, I myself usually use a lot of spices when cooking and there in a way it was not as spicy as I am used to, but also not boring at all, just nice and round.
As dessert I also took a piece of cake, which was interesting, different than what I ate before, but very very good :)
(tab water was free btw)

I spent some while in the outdoor area, just sitting there, drinking a chai tea and enjoying the atmosphere.

I definitely definitely recommend coming here if you are in Copenhagen!

Pros: food, atmosphere, nice staff

Cons: nothing

Great salads - Edit

We went there for lunch and I had vegetables in an amazing eggplant/aubergine sauce for 80DKK. For 20DKK more, I added 2 salads. Sounds strange at first, but it actually means you will get to choose from 2 salads.
They tasted so good, I had another plate of salad. They have different sizes of plates for that and you can choose from about 8 different kinds of salads. This is not self-service, so they do everything for you. Portions are still pretty big though.

Most of the salads were vegan and one of the main dishes was as well. So you will always find something to eat and the salads are no boring leaves, but from beetroot, chickpeas, potatoes, pasta, etc.

Prices are high, but not much worse than in other places in Copenhagen...

You can sit outside in a garden with big tables you share with others. Great atmosphere! We went back for dinner the same day!

Pros: excellent salads, free water

Cons: can be very crouded

Cozy and tasty - Edit

Place with a special cozy atmosphere. The food is not all-vegan, so you shall ask for the v options. I tried lasagne with soy and it was delicious. Maybe it's a bit expensive, because you can get organic food for the same price in the centre.

Pros: It's cozy there and a nice food.

Cons: not fully vegan. Expensive.

Mostly a good experience - Edit

We visited Morgenstedet on our holiday, and they opened about 12:30 (instead of 12, which is their stated opening time). It was cozy with a really good serving size in relation to the prize. However, I wish I'd known that the tortilla i chose was very spicy! I hardly managed to eat it (me and my stomach are not great fans of spices)... But it was one of the things they at least thought were onion free (you'd be surprised how seldom restaurants can tell you what their food contains, except for more common allergens like dairy) and I'd paid for it... My boyfriend loved his mushroom stew, though. It was really great to find an all-vegetarian organic restaurant, and I recommend it! (Especially if you're not allergic to anything and can choose freely from their menu.)
A sidenote: If you're afraid of dogs, I would warn you against entering Christiania in the first place (we noticed that there were lose dogs everywhere outdoors).

Pros: Good value, Organic, Friendly staff

Cons: Unclear what ingredients food contained, Opened later than stated, A bit difficult to find (no real maps)

Hygge! - Edit

Nice hearty and healthy veg fare tucked away in the heart of Christiania. Fairly basic home-cooked food - rice or tortilla, veggies, sauce; or a soup. Tastes great though. Basic portion not too expensive by CPN standards (around 80dkr) and tap water is free unlike a lot of places in Copenhagen, but you can easily end up spending quite a bit more with added salads, cakes, and drinks. Nice outside area in the sunshine.

not so Danish but wonderful home cooked food - Edit

This was actually the first place I tried in Copenhagen, which led me into amazing Christiana on my first day. Kind, lovely, interesting people frequent and work here. Not a tourist spot, which is great. It's a bit of a buffet/deli setup and they ladle your choices onto plates. Lots of vegan options and they'll explain what's what to you. I had some stew and a pilaf sort of thing and vegetables. Very good cake! Would be a great place to sit and read for an afternoon. Cash only and they'll kindly accept other currencies if you've yet to exchange enough.

Pros: warm and homey, not touristy, big and nice to hang out

Cons: not particularly danish cusine, cash only, a bit hard to find for tourists

Best of CPH - Edit

It's the first place I've discovered when I moved to CPH a year ago, I've been there three times and everytime was great! I totally recommend the place, it's mostly vegan (some dishes are vegetarian), it's super tasty, feels like home! Really cosy both in the winter (not crowded) and summer as you can eat outside.
The chai tea is definitely a must-have in the cold winter!

Note that it's cash only, plan between 100 and 200dkk cash, depending on how hungry you are :).

Pros: Great food, Mostly vegan, Cosy / hygge

Cons: Cash only

Good food - Edit

This place is in the Christiana area. They accept only cash. Most of their food is vegan with some things using milk. We ate a delicious carrot, ginger coconut soup with while wheat bread for Dkk50 and a tortilla bake with 2 salads one chickpeas and the other tofu and pasta with so coriander dressing. They are particular about taking photos so make sure you ask and also if you do take people should not be in it. I'd recommend it indeed.

Pros: Vegan options, Good portion

Cons: Moderate price

Amazing place - Edit

A friend took me there in October 2011 and I was amazed by this place.
The food, the atmosphere, the staff, the place itself :)

Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Everything

Fresh and Delightful - Edit

This place is fantastic. Nothing better than great-tasting food that's healthy for you and makes you feel good. Ate here twice during my three days in Copenhagen. Tried for a third time but it was closed.

Everything was super tasty, but my favorite things were the hummus-textured ones. One was white-bean based. And the other was green, I don't really remember what it was.

I found the people working there to be really nice. They knew off-hand what was vegan and what wasn't. Almost everything was, except for the hot food.

It was crowded inside both times I was there, but the outside area was very pleasant and there was lots of space.

Pros: delicious , healthy

Cons: not completely vegan

Super tasty food in a lovely place - Edit

The food is very well cooked, with excellent ingredients, all homemade fresh. The salads were superb, and the place nice and quiet to eat.

Pros: Quality of food

A nice surprise in the heart of Christiania - Edit

First vegan restaurant we tried during our stay in Copenhagen- we had lunch under the sun, in the colorful garden and I have to say the food is really good quality for the price. The menu is not very wide (5 types of salad, one soup, one vegetable rice, one lasagna) and I must admit I was not ready to give a penny to the place, despite the positive reviews I had read. I changed my idea as soon as I tasted my salad and my soup: food is good and well, you have got to try it, at least once, for the particular atmosphere.

Pros: Nice Food, Nice portions, Inexpensive

Cheap and tasty - Edit

It's not too hard to find although the address won't help in Christiania. The 9A bus to the Opera gets you closest, and once you go through the Christiania gate head off at an angle about ten o'clock. It is a strange hippyish area with 'no photos' signs, but plenty of tourists go there, and when you get to the cafe you can expect a warm welcome,

There was plenty of choice when we went and free tap water (rare in Copenhagen) with slices of fruit. We couldn't finish our piled-high platefuls.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Free water

Cons: Hard to find, Hippyish

Best choice in CPH - Edit

We had a wonderful time in this lovely place.
The nice staff explained the courses and we could taste the dedication of the preparation.
Soup, main course and salad - everything extraordinary!
We'll be back - promise.

Pros: atmosphere, food quality, calm

Our GO-TO eatery - Edit

Anytime we don't feel like cooking at home, we go to Morgenstedet. The food is always tasty, vegetarian, and organic. We also like that there are different dishes every time we go, so no two visits are the same. The selection can be limited though, so the choice is normally between 2 dishes (sometimes one is a soup) and a variety of side salads. The prices are very reasonable for the generous portions. The atmosphere is very relaxed and there is plenty of seating outside during the summer. Inside seating is limited, so I wouldn't recommend large parties during the winter months. Overall we love this place and treat it as our second kitchen.

Pros: Generous portions, Good value

Cons: Choices can be limited

a must go and eat inside the free city Christiania - Edit

Ecological food and mostly vegan. Friendly stall; talk to them about the food. This is a down-to-earth place, nice, also with sitting outside, in the warmer period.
Since the special area Christiania is a must visit when in Copenhagen, why not stop at this restaurant.
It is easy to find by their entrance decorations (see the pictures on this web-site). Otherwise just ask some of the locals there, as they should know. And do not get discouraged by the looks of the "open city" Christiania, it hosts a very nice community of people. The restaurant is not expensive. Read through their magazines lying around there (like the EcoVillage organization magazine).

NOTE: I do not think this restaurant accepts credit cards (I payed cash).

Pros: vegan dishes, organic ingredients, down-to-earth outside sitting

Best one in town - Edit

Morgenstedet offers very good value for money food. The portions are large and the food is cheap (for Copenhagen standards, 10 eur daily menu). The atmosphere is very laid back and informal. The place itself is rather small and i would recommend you not to come too late in the evening because you might get stuck with whatever is left over and that would be a real shame because the food is actually very tasteful and well spiced.

Pros: cheap, large portions , very tastefull

Cons: limited choice, small place

Get Yourself Here - In Christiania - Edit

Small restaurant that also has outdoor bench seating. Great portion of a tasty main dish with choice of salads. There are only a couple of dishes on each day, but the food was really fresh. Informal atmosphere - which is hardly surprising given the location. Good value and definitely recommended. You can get a feel for the place from their website.

Pros: Fresh, Nutritious, Good Value

Cons: Limited Choice, Small if too cold for outdoors

Tasty and down-to-earth food - Edit

This is a nice place -- good food, large portions, unique but not fancy ambiente. We had the dish of the day, which was mix vegetables on brown rice with parsnip-fennel sauce, freshly baked bread, and chai with soy milk -- all for 100 DKK ~ 13 EUR per person. The only thing we missed was a dessert. ;-)

Pros: tasty food, large portions

Good Concept Food Varies - Edit

Came here on a past trip to Denmark, and here's my Morgenstedet review.

It was nice to find a vegetarian food restaurant in Copenhagen. The location is a short walk into Chrisitiania. The cafe is situated in a place much like a house with a short fence and yard.

The food is already made, with a selection of cold salad items kept in a glass case while the hot main dish items kept warm inside pots. My husband and I shared a combo plate that consisted of 1 main dish (eggplant/nuts/mushroom curry over brown rice) and 1 side salad (soba noodles with seaweed). Food was okay but a bit on the salty side.

After our meal, we were informed that the cook changes on a weekly basis; depending on the cook on staff, the food tastes vary.

Pros: laid back, has vegan food, affordable

Cons: hit or miss quality

delicious food - Edit

Found it at the end of a street at the far end of the "village." Delicious soup: thick, spinach with lentils, beans and carrots, nicely herbed and spiced, DK40 without bread (45 with bread); salad of greens and pumpkin 30. Cheerful decor. Upbeat background music, Indian theme. Menu includes 4 salads for DK90, hot meal 75. Staff speaks English.

Pros: tasty food, salad selection

Good food, & cheap! - Edit

Really enjoyed eating at this place. Several choices of hot dishc(all at price of 75DKK per serving - really cheap for Copenhagen!) - I Had brown rice, leek & creamy sauce with roasted veg and butternut squash. Portions were generous and you could taste the ingredients were fresh and good quality. We had popped our heads around the door the previous day and it smelt amazing then too, unfortunately we had already eaten that day! Really good quality food at a cheap price & would definitely eat there again. As others have said not all that easy to find, it is close to the folk art shop and the bring & take / free shop. Worth a visit!

Pros: Cheap, Good food & ingredients, Lots of choice including salads

Cons: Service a bit slow

Great place - Edit

We ate at Morgenstedet twice in October 2011. The meals were quite different but both were very good (some kind of lasagna type dish and a rice/broccoli dish under a spicy sauce. The hummus was the best we'd ever had.

Very cozy place in an interesting location - Christiania. If we ever go back to Copenhagen we'll eat here again.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, Healthy

hum da hum-mus! - Edit

The hummus here is excellent! Never ever tasted better one. For 10€ you'll get a large plate of vegan or vegetarian food of the highest order, but in a casual, home-made way. Twice I ate there and both time my stomach was full and good the whole day without being stuffed. The atmosphere is pleasant with a charming backyard to sit and enjoy watching the small sparrows fight over fallen left-over from other lucky guests who visited this place.

Pros: the food, the place, the hummus!

Hummus a-ok. - Edit

Morgenstedet is a fantastic place and hands down the best Veg place in Copenhagen - and not just because it's really the only one. Excellent food, lovely staff and great prices. Menu changes almost daily in line with seasonality and availability.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Good place for cheap food - Edit

I went to Morgenstedet in August 2010. We had some trouble finding it in Christiania, but after a bit of walking around just found it by accident - it's almost at the far end of the area.

We had a "super f*ing good greek gratin" (that was the title on the menu board!) with potatoes, beans and tomatoes, alongside some salads (carrot and quinoa) and a spinach soup. The bill came to around DK 150 for two people, including drinks, which is probably the cheapest it can get for a hot meal in Copenhagen!

I really enjoyed the food - the gratin and soup were a bit salty indeed, but also packed with fresh herbs and spices, which was very tasty. I'd definitely come back for lunch when I'm in the area, as it's good value for money, the staff were really friendly and it was nice to sit outside on the benches. I prefer a relaxed atmosphere and homecooked food that's maybe not 100% perfect to overpriced fine dining! :)

Pros: nice homecooked food, very cheap

basic and good - Edit

Been here on a few occasions. Always found the staff to be pleasant and willing to explain what was in the stove since I don't speak danish, copenhagish or christianash. Not expensive. In the summer you can sit outside. Basic and nice blends very well into the Christiana area.

Pros: price, quality

Cons: sometmes a bit crowded

wonderful - Edit

i've wanted to go here a few times but only now ihave been. The kichen didnt know if the hot dish was vegan, sometimes that happens and seems really common in copenhagen for peopleto be fully aware if somethig is vegan. All the salads were vegan and very nice. I hada platefor 20 kr with a pasta salad, bean salad and hummus. I think there hummus is lovely. I do think that it mustdepend on theweek you go to whatfoodyou have offered. Iwillgoback and compare. Muh nicer than den gronne kaelder an cheapr.

Pros: tasty food, cheap, great location

Cons: unsure of vegan dishes, limited choice, but great food

Go early for more choices. Avoid the hummus. - Edit

Two friends and I ate dinner here in August '08. We arrived toward the end of the dinner service and there were few foods left. The kitchen staff assembled plates of whatever they had so we each got half a plate of hummus (not good) and a grain salad. I felt quite ill after eating.

Pros: Lovely outdoor setting, Convivial atmosphere

Cons: Bad hummus, No options if you arrive late

Nice atmosphere. - Edit

This place is worth a visit for it's unique location and nice scenery.
They serve various salats and a they always have a vegan hot dish option (usually a kind of salty coconut sauce with lemon or orange flavor and boiled vegetables with brown rice)and it's 98 procent organic.
I eat there frequently.

Pros: Organic, Nice surroundings , Staff

Return to Copenhagen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Morgenstedet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10952 times since Aug 2007.