Morgenstedet

n/a

Fabriksomradet 134 (at Christiania), Copenhagen, Denmark, 1440

A cooperative veggie food cafe in Christiania run by mostly youths. It's a 15 minute walk from Copenhagen centre or take bus 9A. Offers a daily selection of 5-6 prepared salads, 2 hot dishes, a soup of the day, and drinks. Kitchen staff changes, as do the flavors of the food depending on the cook on duty. Sit inside in the basic yet cozy space, or outside on wooden tables in the rustic garden among sparrows. Direction: walk 3 minute into Christiania, and you will come upon the restaurant (or ask someone). Confirmed open Mar 2016. Open Tue-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm. Closes January month.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Fast food

First Review by matrosin

One of my favorite in the world - Edit

You get there by walking a few minutes or by bicycle.
Good selection and there's a few tables to eat outside.
The staff are nice and they speak English as well.
It is small, cozy and warm. It feels like home.

Pros: Cozy, Warm, Delicious

not open - Edit

I couldn't actually eat here because it was not open. Although there was a sign displaying their opening hours by the front gate, this place is closed until February. Bummed because I was really hungry, and looking forward to some vegan cuisine!

So good! - Edit

Our favorite restaurant in Copenhagen. A very well-kept local secret with excellent food. Our favorite dish is the "hot meal", a hot dish with two side salads, all of which change daily and are based on the season.

Cash only! But worth it! - Edit

Loved popping in to this little joint in Freetown Christiania. Their menu appears to rotate depending on season/what ingredients they have. I asked for "something vegan" and the very awesome individual gave me a rice dish. It was delicious, as was the kombucha! Bring cash with you!

Pros: Well-prepared food, Local

Cons: Cash only, Limited menu

Loved the food and atmosphere - Edit

Great vegan/veggie café in the heart of Christiania "freetown", I ended up there after a morning meeting in my suit and tie - not quite dressed like the locals. I had a vegan curry, absolutely delicious.
They only accept cash and best to have DKK as the euro exchange rate is not that favourable.
Otherwise 10/10 for food and laid back atmosphere.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-01

Pros: choice of soups and main dishes, friendly staff

Cons: Not many tables inside so in winter can get busy

Step back in time, if you really must - Edit

I don't understand why this place has so many five-star reviews. Maybe we visited on an off day. But whatever the reason, we were very disappointed by Morgenstedet.

It felt like we'd stepped back in time to the sort of veggie restaurants that were common in the 1980s – and that's not a compliment!

The food was bland, and not well presented, just slopped onto the plate from huge saucepans. We had a sub-par pumpkin soup, and a tasteless coconut and rice dish. We also got a big blob of bland hummus, which came with nothing – I was expecting a bit of bread or sliced carrots or something!

The portions were decent, but the prices aren't low compared to anywhere else in Copenhagen. Considering the poor quality of the food, it was pretty expensive really. We ate much better food elsewhere, for the same price or cheaper.

I think that Morgenstedet are trading on their location, in the middle of a tourist hot-spot. In Christiania its cute hippy vibe will chime well with the tourists. Anywhere else, this restaurant would be an anachronism.

On the day we went, everything was vegan except the butter for the bread, which the person serving kindly warned us about. There's not a huge range of options, just a couple of mains and one soup. (And there's no coffee, in case this is important to you!)

Just a couple of years ago veg'n travellers to Copenhagen wouldn't have had much choice but to visit Morgenstedet, as the city's veggie restaurants were so few in number. But today Copenhagen has a reasonable selection of decent vegan restaurants – and Morgenstedet suddenly doesn't look so appealing.

Ok food and atmosphere - Edit

We visited Christiania and ate here rice, coconut sauce and warm vegetables. Portion was big and taste ok. Place and atmosphere were relaxed.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-01

fantastic food, lovely location - Edit

I have been visiting this place on a warm summer day an enjoying their home made lasagna in their lovely garden felt like a little holiday from the busy city of Copenhagen. Not everything is vegan but you can ask the staff and they will explain to you your options. I also had a delicious vegan cake afterwards.

The prices are very reasonable for what you get and for the fact that you are in Copenhagen.

Pros: delicous and creative food, great outdoor seating in their garden

Been eating there for years and they always have rather high stable quality food.

cozy and delicious - Edit

utterly kind staff and a beautiful location in wonderful christiana to begin with.
there's a lot of vegan options and the times that I've been only one or two of ten buffet options weren't vegan.
on top of that its really rather cheap. a must go and see.
if you've got a lot of spare time go for a stroll on the other side of the haven for some incredibly cute little self sustained houses.

tasty food in nice atmosphere - Edit

I went there on a sunny day in August, unlike others I did not have issues finding it, because I was just strolling through Christiania anyway and relied on eventually finding it :D (also there were once in a while signs of where to find what)
I was positively surprised that ALL food was vegan (on that day), so I had the baked menu, which was lasagne and two salads to chose as side-dishes. I liked the taste a lot, I myself usually use a lot of spices when cooking and there in a way it was not as spicy as I am used to, but also not boring at all, just nice and round.
As dessert I also took a piece of cake, which was interesting, different than what I ate before, but very very good :)
(tab water was free btw)

I spent some while in the outdoor area, just sitting there, drinking a chai tea and enjoying the atmosphere.

I definitely definitely recommend coming here if you are in Copenhagen!

Pros: food, atmosphere, nice staff

Cons: nothing

Great salads - Edit

We went there for lunch and I had vegetables in an amazing eggplant/aubergine sauce for 80DKK. For 20DKK more, I added 2 salads. Sounds strange at first, but it actually means you will get to choose from 2 salads.
They tasted so good, I had another plate of salad. They have different sizes of plates for that and you can choose from about 8 different kinds of salads. This is not self-service, so they do everything for you. Portions are still pretty big though.

Most of the salads were vegan and one of the main dishes was as well. So you will always find something to eat and the salads are no boring leaves, but from beetroot, chickpeas, potatoes, pasta, etc.

Prices are high, but not much worse than in other places in Copenhagen...

You can sit outside in a garden with big tables you share with others. Great atmosphere! We went back for dinner the same day!

Pros: excellent salads, free water

Cons: can be very crouded

Cozy and tasty - Edit

Place with a special cozy atmosphere. The food is not all-vegan, so you shall ask for the v options. I tried lasagne with soy and it was delicious. Maybe it's a bit expensive, because you can get organic food for the same price in the centre.

Pros: It's cozy there and a nice food.

Cons: not fully vegan. Expensive.

Mostly a good experience - Edit

We visited Morgenstedet on our holiday, and they opened about 12:30 (instead of 12, which is their stated opening time). It was cozy with a really good serving size in relation to the prize. However, I wish I'd known that the tortilla i chose was very spicy! I hardly managed to eat it (me and my stomach are not great fans of spices)... But it was one of the things they at least thought were onion free (you'd be surprised how seldom restaurants can tell you what their food contains, except for more common allergens like dairy) and I'd paid for it... My boyfriend loved his mushroom stew, though. It was really great to find an all-vegetarian organic restaurant, and I recommend it! (Especially if you're not allergic to anything and can choose freely from their menu.)
A sidenote: If you're afraid of dogs, I would warn you against entering Christiania in the first place (we noticed that there were lose dogs everywhere outdoors).

Pros: Good value, Organic, Friendly staff

Cons: Unclear what ingredients food contained, Opened later than stated, A bit difficult to find (no real maps)

Delicoius food - Edit

super delicious food

Pros: awesome location, tastes super haelthy

Hygge! - Edit

Nice hearty and healthy veg fare tucked away in the heart of Christiania. Fairly basic home-cooked food - rice or tortilla, veggies, sauce; or a soup. Tastes great though. Basic portion not too expensive by CPN standards (around 80dkr) and tap water is free unlike a lot of places in Copenhagen, but you can easily end up spending quite a bit more with added salads, cakes, and drinks. Nice outside area in the sunshine.

not so Danish but wonderful home cooked food - Edit

This was actually the first place I tried in Copenhagen, which led me into amazing Christiana on my first day. Kind, lovely, interesting people frequent and work here. Not a tourist spot, which is great. It's a bit of a buffet/deli setup and they ladle your choices onto plates. Lots of vegan options and they'll explain what's what to you. I had some stew and a pilaf sort of thing and vegetables. Very good cake! Would be a great place to sit and read for an afternoon. Cash only and they'll kindly accept other currencies if you've yet to exchange enough.

Pros: warm and homey, not touristy, big and nice to hang out

Cons: not particularly danish cusine, cash only, a bit hard to find for tourists

Best of CPH - Edit

It's the first place I've discovered when I moved to CPH a year ago, I've been there three times and everytime was great! I totally recommend the place, it's mostly vegan (some dishes are vegetarian), it's super tasty, feels like home! Really cosy both in the winter (not crowded) and summer as you can eat outside.
The chai tea is definitely a must-have in the cold winter!

Note that it's cash only, plan between 100 and 200dkk cash, depending on how hungry you are :).

Pros: Great food, Mostly vegan, Cosy / hygge

Cons: Cash only

Return to Copenhagen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Morgenstedet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.