Moon Vegetarian Restaurant

• Vegetarian
Contact 09-43012411

Old Bagan, Bagan, Myanmar,

Also known as Be Kind To Animals, this little open-air veggie cafe is located on a dirt road north of the Ananda Temple, just off the old main road. You'll see a sign on the main road directing you. Offers a variety of choices. One seasonal specialty is the papadum with guacamole. Not to be missed, with a nice large Myanmar beer.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Burmese

First Review by fatafut23

Food varies - Edit

On our first visit the restaurant was empty which was great because they put more effort in our food. I had the fresh mint tea and the lentil soup. Both were prepared super fresh (took some time) and tasted really amazing. Only con was that they filled the cup of black tea my friend ordered only about two thirds...

The next day we came back around lunch and it was crowded. I tried the lentil soup again and this time they didn't even take 5 minutes to prepare it. The soup was missing a lot of stock and as with the tea the day before the bowl wasn't really filled up.

The staff consists of young teenage boys, their english is rather good but they chat a lot and are not very attentive at times.

They don't really get the concept of a daily special menue as it only contains meals from the normal menue...

Also despite the place being vegetarian they don't have soy milk which is a pity. No milkshakes for the vegans :(

Pros: Tasty food if the place is empty

Cons: Staff

Lovely! - Edit

Great little restaurant! Lovely feel to the place, amazing food (I've eaten there 3 times already)! Very friendly, helpful staff and they've all had great English!

Pros: Great staff, amazing food!

Cons: Not sure they know the word vegan (no one in Myanm

Essen war fade - Edit

Die Location ist sehr schön und gemütlich. Der Ort ist bestens geeignet um ein wenig entspannen zu können. Die Auswahl an Speisen und Getränke ist sehr groß. Der Service ist aufmerksam und sympathisch. Leider schmeckte mein GREEN CURRY fade und ich musste ordentlich nachsalzen.

Cons: geschmacklich etwas fade

Wonderful place - Edit

What a refreshingly good place! We found it by accident, we caught the title of the restaurant: The Moon, Be kind to animals. The menu was very inviting and the drinks and the food refreshingly excellent. After suffering from stomach problems in Myanmar, it was the first time that I could eat outside of hotel kitchens! and so happily did it!

The owner a local vegetarian, great person who continued the restaurant following his vegetarian uncle's start up.

There is a competition with a restaurant that copied the name of the restaurant "be kind to animals", so they add also the name if "The Moon" added to the title of "Be kind to animals". I wish that two vegetarian restaurants could survive.

Pros: Lots of options to choose from, some traditional v

Very nice place - Edit

I ate here today for lunch. The location is great, just close to one of the most famous temple in Bagan. The place is very nice, with flowers, lovely tables, it's clean and birds fly everywhere. Just one cons: the smoking area is close to the non-smoking area,so if you don't like smoke it can be annoying. I had guacamole with kind of crackers. The only thing I did not like was the crackers, too much oil. Then I had the pumpkin and ginger soup...amazing!!! My husband had the coconut curry with tofu and veggies, and he loved it. Food is delicious. I give 5 stars

Pros: location , delicious food, nice place

Cons: smoking area

Lovely!!! - Edit

Not to be missed!! This restaurant came recommended both by a taxi driver as well as by the people working at our hostel, without even knowing my friend and I were vegetarian, so it definitely seems like one of the top places to eat in Bagan. We went twice and tried several dishes and everything was fresh and delicious. The ambience is also great, the prices very reasonable, and the staff incredibly friendly. It's also great to be able to try local dishes without worrying about fish paste or dried shrimp being added!!

If you're vegan... - Edit

If you're vegan ask for Niy Niy. He speaks excellent English and knows what vegan means.

We loved The Moon. We ate there all four days we were in Bagan. Terrific setting, expansive menu and helpful staff.

We especially recommend the coconut shakes made with coconut water, the lentil soup and most everything on the menu ;-)

Our only complaint would be that we had trouble eating there as vegans. We ate there several times and more than half of them things we ordered without milk, etc. still came with animal products. They managed to sort out the issues eventually, but it could have been much smoother.

Definitely recommend this place for a unique experience and for supporting a good cause.

Pros: Atmosphere, Wide array of menu items, Friendly staff

Cons: Challenging as a vegan, Costs a bit more, Allows smoking

Great Vegetarian Food in a Nice Setting - Edit

I liked this restaurant. Most of the seating is outdoors and shaded. They have a mix of Burmese dishes and non-Burmese dishes (including some creative ones). I went twice--one time I had the tamarind leaf curry (though that did have more onions and tomatoes than tamarind leaves, but it was still good). They have a list of specials but also a full menu (though I think they're more likely to have the ingredients available for the specials than for other items on the menu). They bring out peanuts as an appetizer (though you're likely to share these with some of the birds flying around as they like to grab them out of the bowl!).

Pros: good food, nice ambience, fairly good selection

Cons: could be a little spicier

Outstanding - Edit

I was in Bagan for almost a week for work so I ate here many times. Wonderful experiences every time!
I dabbled in some other nearby restaurants but ran into 2 issues - either they were a bit dull, or it was impossible to ascertain what was a vegetarian dish (or could be done in veg mode).
At the Moon, of course the food and drinks were excellent, but the best part was the friendly staff and owner (Ms Zimmar) who ended up my almost-dinner partners each evening as they came over to chat. Chilled and happy people.
I noticed on here a review mentioning the restaurant is popular with tour groups. There is the occasional group who stop off for meal breaks, but perhaps this is a sign of the success of the restaurant?
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 04, 2014

Pros: Tasty food, Low price, Great service

Cons: Open air, Insects at night, No AC

Enjoyed everything! - Edit

Very varied menu with cuisines of all the world. Friendly atmosphere, excellent service, high quality products. This restaurant does not use palm oil, it is very good. It is a pity, but restaurant on opposite stole this idea and menu. I hope in the Moon everything will be good. I can recommend this place to everyone!

Pros: vegan menu, friendly staff, excellent food

Tour group heaven - Edit

We tried to eat here but they didn't have the dishes we ordered so we left after an expensive drink. It was empty when we arrived but by the time we'd finished our drink it was packed full of tour groups so we're glad we left!

Pros: Menu looked good

Cons: Didn't have all the dishes available, Full of tour groups

AKA Be Kind to Animals - Edit

Info blurb says 'steps away from Ananda Temple' just so you know it's more like 100 m around the street corner, set back from the main road amid a cluster of other restaurants. Food is very good, well prepared. Decor is nice despite that this is actually in a shack. Subtitle of restaurant is "Be Kind to Animals". Started raining after we finished eating so we got stuck there for a while as we were in bikes. Staff was gracious, allowed us to wait at a large table despite that it was busy and even served us complimentary tea, tamarind, and palm sugar candies. Guacamole is good. Salads are lovely.

Pros: ethical vegetarians

Cons: mosquitoes

Excellent restaurant - Edit

We ate there twice - lunch one day - veggie spring rolls and a chapatti wrap. It was so good we went back the next day for dinner, when we had coconut veggie & tofu curry, pumpkin & lemongrass tofu and fried banana for dessert. Including beer, the total cost was only K8,000 - about US$9.00. A very delicious bargain. The staff was super friendly, too, and happy to pose for photos with us.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, great value

Nice little restaurant with excellent food - Edit

Excellent food is served in this vegetarian restaurant with a very good choice and vegan meals available.
We had lunch or dinner every day at the Moon during our stay in Bagan! Especially we loved the tomoato curry and the lady fingers! Try the tamarid juce as well! :-)

Lunch and dinner - Edit

We were lucky to stumble on this restaurant and had lunch at first. By the way: it sounds like it is a cafe, but we are most certain you can have a decent meal as well, just as we did.
Food was prompt, nicely proporsioned en cheap! Staff was helpfull, even though English is not their forte.
We decided to have dinner there another day, as we noticed another vegetarian restaurant across the dirt road.

Pros: price, taste, location

Cons: Language barrier

Return to Bagan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Moon Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2198 times since Apr 2008.