Moon and River Cafe

Contact 518-382-1938

115 S Ferry St (at Stockade District), Schenectady, New York, USA, 12305

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffeehouse with a menu that's vegetarian friendly. Has tempeh and tofu dishes, sandwiches, and salads. Vegans to specify. Events on many nights. Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by luv2fly5em

Quiet Vegan Joint - Edit

This was a gift from the lack of Albany options. Moon and River is located in the historic district of Schenectady. We were lucky to spend relaxing time with Arthur, the owner of twelve years. He prepared a delicious vegan chicken pomodoro and vegan gyro. WHATEVER YOU DO, GET THE CAKE!!! It was a great find and highly recommended. We're even considering going back for breakfast even though it's out of the way.

Pros: many plate options, comfortable and quiet environment, Arthur

Cons: no wifi

Not Like a Conventional Cafe - Edit

The set up is a bit on the homey side, which I am not against, but I am sure some would find it awkward as it is like you are sitting in a strangers dining room. Once you get past that, you will find that the menu has lots of vegetarian and vegan options. There is usually only one person doing all the work, so don't be in a hurry when sitting down to eat. While I have never personally found the slow timing bothersome, I could see it being a deal breaker for some.

Once you finally decide what you want from the extensive menu, you will find your meal fairly delicious. Last time I went, there were vegan desserts to choose from as well. This is a fantastic place for a quiet, relaxing meal.

Pros: Delicious Food, Plentiful Vegan Options

Cons: Small Portions/Pricey

Thanks Richie - Edit

What a great breakfast! We found this place during our 3000 mile road trip, with the help of HC. We were the only ones in the place and Richie was so friendly and helpful. We had a tofu scramble and french toast. We have only been vegan for 5 weeks and we loved the treats we found here...vegan cookies and brownies. We asked Richie if he could fix us "Chicken salad" for us to go. It wasn't on the menu but he fixed us an absolutely amazing lunch. When I got home I even called him for the recepie! We had 2 breakfasts, coffee, smoothie, cookies, brownies, chicken salad all for only $35.00!!! Thanks Richie

Pros: Creative owner, art and books abound

great little cafe - Edit

My husband and I enjoy eating at the Moon and River, we ate here when we both still ate cheese/eggs, and we still enjoy it now that we are fully vegan. We only go here if we are ready for a slow-paced leisurely meal, as like other reviewers have mentioned, it can take a little while to get your food. Lots of yummy sandwich options (I love the tofu, vegenaise, avocado sandwich) and good breakfast options too, try the "vegan breakfast."
Richard is very friendly, and the atmosphere is cool. We enjoy the nightly music and the neighbor-feel of the place.
The portion are reasonable, some people might say "small" but in reality they are the right amount of food you should eat at a meal, not like the mountain of food most restaurants serve these days.

Pros: huge variety on menu, tasty food, cool music

Cons: no credit cards, not "fast service"

disappointing - Edit

Their menu is overwhelmingly filled with delicious vegan meals but unfortunately despite my numerous options I found the experience very disappointing. The atmosphere while cool and funky , it is also extremely awkward when you are the only customer there. It literally is like being in a stranger's kitchen which is nice for someone who enjoys that but very uncomfortable and awkward for someone who doesn't. The food was indeed delicious but portions are small and prices are steep. Since food is made to order by only one person the wait can be awhile. And by awhile I mean it can take almost an hour. The owner is nice and friendly and the food is good but unfortunately that wasn't enough to keep me going back.

Pros: good food , nice staff

Cons: long wait, expensive , small portions

So Delicious! - Edit

Went with my mom and boyfriend (who are both not vegan or vegetarian) on a Sunday afternoon. I ordered the Vegan Reuben (since going vegan the one thing I have not managed to stave off cravings for is a good Reuben) and it was fantastic! Small portions, and a little pricey, but worth it since the vegan options in this area are almost nothing. Atmosphere is hippy/artsy but really cozy, fun, and quiet (when there isn't a band playing). Owner is soft spoken but really nice. They also have lots of vegan and gluten-free desserts and treats!

Pros: quiet, food, menu options

Cons: prices

Great - Edit

Cool cafe in Schenectady's nicest neighborhood. Most amount of vegan options in the capital district. Food is good, but portions small. The owner always seems to be there and is great for conversation. byob. Free entertainment every night. Good vibe.

Pros: Many vegan options, Good people, Free shows at 8

Cons: Small poritons

Neat little place - Edit

I love this cafe. The food is excellent, and reasonably priced. Very friendly, artsy atmosphere. I love that there is live music every night, and such a full calender. I was just passing through town, so I unfortunately did not get to stay for anything...but had a great meal. Try the Moroccan eggs, they are awesome! I would give these guys a 5star, if happy cow would let me!

Pros: the food, friendly staff, live music

Yummy! - Edit

Ordered the tofu/avocado sandwich with veganaise. It was very good. We went at dinner and they had several locals that were standing up to sing and play guitar, which was enjoyable to watch. Music was not too loud.

Pros: Food, Selection, Atmosphere

Cons: Some very strange characters inside.

Return to Schenectady Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Moon and River Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2706 times since Aug 2007.