First Review by RitchieLogan

lovely - Edit

What a lovely little cafe! All vegan apart from offering dairy milk to customers. I had a black bean wrap which was delicious and although I'm not gluten free the wrap itself was tasty. It was really full too, they didn't skimp on the filling. My friend had falafel and salad which she enjoyed, I had a taste and although the flavour was lovely I found them a big dry. My friends mum had the baked potato with mushrooms which she enjoyed too.
We were too full for dessert but there was such an amazing selection of cakes, plus sweet potato/chocolate brownies, carrot cake, choc/beetroot cake, choc/orange tarts...so I took a selection away with me and thoroughly enjoyed them all.
It's very cosy in the cafe, and the staff were lovely. They sell all sorts of vegan/gluten free stuff too. Definitely worth a visit I think.

Very nice little cafe - Edit

Delicious and genuinely interesting food - flavour combinations I wouldn't have thought of. Decent-sized portions, a little bit on the expensive side maybe but not bad at all for what it is. Fully vegan, unless you want cowjuice in your coffee, so that's nice.

Pros: Adventurous, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not cheap

Nice little place - keen to come back - Edit

A friend told me about this place and immediately I wanted to check it out. Only popped into a Golden Milk smoothie which brought me a lot of joy. I sat in and felt really relaxed. I'll certainly need to come back and try more stuff.

Pros: Nice selection of smoothies, Relaxing space

Lovely little vegan place - Edit

Loved this little vegan eatery. Everything vegan and gluten free although they do serve dairy milk for teas and coffees if requested. Lots of options for breakfast, brunch and lunch including waffles! Had a great wrap with tofu scramble and potatoes and my partner had the falafel which he said was great. Also sells some small cupboard essentials to suit dietary requirements like pasta, crisps, sauces etc. Well worth a visit for lunch! Staff were great when looking into allergens for us too.

Pros: Vegan, Gluten free, Cheap

Amazing salads - Edit

A small and beautiful space. Tried some of the wraps, a salad selection and a waffle. The salads were amazing - a good variety and selection of tastes and textures.
Wraps were ok. The waffle was good and very filling but would have benefited form some sauce to provide a little extra moisture.

Great new addition for Edinburgh - Edit

After initially not finding the moon & hare, i managed to spot the very small vegetarian and vegan information on the window. A similar ethos to Meadowlark offering healthy vegetarian and vegan, the difference being moon & hare is also pushing the raw food options as well, offering greener non bread wraps.

Though has gone into the layout and its well organised in a small space, beautifully designed and decorated. Service was a little slow, but this is something we should expect when people are offering fresh food, but the staff were really nice and helpful.

I had a tofu and black bean wrap and was given a small sample of all the salads which is always great to have that choice. An emphasis on organic as well as vegan, the food was outstanding. Fresh and flavoursome with a variety of textures the food was fabulous, washed down with a green superfood smoothie.

A rare chance to have desert, i opted for the chocolate cake over the spiced apple cake, with vegan. The cake was lush, nice sponge with a thick chocolate outer, hit the spot!!!

After chatting to the owner i asked about the small vegan/vegetarian sign and she said she was worried vegan/veggie might put people off. This is something that a lot of places do now, and i can't knock it if it works. I hope it does because the moon & hare was magic. They only non vegan option i could see was the milk for coffee, so this is a great option for people in edinburgh.
popped back in at the weekend to drop off a decal. had some cake, great cake.

Pros: vegan food. , staff, chilled & healthy.

Great in theory - Edit

A very pretty little café, Moon and Hare should be a welcome addition to Edinburgh's vegan scene. I can't help but feel a little disappointed by it though.
The simple premise is good - my friend and I both chose one of their four wraps and supplemented it with a cup of soup. (The soup was excellent, but the tiny cup for £2.50 stung a little) . Our wraps were...just ok. The tofu was watery and underseasoned, the veg had the sting of uncooked spices. Watching the server load another guest's wrap with Tesco prebagged spinach straight from the packet made me wonder about their ethos.
Our post-prandial coffee was very badly made, and atrociously overpriced. (Too many excellent coffee shops within a 30 second walk to get away with that!)
All in all, I didn't want to give this place a bad review, but too many things just didn't sit quite right with me.
I'll be happy to return and give it another shot, though.

Pros: Lovely staff, Pretty decor, Excellent soup

Cons: Coffee , Wonky seasoning

Great little cafe, many gluten free options. - Edit

I went here with my girlfriend who is celiac and happy to say there were definitely good options for both of us. They've got some pretty fantastic gluten free and vegan waffles. Great spot for breakfast,lunch, or a coffee and a small snack.

Pros: gluten free

Delicious and healthy - Edit

Great little spot for fresh and healthy meals. Beautiful decor , reasonable prices and friendly helpful service. All homemade cooking, healthy and fresh ingredients and a little shop in the back full of health foods for the home cook. Highly recommended cafe.

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Moon & Hare closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.