Monty's Blue Plate Diner

• Veg-friendly
Contact 608-244-8505

2089 Atwood Ave, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 53704

Serves meat, vegan options available. About half of the menu is vegetarian, including mockchicken, black bean dishes, veganrib sandwich, tofu scramble, vegan pies, etc. Veganaise available on sandwiches upon request. Braille menu available for customers with vision impairments.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by rccourtney

Great Surprise - Edit

My husband and I missed this place on our first trip to Madison! I'm so glad we found it on Happy Cow for our second trip because wow, this place has so much vegan stuff on their menu, including lots of breakfast items! I think we drove past this place the first time, and I was probably thinking, yeah right, like they have anything vegan there...

Make sure to check out the vegan menu on their web site. There's lots of info about vegan extras they offer that are not mentioned on their menu, most notably milkshakes! Milkshakes are on their regular dessert menu at the table, but there is no mention of vegan milkshakes. Our server knew what we were talking about though, and we were able to have amazing shakes (one Oreo, one chocolate) with our ridiculously good tofu reuben and waffle fries - super greasy but what do you expect with diner food? We also got to have a satisfying brunch here - a delicious potato hash paired with tofu scramble fruit and toast. We also got a plate of vegan banana walnut pancakes to share; we could not finish everything; portion sizes are generous here.

I'm curious if this place is ever not busy. It says on their web site - "always busy." I figured that they wouldn't be crowded before 11 AM on a Monday - nope they were just about as crowded as they were on a Saturday morning for brunch.

Pros: vegan comfort/traditional diner food, large portions, lots of vegan options for all meals!

Cons: too busy, traditional diner atmosphere, just OK service

Monty's is amazing. - Edit

My go-to place when introducing v*gans to local food in Madison. Has a great selection of vegan food items, all relatively priced with filling portions. Has vegan cheese, dairy-free ice cream for milkshakes, all of the fruit pies are vegan, and they use locally-made tempeh for many of their veggie dishes. The heathen vegan sandwich is a must-have.

good vegan options - Edit

we stopped here on a recent vegan road trip. parking was easy in the attached lot. We got there early on a monday morning, so it wasn't busy. friendly staff and ours was very knowledgeable about the vegan options which were also clearly listed on the menu.

I had the vegetarian hash with tofu scramble. it was well done. I would go back if I am in the area again.

Pros: clearly labels vegan options, friendly staff

Yummy comfort food - Edit

My family and I love this place! IT can be very busy if you try to go there around noon on a Saturday but they are very efficient in getting you seated. Food never takes long and is always great. I love the Heathan vegan! Breakfeast all day. Freindly staff always!

Pros: inexpensive, great staff, fast

Cons: can be busy at certain times

vegan comfort food to die for - Edit

Great comfort food for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores. I'm not a huge fan of the hash, but many disagree with me. A madison classic. You really can't go wrong here. The coffee is amazing.

Pros: breakfast all day

Cons: limited vegan GF dishes

Monty's Blue Plate Wonderfulness... - Edit

If you seek comfort in your excursions into cuisine not made in your own kitchen, then Monty's is the place to be! They even have delicious selections for me, a very active Vegan. Whatever you choose from their extensive and interesting menu, you will not be disappointed. From toast to desserts, their world is your place of complete contentment - you win every time!

Pros: Great, diverse comfort food menu, Savvy Staff, Cool surroundings

Excellent Place for Vegan Breakfast - Edit

They have a fairly big selection of vegan options for breakfast, and their fruit pies are also usually vegan. Separate vegan menu. Classic diner style, with good, friendly service.

Nice, but crowded - Edit

The tofu scrambler was good, apparently so was the sweet potato hash. They also have vegan french toast I can't wait to try.

Pros: Vegan menu is awesome, Friendly staff, Martinis at 10AM

Cons: Crowded, Kids, Burgers :'(

Nice dinner - Edit

I was in Madison recently on a business trip and found Monty's Blue Plate Diner by browsing around on HappyCow. For dinner on a Monday night I had a glass of New Glarus Brewing Co. Spotted Cow beer (on tap), the Heathen Vegan sandwich with fries, and a slice of the New York Cheesecake. Everything was excellent. The waiter offered a tip that the Heathen Vegan sandwich can be a bit more manageable to eat if it's ordered as a wrap instead of in the default French baguette; I should have taken his advice. The sandwich was excellent, but they are generous with the fillings and it kept spilling out of the bread. Oh well, that's what forks are for. :) I'd definitely eat here again! The only downside is that the parking lot attached to the restaurant is a bit on the small side (to be expected, given it's location in Madison). I got lucky and found a spot in the lot, but be prepared to hunt for on-street parking nearby if you come at a busier time.

Pros: Large vegetarian selection, Local beers on tap, Friendly waitstaff

Cons: Limited parking

Everyone's Happy - Edit

My husband (vegetarian), 5 and 7 year olds (not veg*), and I (vegan) all enjoy this place. They have a vegan menu and a gluten free menu, must request. They serve breakfast all day. They may not have any vegan desserts. It's an unusual and fun mix of food: diner food alongside tofu, tempeh, gluten free bread, vegetables, fruit, etc

Pros: variety, tasty food, friendly service

Cons: not whole food plant based

good, but menu could be better - Edit

Monty's Blue Plate is great for omnivores, vegetarians and vegans, so it's a great choice when dining with a mixed group.

The only iffy experience I had there was the time I ordered a breakfast dish that was otherwise vegan (can't remember which one - sorry to any staff reading this) and it came with some kind of breakfast/dinner biscuit which really seemed like it was not vegan (it really seemed like it had buttermilk and/or butter). The menu seemed to be pretty easy for vegetarians to navigate, but I think the labeling could be made easier for their vegan customers. Signs and logos that clearly, visually announce the vegan/vegetarian status of any dish is always appreciated. Many vegans are also anti-confrontational types, so the last thing they'd want to do is pepper the waitstaff with questions about milk, butter and eggs. Something to consider the next time they redo the menu. Any veg-friendly place can draw a vegan in once or even twice, but it's ease and lack of hassle that that will keep a vegan coming back and telling their friends.

It can get pretty packed on weekends, which can be fun, but if you're not looking for that kind of experience, I'd say go during the week or at a typically non-busy time.

And the vegan heathen sandwich is simply awesome.

Pros: good food, lots of vegan options, good atmosphere

Cons: menu not always clear about vegan status, often too busy

A Favorite - Edit

My wife and I live part-time in Madison (also our home town) and probably eat at Monty's more than any other restaurant. My wife is not vegan, so we take full advantage of the wide variety of options. People watching is also fun.

Pros: Many good vegan options, Something for everyone

Cons: Too busy sometimes

YUMMY! - Edit

The atmosphere was great, the staff was friendly and very good, knowledgeable and on-top of things.

The only words that come to mind regarding the food is "YUMMY!" The boyfriend and I both had different veg meals and loved them both! (We usually split our meals so we each eat 1/2 of the others to get more variety.) Heathen Vegan Shoplifter's Delight is my favorite ... although the sloppy faux is pretty darn good too!

The price was extremely reasonable for the quality and portion size.

We found Monty's through HappyCow and will go back any time we are in town!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere

score! - Edit

super awesome easy to know if vegan or veggie menu! hip AND friendly staff (both usually dont go hand in hand). lots and lots to choose from, everything is good. i visited on a weekday morning and there was a short wait, so this is the dinner to go to for those memorable and fun sunday breakfasts! this place is a must!

Pros: menu, variety, staff

recently expanded vegetarian menu - Edit

This place has more veg options than they did last year. Currently, the vegan heathen sandwhich is a favorite. They also have a vege hash plate, seitan pork sandwich etc. For dessert, there is soy ice cream and any of the pies without crumb topping are vegan. Pies with crumb topping are made with lard.

Pros: more veg options lately, great atmosphere

Cons: crumb topping crust made with lard

2 Responses

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Monty's Blue Plate Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3998 times since Aug 2007.