Monroe's New Mexican

Contact 505-881-4224

6051 Osuna Rd NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, 87109

Serves meat, vegan options available. Full vegetarian menu including calavacita fajitas, Puerto Rican bean enchiladas, and calavacitas tacos. Some menu items are either vegan or can be made vegan. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Uneekr4

Awesome place - Edit

Had a decent vegetarian section that was easily veganized. VERY friendly and attentive staff. Food was great. Even on a Thursday afternoon it was hopping, so you know it's good!

Meh - Edit

Great, friendly service. They have a separate vegetarian menu, so that's nice. And the red chile is vegan. But the food is pretty mediocre. Not very flavorful at all.

Overall: if your friends and family REALLY want to come here, then you will be able to find a filling vegan meal. But keep your expectations low.

Pros: Friendly staff, Separate veg menu

Cons: Seriously lacking in flavor

NICE FAMILY & FRIENDS RESTAURANT - Edit

I typically eat at Monroe's about 3 times a month for weekend family and friend get togethers. The Vegetarian menu is consistently good and the variety is welcomed as well, plus the rest of the family and friends like it as well. Usually busy in evenings but the service is good. The focus is food and not spirits so it's a good place even for young ones.
One of the best combo restaurant's there is in Albuquerque and the prices are good too!

Pros: Separate Veg. Menu, special requests OK, The patio in the summer is very nice, Reasonable Prices, Good Portions

Cons: Sometimes Very Busy, Closes before 10:00pm

Misguided - Edit

Warning: Not all items on the Veggie Alternatives Menu are vegetarian!
I ordered the #6 Veggie Tostadas (Gluten free) for $11.50. The description lists 2 bluecorn tostada shells stuffed with avocado, whole beans, pico de gallo, mozzarella, lettuce and tomato. Served with calavacitas and salsa.
As I have never heard of calavacitas, I asked the server to explain. He said it is a Mexican side dish made with grilled zucchini and squash -- he failed to mention, however, that it is prepared on the same grill used for their meat dishes. I only learned this after discovering a piece of chopped beef mixed in with the calavacita on my Veggie Tostadas plate. While I was not charged for the plate, the server did not seem to understand my concern with cross-contamination in the kitchen. Clearly, this establishment's idea of veggie alternatives is misguided.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 27, 2014

Cons: menu misleading

Messed up order twice - Edit

I am vegan so I ordered something vegetarian with no cheese. The first time I ate one bite, saw cheese and sent it back. The second time, feeling safe, I ate half of it before I realized there was cheese in it again. I hate sending back food so I just ate everything else on my plate. I wanted to like this place but since they can't make food without cheese I will never go back there again!

Cons: service, not vegan friendly

Wonderful experience - Edit

The restaurant has a veggie menu offering tacos, fajitas, tostadas, enchiladas, veggie rellano and a veggie burger. The vegetables weren't just the normal peppers and onions but included squash and other veggies. The staff was courteous and accommodating. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you're in the Albuquerque area!

Pros: Different vegetarian options, Food, Service

Cons: Margarita was small and weak

Return to Albuquerque Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Monroe's New Mexican closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.