CLOSED: Mondragon Bookstore and Coffeehouse

• Vegan

Contact 204-946-5241

91 Albert St (at Exchange District, between Bannatyne & McDermot), Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada,

A workers co-operative vegan coffee house, bookstore, and a political resource centre. Menu includes veggie burger, burrito, salad with southern fried tofu, vegan deserts, local vegan beer, fair trade coffee. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan

First Review by Katrinamgerman

Mondragon: A Diamond in Winnipeg's Rough - Edit

Mondragon remains my favourite establishment in Winnipeg. I think they could do with some good top-down management to address issues concerning beggers approaching patrons and the reliability of supplies, but perhaps these features are inherent to the feel-good collective model. Mondragon hosts alternative events and showcases up-and-coming local artists. Their vegan food is delicious and superb (when they have the ingredients in stock). Wash down a veggie burger with an ice-cold local brew. But, while you're wallowing in vegan nirvana, please be sure to hide any valuables in your vehicle from sight, as crime is rampant in central Winnipeg. Mondragon is always an incomparable experience, and not to be missed on any excursion to this frozen shithole of a city.

Pros: Best veggie burgers ever, Interesting old building in The Exchange, Rich cultural atmosphere

Cons: Homeless people loitering outside, Beggers in the restaurant, Often, lack of supplies and ingredients

Amazing staff, and awesome food - Edit

I visited the Mondragon twice while in Winnipeg. The first day I was there, I did not expect to be on the floor of this Cafe doing bridges with one of the staff, but it was actually fun. The muffin, I had was great however the drink was not my favorite. The second visit, I had the falafel special, and it was really yummy, and the Dragon salad was to die for!!! The coffee was also really incredible. Although it lacked air conditioning and the lighting was insufficient for me to read, overall I would definitely recommend it for as a place for great food. As well as to meet interesting people, including the staff!!

not too shabby - Edit

Right in downtown Winnipeg. Not a huge menu, but some very tasty stuff on it. The samosas were fantastic, the vegan caesar salad was great, and they do one hell of a veggie burger. Some interesting literature for sale, as well as some I could do without.

Pros: 100% vegan, great samosas, interesting book section

Cons: don't seem to realize that anarchism and, socialism are irreconcilably opposite

Meh - Edit

Mondragon generally has good food, but over the past year or two has become highly inconsistent. I was even once overcharged by $20 when I was getting groceries and picking up an order. Last time I ordered a burger from them, it was cold. I e-mailed them with my complaints, but they didn't bother to respond. Pretty disappointing.

However, they do have wonderful desserts.

fabulous - Edit

Can't stop raving about this place. Everything we have had so far is the best fresh tasting food. Its nice to go to a place that is 100% vegan. Really only 2 places in town I can think of that offer this. The portions are large. The price is fair. I love the variety of the daily specials. We are never dissapointed. Nice to be in an atmosphere of fellow vegans. I can't wait to take non vegan friends.

Pros: freshness, flavor, price

funky atmosphere-great food - Edit

Specials have been consistently tasty. Dragon salad dressing balances out the stronger greens perfectly. Desserts are addictive (yay-vegan treats). Breakfast burrito is the best I have had. This is the place to go if you want healthy food that doesn't disappoint. Large portions at a very fair price.

Fast, Fresh and Friendly! - Edit

I stopped into the Mondragon on a Friday night. The exterior of the building is covered in art-graffitti, the interior has a cool beatnik coffee house/bookstore vibe. The staff was friendly and informative. There was counter service only. Table service at lunch, I was told. Although my order was delivered to my table without much delay. I tried a Breakfast burrito (available all day) side of Spinach salad and house made Black bean soup. All were very fresh, tasty and filling. The burrito was full of flavor with just the right amount of heat. The spinach salad was a beautiful creation colorfully decorated with long thin cuts of beet and yellow pepper?, sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and craisins. The black bean soup of the day was hearty and delicious. I also enjoyed the beer selection. I had a locally brewed Little Scrapper IPA from the Half Pints Brewing Co. A very nice IPA indeed. Next time I'm in Winnipeg I will most certainly make it to the Mondragon.

Pros: Tasty food, Fast service, Friendly staff

GREAT OASIS IN PRARIE DESERT OF MEAT EATERS - Edit

Not many veg restaurants in Wpg to compare this one to, but it is GREAT, least what I had ; ) Will return. Had the twister, spinach salad, shared real apple juice, coffee and chocolate cake. Friend had BLT and tomato barley soup, I had the Thai soup. All VERY tasty and was full when left. Loved the anti establishment atmosphere. No problems with service as some commented, actually quite quick and we arrived around 6 PM weekday. A MUST CHECK OUT if in Winnipg!

Pros: food, friendly staff

Cons: none I could find

Mond Dragon Best Ceaser Salad in the 'Peg - Edit

I have been going to Mondragon since I was an angry teenager and everything there is spectacular. The Ceaser salad is to die for and the croutons are amazing! The atmosphere is different and it is a neat venue for any up and coming artist. Recently I heard the restaurant needed support to stay open if you can go, it is worthwhile to keep this establishment up and running.

Pros: Great food, good venue for musicians

Return to Winnipeg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mondragon Bookstore and Coffeehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2008 times since Aug 2007.