Moncai Vegan

Contact 619-228-9881

3531 Adams Ave, San Diego, California, USA, 92116

Offers vegan comfort food and dessert. Sunday is brunch menu only. Began as a farmers market vendor, then a retail location in 2013 on University Ave, then here in 2015. Minimum purchase required for credit card. Wed-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-2:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Mike Weinberg

Amazing - Edit

So my boyfriend and I shared basically the entire breakfast menu. We had the roasted potatoes, the sage drop biscuits, pancakes and waffles. Everything was amazing. All of the sauces were great and the pancakes were perfect. Will definitely come back next time I'm in SD.

Wonderful Food! - Edit

Wow! We were visiting San Diego from Northern CA and were so impressed with our dinner here. My husband had spaghetti and "meatballs" and I had veggie polenta. They were both great. This chef knows how to use his seasonings and ingredients to optimize flavor as well as health benefits. And for those who like sweets, they have incredible baked goods... the carrot cake is better than any I have had, vegan or not. We wish this place were next door to us, because with such reasonable prices we could eat here most nights.

Pros: delicious, healthy, reasonable

A Good Option - Edit

I've been to Monicai Vegan often during my travels through Northpark. Usually, I'm there around lunch and I get what's on special. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The location is nice; it's in trendy Northpark and there's lots to do. Parking is ok, you have to drive around a bit to find a suitable spot. There's a lot of wheat and gluten based products so this is a sore spot for me. I love their desserts, again most are not gluten free.

Pros: Daily specials, Great customer service, Nice location

Cons: Not enough gluten free options

so good - Edit

I had the nachos and a cinnamon roll and my daughter had a custard filled donut. Everything was so fresh and amazing. Most take home cinnamon rolls when heated up tend to become a little dry but not this cinnamon roll. It taste fresh baked. The nachos were out of this world and I will be returning many times.

Pros: reasonable price

Cons: cash only

AMAZING VEGAN FOOD! - Edit

I ordered the full brunch menu, and either I was truly starving or it was the BEST brunch I have ever had. The full brunch included a vegan tofu scramble with steamed veggies like broccoli and zucchini, roasted potatoes, biscuits and gravy, maple-flavored bacon, vegan-buttery pancakes and fresh fruit.

VEGAN SCRAMBLE:
Some tofu scramble leaves a certain after taste, but not theirs. Fresh scramble and veggies con mucho sabor.

ROASTED POTATOES:
Deliciously flavored papas with peppers and onions. They tasted even better mixed in with the scramble. Very yummy!

BISCUITS & GRAVY:
Fresh southern-style biscuits with thick gravy. So good!

PANCAKES:
2 big, soft and golden brown pancakes, which came with vegan butter and syrup. Better than any IHOP or Denny's. They were like fluffy clouds of happiness in my mouth.

All of this amazing food for only $12.95. What a steal! It also came with your choice of coffee or tea, which I declined. I had called in my order so it was ready when I arrived. And I was super grateful that the employee informed me ahead of time that they were cash only, so I stopped and picked up some cash before heading in.
There was street parking, but luckily I found a spot right outside of their front door.

SALTED CARAMEL CUPCAKE:
While checking out, I noticed a huge cupcake staring at me from their dessert case. When she said, "caramel," I knew it was coming with me. From the moist cake, to the to-die-for caramel icing and caramel sauce... It was definitely one of those "I can't believe it's vegan" moments.

As I was paying, I also noticed that they had an amazing special for the day: Pineapple Upside Down French Toast. I asked if it would be available the following day, but to my dismay, they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'll just have to make sure that my next San Diego visit spans across several of their operating days, because I can not wait to have more of this yumminess in my belly!

Pros: delicious all vegan menu, friendly staff, great prices

Cons: parking

Nice and vegan - Edit

I took a friend here for her birthday. We enjoyed our meal, we found the food a bit bland and expensive. Great ideas, nice staff, smallish menu. Glad to have a vegan restaurant in this part of town, but hope they focus more on healthy options and more seasoning.

Pros: clean restaurant, friendly staff, flavored water delicious

Cons: smallish menu, food a bit bland

Excellent Vegan Food - Edit

I ate here a couple of weeks ago and highly recommend it. I had the Chickn & Dumplings (chewy yummy dumplings) and hot chocolate (double yum!). I went back on Sunday for the Brunch with hibiscus tea- pancakes were nice and fluffy, and the entire meal was excellent. The employees and chef (owner?) are all very nice. I highly recommend Moncai Vegan.

Pros: Yummy food, Friendly staff, Hot Chocolate!

Great food, friendly people. - Edit

Moncai Vegan is awesome. I had their Sunday brunch deal. They have nice outdoor seating with a heat lamp for those 'cold' San Diego nights. The people are friendly and knowledgable.

Cons: closed on Monday and Tuesday

Contributions +43

dessert - Edit

This place was good till I ordered a sandwich with NO mayo...I get home
Open my box and the sandwich is COVERED with mayo (booo). Not the best customer service. However desserts are delicious and best part is this place has vegan donuts!! Place is very small so if I wanted to go out to dinner with a group of friends this wouldn't be the place for that. No private parking for customers.

Very, Very Good Vegan Restaurant/Dessert Bakery - Edit

Though each days menu is limited, the food is tastey and hearty. Serving sizes were filling. The American Style comfort food is flavorful, with several contrasting flavors and textures with each meal. I had the "chicken" and dumplings and my companion had the linguini with vegetables. The plating and some fine touches indicate a level of gourmet training of the chef. We both enjoyed both meals, the appetizer of panko coated and fried zucchini, and I quite liked the house made hibiscus tea/juice drink (quite rich). Took home one of the massive cinnamon rolls. The bread part is fully baked, yet the cinnamon and icing sections remain gooey soft, with almonds adding crunch. This is the best cinnamon roll in San Diego. Not the best vegan one. The best one of any type. (The one's in the OB Co-Op (that sell out within five minutes) just lost their crown). A gluten free chocolate chip cookie was also very good. I'm looking forward to trying the brunch. BTW this is comfort food which is considerably healthier than its' non vegan counterpart, but it's not health food. (BTW I warned the folks at Casa De Luz (a now empty husk) to serve their hot food hot, repeatedly. The operators of Moncai understand that you MUST provide the basic good service standards of a meal.)

Pros: Excellent meals, Hot food is hot, cold food is cold!, Good and interesting dessert choices

Cons: Smallish place, Not cheap, but not expensive either, A limited selection of beverages

Fantastic! - Edit

I joined the San Diego Vegans meetup group here for dinner Friday night and for brunch Sunday morning. The entrees are visually beautiful and abundant. The desserts are sinfully decadent. The owners and staff are warm and welcoming. Moncai Vegan is a great addition to the rapidly-growing San Diego vegan scene!

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Moncai Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10179 times since Nov 2010.