Mona's Cafe and Deli

Contact 504-949-4115

504 Frenchman St (at French Quarter), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70116

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers some vegetarian food including spinach pie, falafel sandwich, eggplant sandwich, hummus, musabaha, tabouli, vegetable platter, lagnasa. Vegans ask to leave out the cheese.

Category: Lacto, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by CynthiaNP

Good Veg Offerings - Edit

I was steered there by WWOZ staff and was quite happy with the lunch that they provided. They offer a good number of Veg/Vegan appetizers. Two of those plus the herb encrusted flat bread made a very filling and inexpensive lunch.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 24, 2014

2015 Update
Still wonderful. You are likely to get served a lot of food and you'll want to eat it all. There are still many great veg choices. We ordered a combo plate the would ordinarily come with meat but they gladly substituted more veg stuff for the meat dishes. We left happy. Another great Frenchman St. restaurant.

Pros: Good Veg Choices, Inexpensive, Close to Frenchman St. clubs

Decent Lebanese - Edit

Pretty good Lebanese, smaller serves than I am used to. Nice staff, a good selection of vegetarian options, not much vegan. Reasonably priced, not cheap.

Pros: Vegetarian On Frenchman

Cons: Small Serves

Good Mediterranean Food - Edit

We've eaten at all Mona's locations for nearly a decade now. They've never disappointed and thier menu, obviously, had accomodated our evolving diets from carnivores to now vegans.
Mona's Cafe serves traditional cuisine by people who know it well. Hummus, falafels, ... While there isn't really anything exciting on the menu for vegans, it IS a place to accomodate everyone in your dinner party.

Pros: vegan friendly, traditional mediterranean food done well, multiple locations

Cons: it isn't 100% vegan;)

Fabulous Dinner - Edit

Recommended by 2 New Orleans' locals, I checked out Mona's Cafe. It was amazing! I tried the falafel plate (which is vegan) and it was so delicious. The falafels are fried so of course they are tasty and the hummus & tahini dressing are the perfect complement to the dish. If you are in NO and you can only go to one restaraunt, make it Mona's - you will not be dissapointed.

Pros: Fabulous Meal, Large seating area

a surprise - Edit

We were overjoyed to find Mona's excellent restaurant in a city famous for food we do not eat. It is some of the best middle eastern food
I have had. Tasty generous portions. Wonderful 'Foul' a bean dip- several others very garlicy and lemony. some spicy'! Lovely salads.Great felafel. Lots more. I also liked the simple and pleasant atmosphere right in the heart of the French Quarter with music everywhere.

Very good! - Edit

I have only had Mona's delivery so far, but it is wonderful to actually be able to order vegan food! It was absolutely delicious, not too expensive, and speedy delivery :)

Pros: Vegan options, Delivery, Good pricing

Nice place - Edit

We ate at Mona's a few times while in NOLA last year as it was close to our B&B and we spent most of our evenings on Frenchmen St anyways. It's typical Mediterranean food, but it was good. We ordered lots of food and took leftovers back to the B&B. They have a little store area too and there was plenty of tables.

Pros: tasty Mediterranean food, plenty of space

Nice find - Edit

It is a REAL challenge to find veggie options in this town. Mona's provided our group with lunch on 2 occasions in 5 days. The Greek salad, hummus, falafel, and veggie skewers were all great. The guava juice was amazing. The veggie dolmas were disappointing and oily. The place is a little grimy, but the tables and dishware were all clean and the service was pretty good.

Pros: options, price

Cons: shabby

french fries and hummus - Edit

Mona's is good, but it's not the best Lebanese food in town. My boyfriend and I go here when I want to have a cheap, light dinner, but still want to cheat a little. I absolutely love that you can order french fries and hummus together (who knew it would be so delicious!?). I usually order my hummus/fries combo along with a large Greek/Mediterranean salad. The boyfriend gets the falafel sandwich.

Quick, Cheap, Good.

Pros: quick, cheap, good

Quick, cheap, friendly & tasty - Edit

We visited Mona's three times during our recent visit to New Orleans and it certainly didn't dissappoint. It's worth the walk from Bourbon Street, and despite being on the edge of a (we're told) non-tourist-friendly area (Fauburg Marigny), it's on a well-lit street just off Esplanade Avenue - we certainly didn't feel threatened by the neighbourhood. The service is fast and friendly, the prices inexpensive and the menu extensive. The food itself was wonderful - the houmus, falafel, stuffed vine leaves, veggie kebabs were all tasty and well prepared. After reading the previous review before our visit, I asked the waitress and she assured us that all the veggie food was cooked seperately to any meat, but you would probably be wise to double-check. The Turkish coffee was wonderfully strong, and after you're meal you can wander round the health-food store section and stock up on veggie and vegan holiday essentials.

Pros: Varied, tasty menu., Quick and inexpensive., Friendly and informal.

Mona's is wonderful - Edit

If you are vegan, be sure to ask them to LEAVE out the tzatziki (yogurt spread) when ordering the sandwiches. Also- the falafel is cooked in the same oil as the dead animal pieces.

serendipity - Edit

i caught mona's from the corner of my eye; thrilled to read that they served mediterranean cuisine (which usually means there's something veggie/interesting that i can eat), we magically found parking like two blocks away and ran to the place. it's a strangely casual cross between a very reasonably priced middle-eastern grocery, hookah shop, and restaurant.

i recall that they had a decent selection of entrees, but being pressed for time, we ordered a sampler that i think consisted of falafel, hummus, baba ganoush, cous cous, tabouli, and of course, pita. the only thing was that for what it was, the plate was a tad expensive (like $9.00 for some dip and 3 pieces of falafel! i think the rest of the food was more reasonably priced, tho)... but it was soooo good! even my carnivore bf was pleased.

we also shared a cup of their turkish coffee, and tho it was as thick & black as tar, it was good and... sobering? haha

ooh! and their lebanese tea with pine nuts is absolutely delectable. i've been dying for it since i returned home to tx.
(i can't wait to move to NOLA this fall! hehe)

it was a nice surprise to stop somewhere half from desperation, half out of curiosity and find that not only did it have stuff that i could eat/buy (sadly, veggie places are scarce in NOLA), but that i would gladly return to!

YaY, mona's!

Pros: fresh, delish food!, good selection!!, funky grocery!!!

Cons: slow-ish service, portions could be better, they seemed short-staffed

Lots of fun favorites - Edit

There are many vegetarian options in Mona's like the eggplant sandwich, falfel sandwich, hummus, musabaha, tahni sauce, tabouli, vegetable platter, rice, salad and obviously the desserts. If you ask for no feta on the eggplant sandwich, all of this is vegan too

Pros: cheap, fast, casual

Cons: not always awesome, not very creative

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mona's Cafe and Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2556 times since Aug 2007.