Momo

Contact 609685775

49 Dietla, Kazimierz (at Bozego Ciala), Krakow, Poland, 31-054

Mostly vegan, no egg. On the menu are Tibetan momos, South Indian masala dosa, vegan 3-grains pancakes, vegan desserts. Kazimierz is a cultural quarter near old town. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Indian, Organic, Take-out, Tibetan

First Review by Stevie

A whole load of nothing... - Edit

The menu didn't offer anything interesting for vegans. My boyfriend and I decided to order the pancakes, at 12zł each (~£3) we received 2 tiny bland pancakes, after waiting about 20 minutes we received one plate, and had to remind the staff we had ordered 2, waiting an extra 10 minutes for the second.

The place seemed very busy, with lots of customers coming in during our long waiting time. Honestly, we can't figure out why this place is so popular, maybe we just had a bad experience.

Pros: Easy to find, Seems popular

Cons: Long waiting time

Neutral - Edit

It's not a bad place but the menu is a bit boring (especially for vegans) and the portions are kind of small and expensive. I know it's Cracow, but I guess they are a bit exaggerated. All in all, the food is tasty and they also offer some vegan cakes which are fine.

Pros: vegan cakes

Cons: expensive, not enough place

it was ok - Edit

This place seems to be doing great and is a landmark in Wroclaw. I personally felt the food was a bit simple, bland, and just boring. Options seemed healthy though. I did enjoy the carrot cake.

Pros: healthy, traditional Polish foods

Cons: bland

Good casual eatery - Edit

I ate here few times and always everything is fresh and tasty. Not very cozy place, animals are welcome and usually there is plenty of people with the dogs running between the tables.

Good, but not the momost exciting place in Kraków. - Edit

I came here on a Saturday night with my girlfriend. It was an hour before close but unfortunately they were sold out of quite a few items.

We went for the momos, two salads and a bean pancake to share, as well as a masala chai (Indian tea).

Everything tasted good. In particular, the momos dipped in their spicy peanut sauce and the accompanying chutney were lovely. However, we both thought the portions were fairly small.

The chai was okay, but out of balance; the flavours were too strong.

Overall, the food is good here but it's certainly not the most exciting place to eat in Kraków.

Pros: Good Momos, Peanut sauce

Cons: Sold out of many items, Portions seemed fairly small, Disappointing chai

Non-vegan approved - Edit

It has a cafeteria feel, but the food was delicious! We had some delicious vegan momos (Tibetan dumplings) and Indian food. We even took our non-vegan Polish cousin here, and she loved it!

Pros: Great tasting Indian food

Cons: No ambiance

My Favourite - Edit

The food here will not disappoint...they have so many vegan options for traditional Indian and Tibetan dishes, it's really cool. I love the salad bar as well...it's full of all sorts of delicious vegan food. And the vegan hot chocolate with dates tops everything off perfectly...just be sure to go around afternoon time, because it gets pretty crowded around dinner time and they usually only have one person working in the front...so rush hour is definitely slow!
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 26, 2015

Nice place with lots of vegan options - Edit

I enjoyed eating at this place. Lots of clearly-labelled vegan (and gluten-free) options. Excellent range of salads. Menu includes a lot of South Indian dishes, including masala dosa and several different thalis. A place of momos cost 16.50 zlotys.

Staff are friendly and speak English. The blackboard menu is also in English.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, Friendly staff, Varied menu

Cons: Quite basic

many tasty options - Edit

There were many options to choose on the big panel and additionally a lot of salads. The food was very tasty and also the oriental coffee. There was a good looking vegan cake too, but we were too full to try it. We were there at lunch time and it was well attended so we were lucky to find a table.

Pros: very tasty , many vegan options , inexpensive

Cons: no outside seating

Pretty good - Edit

Serves good food from a fair variety. The staff is kind and friendly. English speaking staff and menu. I really enjoyed the masala dosa. I wish they had more options on the menu. Unfortunately they run out of many dishes towards the evening, and they are also not open until very late. I came a couple times though and enjoyed. Inexpensive.

Pros: well prepared, friendly

Cons: not many main dishes, runs out of many things towards evening

Pancakes and Dosa - Edit

We visited Momo September 2014 and were greeted by appealing aromas but quite plain décor. The food was really tasty and the team friendly but this is definitely an informal café style place rather than a fine dining experience.
We would go again if / when in Krakow next.

Pros: Tasty Food, Good Selection

Cons: Toilet not great!, Basic cafe style

Our Krakow favourit - Edit

We have visited this restaurant twice and tried soups, salads and also two specialties. We really enjoyed all of the food served. Daily offer is a pretty good food for a good price.
Most of the food is vegan (visibly signed).

Pros: Meal taste, Prices, Personal

Cons: Cash only

my personal number 1 in krakow - Edit

ive been visiting krakow just for a week and trying to visit all the vegan spots. momo was the very first and so far the best (been already to 4 other places). nice busy tasty and fast! great choice (especially GF!) cheap and freidnly. i had rice with curry and was offered to have also some spinach. also had a fresh carrot juice. all in all great - a place to go back. they also offer a small 1/2 portion - cheap and perfect if you want a variety of food (soup main course dessert - my plan for the next time!)

Pros: tasty food , good value, friendly staff

Mixed feelings - Edit

When I was living in the district of Kazimierz two years ago, I popped in there once or twice and I have quite ambiguous feelings about this place.

It's spacious (not crammed like most vegetarian bars in Poland), the interior is likeable, all in all a nice place to hang around. Unfortunately, the food doesn't match up. The ideas behind some of the dishes are sophisticated, but they're not as delicious as they sound. Serving sizes are also quite small - you'll get twice as much food (and better food) for less money in other places like this.

Pros: good location, nice interior

Cons: a bit overpriced, mediocre food

Wonderful Vegan/Vegetarian in Kazimierz - Edit

If u r in Kazimierz district of Kreakow - go 4 it. Their Tibetan dumplings have an amazing taste. We really enjoyed this Restaurant. Kazimierz is full of restaurants 4 carnivores - not our peace of cake. This one is an Oasis 4 Vegans - Vegetarians
In proximity to Kazimierz center

Pros: Uniqueness, Great Taste, In proximity to Kazimierz center

Cons: Takes a while to get some of the dished

Bland food, canned beans - Edit

Several reviewers already mentioned bland tasting food and the reason is very simple, food is not really fresh.

Large white beans in a salad looked like they came out of a can. I asked a girl serving food and she assured me that it was freshly cooked. I took the salad and the beans tasted lifeless and bland, definitely out of a can. I asked the girl again if she is sure it was not out of a can. And she again told me they are freshly cooked.

I also took dosas and potato filling was bland, apparently potatoes were cooked in the morning, several hours before being served.

Unfortunately, bland food like this is served in every vegetarian restaurant I visited in Krakow. The only difference that some other restaurants admit using canned beans and Momo claims on its Web site that they do not use canned food, still uses it and personnel misinforms clients on this point.

I am no longer astonished that people write glamorous reviews for such restaurants, with European bad attitude to food, they probably never tried anything better and sincerely think that this is how food should taste.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Canned beans, Potatoes cooked hours before served

Momo Momentous - Edit

Momo is one of the best vegetarian restaurants I have ever been to- We went there 4 times in 2 days, and were upset we couldn't squeeze in another trip before our train (we even went and got a takeaway lunch from them before a daytrip, knowing that we wouldn't be able to find anything we could eat (gluten-free vegos) there!). Everything is marked as gluten-free or vegan (which was so helpful- we're both Celiacs and were having a hard time around Eastern Europe with this!).
The staff are friendly, the food is all fresh, and there is a lot of choice from their cabinet (you can see all the salads and cold dishes out to choose from).
We had the Thali, one day with brown rice and the other with buckwheat, both days with 3 really well done hot dishes (black beans, daal, a roasted vegie mix, a spinach curry ...), and also had the masala dosa- everything was always amazing. The menu changes daily. The Thali was 17, Masala Dosa was 17, or you can get a small plate for 12 with 4 choices of the hot and cold dishes, or 17 for 6 dishes.
Also, they have a mean cup of chai, and always are playing cool music. Winning.

Pros: Delicious, Atmosphere, Inexpensive

Cons: That there isn't a Momo in my city

Good choice - Edit

The staff is very friendly, is fluent and English and they offer a lot of vegan dishes (English menu is offered). Inexpensive, but some dishes can be quite small for the price. But still a good choice.

Pros: fresh and organic, almost vegan

Cons: dishes can be small, no free wifi

Always a good choice - Edit

You can't do anything wrong by going to Momo. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, economy-priced and very reasonable food, without a doubt. Also you have a lot of posters and flyers which links to vegetarian stuff, you might be interested in.

Nice Place, Great Food, Not so great Service - Edit

I was really immpressed by the amount of choices for vegan food. It was delicious and had soy milk so I could order coffee. The woman behind the counter was rude. She acted like I was stupid and she was so busy when she wasnt. Didnt like the attitude but the food was worth it.

Pros: Great food, Good selection

Cons: Rude service

A bit sombre - Edit

We went to Momo for lunch last week, the food was quite tasty but slightly unexciting, I had the masala dosa which was quite nice, my friend had the Tibetan dumplings which tasted to me bland, but to her nice.
The lassis were lovely and spicy. Friendly staff but it all took itself a little too seriously and no one seemed to be having fun.

Pros: Clean, excellent prices-ask for English menu , quite imaginative

Cons: a bit sombre

Beautiful Vegan Food in Krakow - Edit

Delicious food- really really delicious and great choice. The only place in Krakow that has a proper vegan menu- rather than asking the people at other vegetarian restaurants what IS vegan or what CAN be veganised.
Very friendly staff and exceptionally cheap compared to ie-UK, US or AUS vegan restaurant prices.
Go there every day!!!!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Amazing value

tons of vegan options - Edit

I was pleased to read that every main course offered was vegan. I ordered the thali and it was good, filling. The highlight of my meal, however, was the chocolate carrot cake. It was moist and chocolatey and everything you'd want from a vegan cake! I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: chocolate carrot cake, inexpensive

Good Vegan Option - Edit

During the 5 days I was in Krakow, I ate something at Momo nearly every day, as I'm close to vegan.

The soup (an Indian soup) was very good. The salads tended to be heavy on the cabbage and beets, but were very tasty. There were no salads with lettuce, romaine, or other green leafy vegetables, as I'm used to.

I also ordered the Thali, which I found to be very good. Many peopled ordered the Indian pancakes, which looked delicious, but I didn't order them as I'm not particularly fond of pancakes. From what I observed, Momo's is frequented by locals - probably more than by tourists - which I'd say is a good sign. Momo's has an English menu which I found helpful. Their staff/service tended to be erratic. Twice I waited nearly 5 minutes for a staff person to appear from behind the kitchen curtain to serve me.

Overall, I'd say Momo's is a good choice for vegans. The food is organic and hearty and their vegan deserts are magnificent.

Pros: Hearty organic food, reasonably priced, great vegan deserts

Cons: Lack of variety on menu (heavily Indian), Salads were heavy on cabbage and beets, Occasionally slow service

Great place - Edit

Momo was the first vegetarian restaurant I`ve ever been to. Serves grest food.

Pros: nice stuff, fresh food

... - Edit

the staff is incredibly friendly, and the food has always been good. i've spent over a week in krakow, on two different occasions, and this is my favorite place to eat. i feel like they have more vegan options than any other restaurant in town.

Pros: friendly staff, tasty food, good location

Cons: not all vegan

Almost very good - Edit

Was nice, had an English menu, the girl spoke good English and most things were vegan but my meal came out a bit cold, if it was hot it would have been delicious.

Pros: English menu, English spoken, Mostly vegan

Cons: Food was just warm

Average - Edit

I agree with the previous reviews that the momos were pleasant, the staff was very helpful and friendly, and its certainly nice to have a mainly vegan restaurant in meaty-Krakow but saying that the food is excellent is a bit of an overstatement. I had the thali (which was nothing like an Indian thali). It was warm, filling and healthy but it was also very bland. It's worth eating at but could use a bit more spice/flavor.

Pros: lots of vegan options, large portions, affordable

Cons: kind of bland, out of many of the menu items

Veg-friendly Kraków - Edit

I found Krakow to be surprisingly veg-friendly and Momo certainly contributed to this. Recommended by the Lonely Planet guide and with a menu fully translated into English, it was easy to make up our minds and get ready to enjoy a vegan lunch. Apart from the dumplings, which were not what we expected, everything else was tasty and filling. Pay a visit to Momo if you're in Krakow, it's worth it.

best in krackow - Edit

excellent food especially the momo, clearly marked vegan, english speaking, amazingly cheap, vegan cake, quick service what more could you want. Defintely the best place in Krakow for vegans, healthy but tasty

Pros: delicious food, cheap, easy to find

Go go Momo - Edit

Superb place in Krakow with tremendous vegan choice. They do a vegan Indian Thali with mango lassi, vegan pancakes with various toppings (go for the hazelnut). Set in the amazing area of Kazimierz, one of my favourite places in the world. The staff are friendly, there is no shortage of food and the value is spot on.

Pros: food, location

Totally worth the walk - Edit

A bit south of the city center, Momo is well worth the effort, especially for vegans, as almost all of the food is vegan and they even have vegan desserts. The place in Krakow to get nalesniki, a pancake-like Polish dish. The staff also speak English.

Pros: excellent food, good value, smoke-free

Momo is da bomb - Edit

Momo is a casual restaurant with amazing food. I thought the Tibetan "momo" dumplings were fantastic. They are a bit spicy with the sauce and might not be to everyone's taste but my order was freshly made and like nothing I have had before. My wife had the 3 bean pancake stuffed with beets and raisins, offered with two different sauces. mild and tasty.

As mentioned, the Ginger lemonade was quite refshing. Service was friendly and helpful, they offer an English menu, but watch out, the place is popular and can get packed at a moments notice.

Pros: Great food, Good service, Unique dishes

Good food - Edit

Really good food, we had the dosa, and a thali. The foods all pre made so is pretty quick, although I got my food about 10 minutes before my boyfreind as there was only one person serving and she had to take orders...

Pros: Good food, cheap, good portions

what is that taste? - Edit

I was excited to go here after being in ukraine and belarus.

I hear that lunch is very busy here, so we came around 2:30. At this time there was no pancakes. But thats okay.

We had the dumplings and a south indian pancake with a bean salad and mint lemonade.

Mint lemonade was great, very tasty and bean salad was nothing special but still quite good.

South indian pancake was interesting, it came with a dahl type soup and a brown sauce. Brown sauce was not something i liked but my boyfriend loved it. It was a nice dish.

Momo, the dumplings were not was i expected... and they seemed not so fresh.. or something. spicy lentil filling.. I was impressed. But i think other dishes are probably nicer. Good selection. I think that momo is not a great dish but the salads looked interesting and other dishes also seemed nice.

I would go back and see what else they had to offer.

Pros: many options, good price, nice people

Cons: momo are not good, no pancakes

Delicious - Edit

I thought this place was excellent! We got tons and tons of food for not so much money. We tried everything from the dosas (my favorite) to the dumplings. It was a wonderful feast.

Pros: authentic dosa, great selection, great value

Cons: awkward service

Momo - Edit

I'm a bit suprised about the negative comments here. I went here twice: the first time I took Masala Dosa, a Southindian pancake stuffed with herbed potatoes, served with sambar soup and spicy peanut sauce. Very good! 8/10.
I drunk a banana Lassi.
The second time I took their soup of the day, a lence soup, and I had rice with spinach. 7.5/10.

Pros: Cheap

Disappointing. - Edit

My boyfriend and I were excited to go to this place after reading all the good reviews here. But when we got there the place was empty. Four of the six dishes we wanted to order were unavailable, yet nothing was mentioned in the menu nor on the board. Their prime dish (and most expensive one), the Momo Tibetan dumplings, was tiny, and left much to be desired. When we politely asked the waitress to change two 5 coins for a 10 bill she gave us a rude "no" and walked away.

Pros: Tasty food (sometimes)

Cons: Bad service, Small portions

Momo, Krakow - Edit

I'm told momo is something of an iconic institution among Krakow vegetarians. I'm also led to believe it has won awards. I've eaten there a few times now. An enormous amount of choice for vegans. A fair chunk of the main courses are based on dishes served with vegan pancakes. Personally though I prefer the daal samber as the best dish. Nice relaxed atmo, very pleasant staff, bargain prices like all the veg*n places in Krakow seem to be. They take the ingredients to their food very seriously; very pro vegan, very pro organic. Just a few minutes walk outside the old town on the way to the increasingly popular cultural quarter of Kazimierz.

Pros: Bags of vegan choice, Organic, Nice staff and atmo

Return to Krakow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Momo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8835 times since Aug 2007.