Mod's Cafe at the Thirsty Scholar

• Vegetarian
Contact 0161-236-6071

50 New Wakefield Street (at Oxford Rd), Manchester, England, M1 5NP

Vegetarian and vegan pub grub. They also have a selection of organic ciders and beers and vegan wine. Classic British pub grub and world food from ciabatta toasties to Jamaican curry and Tex Mex. Previously located at the Seven Oaks. Mod is at the Lass O' Gowrie, Charles Street, Manchester, M1 for meat free Monday until 8pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Jamaican

First Review by Kevster

A manchester legend! - Edit

Mod the DJ and resident chef at the thirsty scholar takes pride in his cooking. Always makes generous portions so everyone is very satisfied after one of his meals.

The majority of his food is actually vegan. the only vegetarian thing he offers is a fried egg option on a full english breakfast! which are massive!

As a regular visitor I know that he will make adjustments to meals on request such as smaller portion or less spice if you ask at time of ordering.

He also offers a 'meat-free monday special' of rice and three for £5, or everything for £8, this is held from 4pm to 7pm most mondays except for bank holidays.

Pros: generous portions, variety, not too busy

Cons: can be noisy due to pub location, dull lighting - pub

Good Food in a Good Pub - Edit

Only been the burger menu when I've been there but there's a good few options on there. I strongly suspect the burger I had was one of those packet mixes but it was still good. Nothing fancy but typical pub food done vegan, what's not to like?

Given the huge portion sizes I think it actually works out pretty cheap. The biggest size burger, chips, onion ring meal should really be considered two meals.

Mod is a nice guy and the bar staff are all friendly, the pub generally has a good feel to it.

Great Sunday pick me up! - Edit

Hi there the text says lass ogowrie, but this has shut - but it's at the thirsty scholar where we went and had great vegan burger and chips there was a good choice of burger, also do big all day brekkie stuff and a chillie and a noodle option. great for beer too - felt like a student again. great friendly staff too.

Pros: can have beer too, friendly staff, good portions

Cons: not good if you don't like pubs

Huge portions, small prices, friendly chef! - Edit

The chef at this veggie pub is also a DJ and is a totally friendly and cool guy! The portions were huge and the food tasty. Prices were great too. I will definitely return when I am in Manchester again!

Gutted - No Chef! - Edit

I was really looking forward to visiting the Thirsty Scholar having read the earlier reviews. It wasn't to be as on my visit (25.01.13) the chef hadn't turned in to work - to be fair the roads were terrible because of snow. Great pub though, I won't be put off by this next time I'm in Manchester (probably about 5 years time) I'll definately go back. 4 cows for the vibe, friendlyness and good selection of beers and ciders....

Pub grub for Vegans, what more do you want?! - Edit

Excellent, just about sums this place up. Food is delicious, plentiful, cheap, funky bar atmosphere - looking forward to our next visit already!

Bullseye - Edit

Super, Smashing Brilliant. Loving the informal, welcoming and cool atmosphere about this place. Primarily a live music and DJ event venue this place serves spot on pub grub every afternoon until about 5pm (burgers, chilli non carne, curries, breakfasts and fry ups). The chef is a top man, proper good Manc crack and knocks up a good feed. Prices are very sweet and there is an excellent range of top ales and European beers to wash it all down with. Don't expect gourmet food but just a great typical UK pub food experience.

Pros: beer, pub grub, banter

Cons: no food late on

Mod's Cafe, Manchester - Edit

I rocked into this place yesterday for a bit of brunch. The girl who served me behind the bar was very helpful and when I asked what was vegan vego, I was told everything on the menu could be made vegan friendly with the exception of a couple of dishes. I plumped for the cooked breakfast and the soup of the day to kill of my rabid hunger pangs.

Prices were very reasonable and the vibe of the joint absolutely fine. I'll be eating there again when I am in Manchester.

Update:-

Due to structural engineering on the rail bridge above The Thirsty Scholar is completed sufficiently to allow The Thirsty Scholar to reopen. Mod's cafe has moved back thee from the Seven Oaks pub.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Great value, Central location

Very disappointing - Edit

We visited the Thirsty Scholar on the evening of 13 Feb 2012 for a drink. For a pub whose website highlights the availability of vegetarian/vegan food and drinks it was very disappointing. We asked the girl behind the bar which beers were vegan and she had to go and ask the manager. She came back with a list of lagers that were on tap so we had to ask her to go and find out about the real ales. She went to speak to the manager again - he did come out and tell us that usually they had veggie/vegan real ales but they didn't have their usual brand on at that time. He did go to check the brands they did have and eventually confirmed that one of their real ales was veggie. We had also asked about vegan wine but never got an answer and by the time we'd sorted out the beers we couldn't face asking again. It was a shame as we actually thought it was quite a nice pub but the lack of knowledge shown by the staff was very poor. I don't know if they still do food or not - the website says they serve until 6:30pm but we didn't see any menus out even though we arrived before then.

Thirsty and hungry.. vegan bonus! - Edit

I really enjoyed my visit to this establishment. If only there were more vegan and vegetarian pubs.

Drinks wise there is a good selection of soft drinks and real ales, cider and other alcoholic options.

The staff are really friendly and chatty, the menu is very large for a pub type menu. It is great to look at the menu and have so much choice. Everything can be "veganised" on request, and vegan cheese is available. Delicious whole hearted food, for hungry people.

Pros: good range of soft and alcoholic drinks, vegan options and veganising available, big menu

Cons: can be noisy (expect this, it's a pub!)

Excellent Service, just what we were looking for! - Edit

After a trip to nearby Bolton, my family were in need of some good value nourishment. Happy cow mobile came into force and suggested Mod's. Excellent pub, got a pint, ordered 3 burgers and went upstairs. Mod appeared rather promptly with 3 burgers and good helpings of wedges as ordered. Mod even took the time to talk to us and included my 4yr old daughter in conversation, which always deserves thumbs up for! (he's actually a very nice guy) - I look forward to eating there again! Burgers were tasty, simple and filled us up, exactly what we wanted :)

Pros: Good Value, Good Portions, Friendly Service

Good food, decent atmosphere and friendly service. - Edit

Visited The Thirsty Scholar after a delayed trip over from Leeds, so by the time we arrived we were very hungry. After looking at the menu, which had a good variety of dishes and snacks, it was immediately clear i needed the double breakfast. The guy who was preparing the food was very helpful, most of the dishes are vegan or could be made vegan easily. The double breakfast consisted of hash browns, toast, beans, mushrooms, two rashers, four (!) sausages, tomatoes and chips as well. Very filling and very good value at £6 something. I also had a coffee with the brekky too. Sarah went for the Jalfrezi with rice and naan. This was a good dish, which was, as it said HOT! She washed this down with a pint of Heineken, which was one amongst a good variety of beers available.

There were also a few very nice cupcakes for afters, which could just about be managed. After this we departed for the excellent Marble Arch pub, where we indulged in the excellent vegetarian/organic beers they sell.

There is going to be a new standard menu from September available from the Thirsty Scholar, and events with food are also in the pipeline. The friendly and helpful people will tell you more.

Pros: good food, good service, central location

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mod's Cafe at the Thirsty Scholar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8509 times since May 2010.