Modern Times Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 612-886-3882

3200 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 55407

Serves meat, vegan options available. Breakfast, brunch, and lunch food place since 2011. Many dishes have a vegetarian or vegan option. Breakfast is served until 1pm on the weekends and lunch 12-4pm. Try the vegan pancakes.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by Avocado loving vegan

vegan French toast????!?!?!? - Edit

Had and shared a savory hash brown scramble with tofu and tvp chorizo with a side of tortillas and a sourdough French toast for $20. All vegan as is! Was good and service was great. Had beautiful outdoor seating with umbrellas and dogs welcome. Sup!

Pros: dog friendly

decent cafe - Edit

I finally made it to modern times yesterday. I heard there could be a long wait on the morning weekends, so I went in the afternoon. Staff was friendly and the menu had vegan and veg items clearly labeled. V=vegan, and veg=vegetarian.

I had the vegan veggie bowl. It is brown rice, garlic kale, broccoli, green onions, and shredded cabbage covered in a generous amount of tahini sauce. The veggies were cooked well. The kale could have been cut into smaller pieces. I also enjoyed a soy chai.

I enjoyed my food. I will probably be back if I am in the area. For my money, I prefer Hard Times Cafe.

Cool Find! - Edit

This place has a cool vibe to it. The staff are really friendly and the food is tasty. The meals typically run about $8 and you get a pretty good sized portion.

Pros: Friendly staff, Lots of vegan options , Clearly marked vegan options

Sooo Yummy! - Edit

My dad (he eats anything, like not vegan or vegetarian) and I ate here on a trip to the Twin Cities and loved it! I got vegan blueberry pancakes and they were delicious. I don't know what he got, but he really liked it! I'd recommend this place and would definitely go back next time I'm in the area!

Pros: clear labels, food for everybody

Vegans welcome here and welcome being here! - Edit

Even though it's not all vegan and uses markings like "c" for carnivore (c should be for COOKIE)…. they also make every effort very kindly and graciously to separately mark V and Veg. V = vegan and Veg = vegetarian. AWESOME. So, even though I'd rather everything be V, your fellow non vegans will feel happy here, and you can kindly encourage them to at least opt for the Veg choices, of which there are many.

The lattes here are delicious - cute little classic coffee cups make me happy, and with almond milk, delicious. Unsweetened almond milk, yes please, delightful, rich, bold, wake-me up awesomeness.

The food is so good - it's the classic breakfast/ brunch Americana style with a little bit of California/ Southwestern flair with some of their choices. You cannot go wrong. They have pancakes, oatmeal, tofu scrambles, migas, polenta, beans, veggies, seitan, Veganaise, and other random sides like beets.

Although I would've wanted more veggies and dessert, the pancakes are dessert in and of themselves if you order and eat it/ them after a savory dish.

I wasn't expecting this place to be that good. As you walk to the venue, it is painted bright green and has just a couple tables outside. There is a bar area, and then there are about 1 ½ dozen tables, or so it seems by rough estimate. It's super casual. The staff are all as hip as you, if you are a hipster. They are nice and helpful, and the food is hot and delicious.

Because the food took me by surprise, I am going to go with 4 cows, rather than 3 for not having a few more items for me to order. 4 cows for vegan breakfast choices!!!! Yum!!!

Pros: V = vegan, Vegan pancakes, Vegan migas & polenta

Cons: Need vegan dessert, C = carnivore

SOOOOOO goood - Edit

I freaking love this place. Their migas are to die for (vegan and gluten free), and they have selections for both those who want healthy foods, and those who want their meal covered in grease. It has great atmosphere and ambiance, I was there for breakfast one weekend and they had a dj spinning at like 11 am!!! Great rotating art too. It can be a bit of a wait because it's such an awesome place and kinda small, but well worth it.

Pros: excellent food, amazing vibe, good value

Cons: long wait

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Modern Times Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2763 times since Jul 2011.