Modern Love

402-614-6481

1319 S 50th St, Omaha, Nebraska, USA, 68106

Open Aug 2014. Cuisine is billed as "swanky vegan comfort food." This restaurant is founded by the established vegan chef and author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Open Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 4:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Bakery

First Review by Dan Burnstein

Omaha's #1 Vegan Restaurant - Edit

I have been to Modern Love a few times spanning each season and the menu never disappoints. The quality of ingredients and outcome of each meal is very high and most plates are pretty large. The menu is a little expensive (above $10) but I've never regretted coming here.

Pros: Delicious food, Small, intimate atmosphere , Great for vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores

Cons: Limited options for people with nut allergies

A must try! - Edit

Omg this place. It is so good and the ambiance is adorable. I just wish I didn't have to drive 2 hours just to eat it! Nothing I've tried there has disappointed me and the desserts are amazing. Just try it! You'll love it.

Pros: Cute decor, Amazing variety, Delicious everything

Cons: Nothing!

I'm in love! - Edit

Just visited this chic & hip spot in Williamsburg. The food and service were excellent. The menu is a nice mix of casual and sophisticated fare.

Pros: Upscale, Superior service

Cons: Loudish music

Comfort, Elegance & Magic - Edit

We had such an amazing meal! Between us we had the Brussel Sprouts with Shiitake Bacon, The Modern Cheeseburger with Fatty Fries and Miso Ketchup, the Wild Mushroom Piccata, the Fat Elvis Pie, and the Warm Cherry Cobbler. We couldn't have been happier. I mean it when I say, this was some of the very best food we have ever had. I believe their vegan burger is the absolute best in the world, and I can't think of anything more delicious than those brussel sprouts of theirs. The chefs and servers here are casually elegant, as they work their magic, in a pretty tight space. If we lived nearby, I would try everything on the menu.

Pros: Fun, delicious, comforting, thoughtful, magic

Cons: Reservations are likely necessary; dinner only

You must try Modern Love - Edit

If you are looking for the best vegan food ever, a stop in Omaha is a must!

We stopped here on a road trip, had made a reservation but forgot about the time zone difference. We called Modern Love on the way and they reworked our reservation and got us in.

The food was incredible, everything we had was fantastic! You must save room for dessert. Been to a lot of vegan restaurants and this is hands down my favorite. I wish it were closer!

As a great bonus I got to meet Isa, she was super nice and helped me find a t-shirt in my size, and she signed a postcard for my friend's upcoming birthday.

Pros: Friendly staff, AMAZING food, Isa Chandra!

Cons: Wish it were closer

A must in Omaha - Edit

Definitely vegan destination dining! On the pricier side for a not-so-expensive city, but definitely worth a visit. Although now you can also visit newer Modern Love Brooklyn as well.

Make a reservation. They're only open for dinner. We found updated holiday hours for Christmas Eve of their facebook page.

They have a parking lot, so there's plenty of parking.

So happy to find this in Omaha! - Edit

Visiting town and came here for Sunday brunch with our not-vegan in-town relatives. Everyone loved their meals. The Scrambled Ranchero was terrific, and one of our non-vegans commented that a real egg scrambled to that consistency would have also been dry, but tofu is not dry and he loved it. We will absolutely come here again!

Oh my! - Edit

Very nice interior. The wait staff take excellent care of you. I wanted everything on the menu but settled for amazing buffalo seitan and asperagus salad. I tasted the spinach pie and wow!
Save room for dessert....oh my!

Pros: helpful staff

Cons: a little expensive but very worth it

Amazing - Edit

I have long been waiting for the chance to try Modern Love, as I am a long-time fan of its founder, Isa Moskawitz. I was not disappointed.
Even thought it was just me (I was on a business trip) I made a reservation for 1 on a Tuesday night, and am glad I did as the place was packed. I had mentioned in my reservation that I was a fan of Isa's, and she actually came and met me while I was waiting, which was so nice; it really made my night.
As for the food/drinks, everything was great. The have a drink menu with beer/wine/cocktails...I tried the pineapple ginger wine spritzer, which I thought was very tasty . Their new mid-winter menu includes seitan chops, fresh applesauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts. That's what I tried and it was fantastic. The menu is not huge, but I think that everything on it would be very good. For dessert, I passed over some delicious sounding pies and cheesecakes, but couldn't pass up the Modern Sundae, even though it was freezing outsize. It had salted caramel, chocolate, candied nuts, a toasted marshmallow, and a cherry. Amazing.
I really enjoyed my experience at Modern Love, and will surely go any time I happen to make it to Omaha. It is expensive. Although it was well worth it to me, if I was local I probably could not go all the time.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 29, 2016

Pros: Great food, Excellent Service

Cons: Busy (make a reservation!), Expensive

Seriously, in Nebraska?! - Edit

Wow, what a find! I'm traveling on business from Atlanta and didn't expect to find much in the way of vegan cuisine here. Modern Love is excellent. Seating is limited so call ahead. No bar to wait at either but food in great!

Pros: food, food, food

Cons: small, no bar

out of our way for vegan food. - Edit

We went out of our way on our road trip for 2 reasons, this was one of them. I had been looking at the menu every day on our trip thinking about what I was going to order. We sit down and the menu had changed that day. The item I had been dreaming of was gone, but the cheese burger was just as satisfying, my wife even exclaimed "this is the best burger I have ever had!" The Kale Caesar was also wonderful. The coconut creme pie to finish the meal was fantastic. Now just to find another reason to go out of our way to Omaha again.

Pros: all vegan, delicious

Cons: 1000 miles away from me

AMAZING FOOD!! - Edit

Her food is SO delicious!!! I had to ask if what I was eating, truly was vegan because it was so full and creamy!! Ha! It of course, was vegan. There are gluten free items as well!

Pretty Good - Edit

We came here twice on our trip since vegan options are limited in Omaha.

Both nights they were out of a handful of items.
Food was pretty good. Some was more bland than others and some had spices (dill) that not were it mentioned on the menu (Greek salad) and I'm not a fan of dill.

Food was a bit over priced for the food served and ambiance. Would be better is it was quiet and had dimmed lighting and didn't cram tables together (place seats 18).

Cute and charming place.

Would definitely return.

Pros: 100% vegan, well known chef, serves local ingredients

Cons: out of items on already limited menu, seating is crammed, over priced

Best Vegan in America! - Edit

We've been traveling across America and back in search of epic vegan experiences. This is now the standard and Isa has set the bar with this Five Star epicurious experience! Thank God for vegan in Omaha.

We're heading back East. More to report but not sure if it gets better than this!

The Journey:
traveling across America dining & reporting on exceptional vegan!
Instagram @tweeyoga #thejourneyisthedestinationtour

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 26, 2015

Call First! - Edit

I can't review the food as I haven't eaten there yet. The Happy Cow app said it opened at noon so we drove 18 miles to eat there only to find it closed. A very nice gal told us it didn't open until 5pm. I logged in to the HC app and saw the hours now listed as 4pm open. Just call to verify correct hours before heading out. I hope I'll get to try it soon but doubt my meat eating family with me and live here will ever venture back...unfortunately.

An Oasis in Omaha - Edit

Really tasty comfort food. Excellent dessert options, friendly service, good prices

Best meal of my life - Edit

This was the best dinner of my life, hands down. What a treasure for Omaha! It was busy, but my service was prompt. The food was just...every bite was perfect. The portions are generous and the price is very fair for all that you are getting, as well as the quality. Amazing. I can't wait to come back!

Pros: Food quality, Service, Ambiance

Cons: NONE. This place is amazing.

Amazing place! - Edit

Being a native of Omaha but now a Florida resident, it is so wonderful to have such a vegan gem in the midst of steak country! Isa and her team have creating a wonderful dining experience with Modern Love. The restaurant is small but cozy, food was off the chain good and the service fast and friendly. Being the token vegan in my family has been a challenge but they joyfully came with me to dinner tonight and were blown away! Thank you for showing them how great plant based food can be. Can't wait to come back on my next visit home.

Return to Omaha Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Modern Love closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.