Modern Love

Contact 402-614-6481

1319 S 50th St, Omaha, Nebraska, USA, 68106

Open Aug 2014. Cuisine is billed as "swanky vegan comfort food." This restaurant is founded by the established vegan chef and author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Open Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 4:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Bakery

First Review by Dan Burnstein

A must in Omaha - Edit

Definitely vegan destination dining! On the pricier side for a not-so-expensive city, but definitely worth a visit. Although now you can also visit newer Modern Love Brooklyn as well.

Make a reservation. They're only open for dinner. We found updated holiday hours for Christmas Eve of their facebook page.

They have a parking lot, so there's plenty of parking.

So happy to find this in Omaha! - Edit

Visiting town and came here for Sunday brunch with our not-vegan in-town relatives. Everyone loved their meals. The Scrambled Ranchero was terrific, and one of our non-vegans commented that a real egg scrambled to that consistency would have also been dry, but tofu is not dry and he loved it. We will absolutely come here again!

Oh my! - Edit

Very nice interior. The wait staff take excellent care of you. I wanted everything on the menu but settled for amazing buffalo seitan and asperagus salad. I tasted the spinach pie and wow!
Save room for dessert....oh my!

Pros: helpful staff

Cons: a little expensive but very worth it

Amazing - Edit

I have long been waiting for the chance to try Modern Love, as I am a long-time fan of its founder, Isa Moskawitz. I was not disappointed.
Even thought it was just me (I was on a business trip) I made a reservation for 1 on a Tuesday night, and am glad I did as the place was packed. I had mentioned in my reservation that I was a fan of Isa's, and she actually came and met me while I was waiting, which was so nice; it really made my night.
As for the food/drinks, everything was great. The have a drink menu with beer/wine/cocktails...I tried the pineapple ginger wine spritzer, which I thought was very tasty . Their new mid-winter menu includes seitan chops, fresh applesauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts. That's what I tried and it was fantastic. The menu is not huge, but I think that everything on it would be very good. For dessert, I passed over some delicious sounding pies and cheesecakes, but couldn't pass up the Modern Sundae, even though it was freezing outsize. It had salted caramel, chocolate, candied nuts, a toasted marshmallow, and a cherry. Amazing.
I really enjoyed my experience at Modern Love, and will surely go any time I happen to make it to Omaha. It is expensive. Although it was well worth it to me, if I was local I probably could not go all the time.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 29, 2016

Pros: Great food, Excellent Service

Cons: Busy (make a reservation!), Expensive

Seriously, in Nebraska?! - Edit

Wow, what a find! I'm traveling on business from Atlanta and didn't expect to find much in the way of vegan cuisine here. Modern Love is excellent. Seating is limited so call ahead. No bar to wait at either but food in great!

Pros: food, food, food

Cons: small, no bar

out of our way for vegan food. - Edit

We went out of our way on our road trip for 2 reasons, this was one of them. I had been looking at the menu every day on our trip thinking about what I was going to order. We sit down and the menu had changed that day. The item I had been dreaming of was gone, but the cheese burger was just as satisfying, my wife even exclaimed "this is the best burger I have ever had!" The Kale Caesar was also wonderful. The coconut creme pie to finish the meal was fantastic. Now just to find another reason to go out of our way to Omaha again.

Pros: all vegan, delicious

Cons: 1000 miles away from me

Pretty Good - Edit

We came here twice on our trip since vegan options are limited in Omaha.

Both nights they were out of a handful of items.
Food was pretty good. Some was more bland than others and some had spices (dill) that not were it mentioned on the menu (Greek salad) and I'm not a fan of dill.

Food was a bit over priced for the food served and ambiance. Would be better is it was quiet and had dimmed lighting and didn't cram tables together (place seats 18).

Cute and charming place.

Would definitely return.

Pros: 100% vegan, well known chef, serves local ingredients

Cons: out of items on already limited menu, seating is crammed, over priced

Best Vegan in America! - Edit

We've been traveling across America and back in search of epic vegan experiences. This is now the standard and Isa has set the bar with this Five Star epicurious experience! Thank God for vegan in Omaha.

We're heading back East. More to report but not sure if it gets better than this!

The Journey:
traveling across America dining & reporting on exceptional vegan!
Instagram @tweeyoga #thejourneyisthedestinationtour

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 26, 2015

Call First! - Edit

I can't review the food as I haven't eaten there yet. The Happy Cow app said it opened at noon so we drove 18 miles to eat there only to find it closed. A very nice gal told us it didn't open until 5pm. I logged in to the HC app and saw the hours now listed as 4pm open. Just call to verify correct hours before heading out. I hope I'll get to try it soon but doubt my meat eating family with me and live here will ever venture back...unfortunately.

Best meal of my life - Edit

This was the best dinner of my life, hands down. What a treasure for Omaha! It was busy, but my service was prompt. The food was just...every bite was perfect. The portions are generous and the price is very fair for all that you are getting, as well as the quality. Amazing. I can't wait to come back!

Pros: Food quality, Service, Ambiance

Cons: NONE. This place is amazing.

Amazing place! - Edit

Being a native of Omaha but now a Florida resident, it is so wonderful to have such a vegan gem in the midst of steak country! Isa and her team have creating a wonderful dining experience with Modern Love. The restaurant is small but cozy, food was off the chain good and the service fast and friendly. Being the token vegan in my family has been a challenge but they joyfully came with me to dinner tonight and were blown away! Thank you for showing them how great plant based food can be. Can't wait to come back on my next visit home.

Isa Does It! And so does everyone else who works at the restaurant... - Edit

My husband and I had the pleasure of eating here tonight and I have to say, what incredible food! We really overindulged, but we couldn't help but try multiple things from the menu. I started with the soup of the day which was a smoky potato soup with fried leeks; it was well seasoned, creamy and had a great smoky taste that for some reason reminded me of Kansas City BBQ. My husband started with the peanut noodles and skewers; the seitan was fantastic and had a nice char on it. We are both newly vegan and thought it comparable to grilled beef tenderloin. The mac and shews and the cinnamon rolls and chili were outstanding, the pear cranberry pie with vanilla bean ice cream was great and the service was exceptional. I am really looking forward to going back!

Pros: fantastic creative dishes , great service

Cons: small restaurant so make a reservation

Great Vegan Place - Edit

I love the food here its amazing seriously it is but the most expensive entree is $18 while the least is $12.00 and I feel like if they were all $12 it wouldnt be so bad and two scoops of ice cream is $8.00 I mean I think that's a bit much? And the place is seriously small you are seated so close to the people beside you that you could find out their whole life story during the time you are eating. But like I said the food is simply amazing! You leave there full and feeling like the money you paid was worth it but I just wish the place was bigger. I will come back though.

Pros: Food tastes great!, People seem nice, Place seems clean

Cons: Very Expensive , Very tiny place

World class! - Edit

This place is up there with the top places in NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and LA. If it were in Chicago, it would easily be my favorite place. The menu is genius, the food is fresh, flavorful and everything is made in house. No Gardein, Daiya, Veganaise, etc. They even make their own ice cream, which is exceptional. Seating is limited, reservations are pretty much required, but service is fast and friendly. Isa waited on us herself!

Pros: great unique menu , very flavorful, reasonable prices

Amazing Cuisine. - Edit

Isa Chandra Moskowitz, famed vegan cookbook author and chef has opened a this gem of a restaurant! Great attention goes into every dish prepared so get ready for a culinary experience which will delight your tastebuds. During a Saturday night meal with friends, we experienced many dishes. They offered a chilled corn bisque soup which was light, sweet & delightful. The jalapeno corn fritters were served hot and crispy on top of a tomato jam and were a favorite at our table. The farmers hummus was creamy and garlicky and presented beautifully with tasteful locally grown produce. The quinoa Caesar salad was uniquely done and wonderful with a mix of avocado, tempeh croutons & smoky eggplant strips. The mac & shews is a dish consisting of a creamy and somewhat sweet mac n cheese along with a very crispy pecan crusted tofu and sautéed greens. The beet burger was moist and had a smoky flavor and was sandwiched between a homemade sesame seed bun and served with tarragon potato salad. Highly recommended. The polenta romesco was subtle in flavor and slightly crisp on the outside and accompanied by a very flavorful red pepper almond sauce. The seitan marsala is a hearty meal served with thin slices of perfectly prepared seitan on top of a root veg mash and served with well seasoned cooked greens. The vanilla bean peach pie reminded me of an old fashioned pie with thick crust and a soft "peachy" inside. It comes with a ginger vanilla ice cream as the perfect accompaniment. My favorite dessert, however, was a raspberry cheesecake which had the perfect mix of tart and sweetness. Congratulations Isa for creating this masterpiece of a restaurant. Your attention to detail in preparing every dish perfectly is evident and I only hope to get to dine there again soon.

Pros: Creative dishes., Friendly & attentive staff., Cozy atmosphere.

Return to Omaha Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Modern Love closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.