First Review by juliotnunes

longtime favorite - Edit

i've been going to mizuna since they opened back in late 90's, before i was even vegan actually...
the plates have always been excellent, & alison's carrot cake was one of those things that taught me how good vegan food can be, so glad she went on to open her own all vegan restaurant boots bakery & lounge...
even tho i don't live in spokane anymore, i still like to eat at mizuna every chance i get while visiting friends & relatives there...

Pros: great vegan options, alison's carrot cake

Cons: expensive, small servings, serves animal products

Nice place with good options - Edit

I ate here three times (two lunches and a dinner)during my five day work trip to Spokane. The lunches were better -- the vegan meatloaf sandwich was very good, albeit very messy! I ended up eating it with a fork lest it become part of my ensemble. The other lunch I had was their wrap (made with tofu instead of fish), which was also very good. At dinner, I had the risotto cakes, which sounded amazing, but sadly ended up being very bland and uninteresting. Still, the place was lovely and though the food takes a while (don't come if you are in a rush), the service is friendly. As far as I could tell, most places in Spokane use Small Planet tofu, which is a local brand I've never had. It was amazing. I'm a tofu fan, but never realized that tofu can actually have a wonderful flavor just sauteed, without all the usual manipulations (breaded, marinated, deep-fried, etc.). I'm sad I can't get it in the Bay Area!

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Good vegan options, Small planet tofu is amazing

Cons: Slow

Very Good - Edit

I wish this place was still all veg, but it's still a good option for a veg*n looking for a fancy meal downtown. Pricy, but the food backs that up. I'll be back.

Pros: Food quality, Service

Cons: Expensive

It would have 5 stars if allowed - Edit

My family ate here last week at the beginning of our vacation in the area. There is a completely separate vegetarian menu and most of the items are vegan. My youngest child ate off the regular children's menu and had the tofu fried rice. One of my children had the eggplant/mushroom meatballs and another the grilled jerk tofu. My husband had the thai tempeh curry and I had a lasagna. Everything was excellent.

We also had some salads and other appetizers I am failing to remember, along with a couple of very good glasses of wine.

While the restaurant was pricy, this was the beginning of our vacation prior to our descent into the vegetarian wasteland that is Idaho. So for us it was money well spent.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good selection of veg dishes

Cons: expensive, very busy

best restaurant in Spokane - Edit

The first time I went a few years ago, they only had a small selection of vegan food. I went recently, and their vegan menu has grown! The food is fantastic, and so is the atmosphere. It's a little pricy, but perfect for special occasions.

A Spokane treasure - Edit

What a great restaurant. Visting from Toronto, Canada, I stumbled upon Mizuna by pure chance. I'm so glad I did. Wonderful, wonderful, food, service, drinks and atmosphere. A thoughtful, creative, locally-sourced vegetarian menu (there's a separate menu for your omnivore friends), a super talented bartender (She made me the best Manhattan I've had in years.), friendly, attentive service, and a warm, casual funky atmosphere. An absolutely topnotch dining experience. I started with the grilled tofu salad (on spinach with shitake mushrooms, house pickled ginger, radish sprouts and miso dressing), then for my main had house made seitan with pumpkin quinoa risotto, sauteed chard and pesto. The portions are huge. I ordered a half salad and could have made a meal of that alone. Salad, main, cocktail, wine and espresso came to around $50 including tax and a good tip. If I ever come back to Spokane, I'll definitely dine here.

Very nice - Edit

I gained a new appreciation for tofu after having their grilled tofu with quinoa and chimichurri. All of my omni companions were also quite happy with their meals as well. Worth a visit for sure.

Pros: very veg friendly, excellent food

Cons: pricey

Mizuna is my favorite restaurant - Edit

Mizuna's used to be Spokane's only 100% vegetarian restaurant, (they found over the years that there wasn't enough support financially so they added a menu that has organic meat items) but the cool thing is they still have a veg menu, most of the staff is vegan, and very friendly. So when I go there I get the Vegetarian menu, if vegan just tell the waitstaff and they will make sure only vegan items will get to you. They have wine, beer, coffee drinks, and vegan desserts, they also make sure that the meat never cross contaminate's the veg dishes. It can be pricey, but the vegetarian menu is reasonable with the entrees averaging 11 dollars, I go there for soy mochas and organic carrot cake and it costs me ten dollars with tip. Easily Spokane's finest restaurant.

Pros: vegetarian menu and vegan friendly, vegan friendly, special holidy menus and live music

Cons: It's lost on this town, It's no longer 100% vegetarian

vaunderbroad 09 Aug 2008 - oh, I forgot to mention, they have outside seating for the warmer months.

Can't get enough! - Edit

In short, I love this place.

The menu offers more than enough vegan options (a rarity in Spokane!). In fact, most of the items can be veganized -- check it out yourself at www.mizuna.com.

The staff is always friendly & knowledgeable, & the food it wonderful -- my friends & I have never had a bad meal here.

The ambiance is a nice blend of classy & casual -- you can show up in jeans or in a prom dress -- it's all good.

Dinner is pricey but well worth it.

See you there!

Pros: VEGAN OPTIONS!, Awesome staff, Good location

Cons: NONE!

simply delightful! - Edit

I have read quite a few reviews about Mizuna on this site. Many are saying there aren't enough vegetarian options. I'm not sure how this is when there is an entire vegetarian menu!! I find the food absolutely wonderful, the atmosphere charming, and the prices completely reasonable considering most of the ingredients are from local organic farms....always nice to support our own great community! Also, great to have choices that aren't tofu- like the gluten based dishes. Overall a wonderful place to dine.

Pros: great seasonal menu, knowledgeable, friendly staff, supports local resourses

Mizuna - Edit

For my vegan friends.......there is a small selection of vegan food, but it is very good. There are a couple of vegan deserts that are good as well. It is a very classy place and it is somewhat a dressy and older crowd. The prices are a little high but well worth it.

Return to Spokane Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mizuna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.