Miya's Sushi

Contact 203-777-9760

68 Howe St, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, 06511

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers vegetarian items, including sushi made with vegetables. Try the buddist delight spicy curry roll, kiss the smiling pig tempura sweet potato roll, the Kubl Kahn tempura artichoke hearts with roasted garlic and black bean, and the home brew green tea ginger lemon grass beer. Mon-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm

Category: Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by merylnro

Recreating Vegan Goodness - Edit

If you were just to give me avocado sushi rolls I would be content, but Miya took it to a whole new level! Their udon "squid" sushi was phenomenal! Best sushi I've ever had. Awesome service, quirky modern vibes, would 10/10 recommend

Pros: creative menu , fair few options , great staff

Cons: abit pricey, but not out of character

So Good It's Absurd - Edit

OK, this is just NUTS. The place absolutely spoils you for any other veg/vegan sushi ANYWHERE, and I've had tons of the stuff in many, many different places. "Fantastic" does not describe the food (and drinks) here. "Mind-blowing" is more like it. The restaurant has been there for more than 30 years, and is family-owned. There are plenty of vegan options on the (extensive, and completely original) menu, and they'll modify almost anything to order.

My wife & I had lunch there today (2/18/15), and for about $50 (drinks & dessert included), had a meal that few (if any) restaurants could match. Everything (and I mean it) was terrific— and very imaginative! The unique (pumpkin-based) miso soup was the first thing we had, and what followed did not disappoint. Warm grape leaves with crispy eggplant, a sweet potato roll called "Kiss The Smiling Pig", vegan "Chicken" Teriyaki Roll, Curried Tempura Cauliflower Roll, and something called the "Hot Headed Cowgirl", which was simply extraordinary; you GOTTA try it!

Fans of sushi generally enjoy slices of pickled ginger, but once you've had the pickled ginger here, all others will pale in comparison. (Don't say I didn't warn you!) The sake drinks were excellent (and wildly creative), the (house-concocted) herbal teas were a marvel, and we had some sort of mini chocolate-nut-pastry thing for dessert ("Dynamite" something-or-other) that just about knocked our socks off.

The service was prompt and friendly, but it was a weekday afternoon, and the place was mostly empty— which I understand is NOT what happens at night, especially on weekends, so you may want to make reservations.

Ask for Bun (the owner), and tell him that Joe & Kathy say "Hey!"

Pros: Absurdly good food & drink, Wildly creative & original, "Sets the bar" for vegan sushi

Cons: Spoils you for any other sushi, I can't give it five stars, I can't give it SIX stars

Best vegetarian sushi menu I've ever seen - Edit

If you're going to be in New Haven, and you've ever liked sushi either before or after going veg, you seriously need to eat here. I wish I could give it 5 cows! Bun Lai, the head chef, is a local legend, very into sustainable practices and whimsical fusion creations. For you the vegetarian, this means "the largest vegetarian sushi menu in the world" (their phrase): around 15 cheap sushi items (8 rolls for $3.50) and another 2 dozen fancy options that range in higher prices. The descriptions are often more colorful than informative, but everything is surprising and wonderful. I've only had one actually disappointing roll here, and it was better the next time I had it. Eat everything! I usually order 1 fancy roll and 1 cheap roll per person for a very satisfying meal.

They are Very vegan friendly. My fiance and I went and had the Very Hungry Caterpillar dinner (highly recommended to those with $50 to spend and faith in the sushi chefs), asked for the whole thing vegan, and they didn't even bat an eye. We ended up with 12!! different vegan sushis, all incredible and I didn't even miss the cheese I used to get in rolls here.

Sake menu is totally awesome, and the firecracker sake with hot red chilis in it is a local favorite. I also recommend the Tokyo 'Fro appetizer which has an absolutely worthless description on the menu, but is a great crunchy noodle dish with a tangy orange sauce (possibly not vegan?), very fun. Drink sake, eat sushi, omg. Although you will never again be satisfied with normal sushi places' lame avocado & cucumber roll options :(

Pros: incredibly creative, huge selection, great sake

Cons: fancy rolls are a little pricey

Fantabulous! - Edit

I love the food here. There are lots of vegan options. The service is wonderful. The drinks are great. My favorite thing on the menu is the kiss the smiling piggie roll.

Pros: delicious, creative, fun

Cons: I wish they were all veggie, Not gonna happen, but a girl can dream

Fantastic! - Edit

I have been going to Miyas for quite sometime now. I love everything about Miyas. Including the awesome food. Its so nice to go for veggie sushi and be able to choose from more than just cucumber, avocado and sweet potato rolls! The chef Bun Lai is a cilinary genius and he is also a great guy. His mom , who own the place is such a sweet lady! All the waitstaff and the kitchen staff are friendly and accomodating. My friends and I go to Miyas as often as we possibly can and each time is better than the last. There are alot of great veggie options to choose from, all the rolls are great, you cannot go wrong. You must try the miso soup, Tokyo Fries and Salad Days...all super YUMMY! As for drinks Im partial to the Shinjiku (sp?) Shimmy beer, but try a sake bomb with firecracker sake...you wont be sorry! The sakes are homemade and delicious. Veggies who want something new with thier sushi and just a great time in a great place...check out Miyas!

I heard so much about this place and everything was right on!! This restaurant rocks, I am sorry I wasted my money at Ahimsa which is literally right across the steet. I started my meal off with two appetizers, the Tokyo fries and vegetable gyoza, which was okay but nothing compared to the main course. The shrimp avocado teriyaki roll and, ginger eggplant teriyaki roll. I thought I died and went to heaven. These warm rolls with the crispy outside coating melts in your mouth. Our waiter was very helpful in making suggestions being that it was my first time here.
The sushi chef sent over 2 kwanzaa bananzaa rolls, (a coconut covered roll of shrimp, avocado, cream cheese, papaya, burdock & hot pepper) All was tasty and fresh, too full for dessert, perhaps next time,,,I will be back here, this is a keeper.

Pros: creative, excellent cuisine, friendly staff

Cons: can't stop eating, no room for dessert, can't think of a 3rd

Return to New Haven Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Miya's Sushi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1801 times since Aug 2007.