First Review by beancurdled

go-to for groceries - Edit

Mix has been my go-to Asian grocery store for years. The location at Barkley Square near Jewel Station and the 19 tram couldn't be more convenient for North-siders. I seem to remember that they open until 9pm, or used to, but I see the hours aren't on their Google listing anymore so will have to confirm.

I think the owners must be Indonesian or maybe Malaysian, based on the language I've overheard the staff speaking amongst themselves, and the grocery products they stock - lots of tempe, sate, sambal, and krupuk. Although, there's also a good selection of Japanese products, some Vietnamese (rice paper, noodles), Thai (sticky rice), and Korean (kimchi) influence too.

While there's a lot of great veg*n sauces etc throughout the store, the specialty products are concentrated in the back corner of the fridge/ freezer along the wall at your right as you go in and the surrounding shelves. My favourites are the organic tempe (cheaper than most and with the nicest, firm yet tender texture), Vincent Vegetarian "fish" sauce, heat-and-eat "mutton" rendang in a pouch, just-add-water sate and other sauces in blocks, and fresh flat rice noodles. Go explore their shelves, you're sure to find some of your own faves.

Pros: good range, Indo/ Malaysian products , friendly service

Return to Brunswick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mix Oriental Supermarket closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.