Mint & Basil

Contact 669-235-5285

1741 N Milpitas Blvd, Milpitas, California, USA, 95035

Asian vegetarian restaurant opened spring 2015. Very extensive menu with Chinese, Vietnamese, and other dishes. Plenty of seating. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by EggsRnotVegetarian

Awesome Vegetarian Vietnamese - Edit

I have visited Mint & Basil numerous times now. I've been there by myself for lunch, with my partner and friends/family for dinner. The food is consistently good and the owner is very friendly and passionate about their mission.

I had been confused as to why a Vietnamese restaurant in a (mainly) Chinese plaza had a mostly Indian waitstaff. It turns out, the owners take their vegetarian philosophy very seriously. If you're not vegetarian, you don't work there.

As I mentioned originally, the rolls are quite good. If you're with a group, I would recommend the All Seasons Sampler for a great assortment. I have enjoyed all the main dishes I have tried. So far the stand out dishes have been ThaiBinh Curry, Spicy Lemongrass Chicken and Rock-n-Roll beef. They offer brown rice as an option and can cater to vegan, gluten-free and peanut-free dietary needs.

I haven't tried much from their Drinks & Dessert menu, but I can say the Vietnamese Coffee is great. Also, their Thai Iced Tea is vegan!

Pros: Pretty convincing vegetarian versions of Vietnames, All-vegetarian staff, Vegan Thai Iced Tea!

Cons: Service is friendly, but not always efficient

Real Gem! Fabulous food, great service & ambiance - Edit

This is a new place and I went there with a group of friends for the first time. We were a rather large group of 15. The restaurant does not have large family tables per say, however they were able to set up an entire row nicely. All in the group are vegetarians - that means no eggs! We normally avoid places that are heavy on the fake meat. Good thing at Mint n Basil is that the names of the items are not a turn off with meat sounding names. However the description of lot of them contain meat or beef or fish etc. We explained to the server that we get turned off by food that is made to look like, smell like and taste like meat. Defeats the whole purpose of being a Vegetarian in my opinion. He said, no problem - There are some items not suitable for us, which are made to look and taste like dead animals, other than that most items would be fine for us and they shall replace the fake meat with Tofu. We ordered variety of things, spring roll wraps, hot pot, pad thai, spicy noodles and I forget what else. The food was all great. Wonderful flavors in everything. They do not skim on quantity. The hot pot is nice with loads of fresh veggies. They do not skim on quantity here and that is good. The food still had some fake meat, they actually make vegetable protein to look like sea critters, with crittery texture and all, which was a bit of a turn off, but was not so overwhelming that it would ruin the dining experience. I did not detect any meat like flavor, thankfully! The food is delicious and flavorful. The owner is also a talented entertainer and we were treated to a completely surprise and unexpected show - balloon character making. The kids in our group were extremely unreasonable with their requests - asking for minion even! The fantastic balloon creatures just kept coming, to the delight of kids and awe of the adults. Overall, had the balloons not been there, the food, dining experience and ambiance overall was still awesome. With the balloons it was just over the top! I believe they have items on the menu designed for carnivores. The restaurant does not advertise itself as a Vegetarian or Vegan restaurant, but it is. They serve everyone and aspire to have everyone leave satisfied with the delicious and filling food. Not the place you go for cheap bite, but great choice for a sit-in dining experience. Items are Vietnamese, Malaysian, Chinese fusion. Definitely two thumbs up recommendation for this restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food. , Good size portions., Great staff. Good ambiance.

Cons: Lot of fake meat. They can substitute.

Return to Milpitas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mint & Basil closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.