Ming Tao Xuan

Contact 514-845-9448

451 St-Sulpice (at Rue Des Bresoles, opposite Notre-Dame Basilique in Old Montreal), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2Y 2V8

Tea House. Tea tasting and light vegetarian food. Small food menu such as tofu wrap, steam buns, salad, cookies, and cheese cake. Green teas varieties as well as oolong tea, white tea, black tea, organic green, and pu ehr. Open 11am-7:30pm.

Category: Tea House

First Review by kennyp353

Amazing experience for tea lovers - Edit

This place in Old Montréal gives an amazing experience. The main room is very nice, with a lot of chinese artwork and a huge number of tea boxes. Everything in here looks authentic. More than a tea shop, there is a few tables where you can seat to eat a few but very good food items while drinking your tea. As a vegan, I chose the dumplings and the small chinese breads. It was exquisite. Moreover, the staff will serve your tea following the chinese decorum. It's very nice. You'll have a 1L thermos of hot water for one order of tea so you can drink a lot of great teas at a reasonable price.

I really recommend the experience if you come to Montréal.

Pros: beautiful place, great food, huge choice of teas, great service, friendly staff, central

Cons: small, few food items

Exquisite And Peaceful - Edit

Freshly made traditional teas of all kinds, served with mostly vegan dishes, amidst a large shop array of East Asian carvings and artifacts. Friendly and informed staff (vegan and veggie they told us).

Pros: Central Montreal, Knowledgeable Staff, Peaceful, Beautiful, Delicious, Fresh

Cons: Had Run Out Of Dumplings

Charmant :-) - Edit

Nice place for very light vegetarian fair. More of a tea house than a cafe or restaurant. Great selection of specialty teas. In China, there are certain ways that teas are served and consumed. If you like learning about cultural things, stop in and order a tea and have an appetizer---then once refreshed, continue your exploration of Vieux Montreal.

great atmosphere - Edit

They are located on a gorgeous street in old Montreal. The shop is filled with teas and teapots for sale. The chairs and tables are intricately carved. They have one menu filed with numerous teas. They cost around $6 each. The serving of the tea was an experience.
We also had four appetizer type dishes each about $7. The mango salad was outstanding. We also had steamed sticky buns, faux chicken skewers and rolls wrapped in bean curd. All were excellent.

Pros: atmosphere, location

Cons: not many food choices, bit pricey for tea

Why would anyone miss this place !? - Edit

We go to Montreal 2 times per year. And usually we go to a place where we have some maple based breakfast. From the next trip the tradition will change - first stop from the airport - Ming Tao Xuan!
As a tea place - amazing selection and true to tradition way of serving. As a place to snack - very good and hard to find vegetarian Asian delights. We loved both the salad and the steamed buns. As a place to inhale the Chinese spirit of tea drinking - unbeatable! The personal attention and care of the detail in the explanation of the preparation and drinking of the tea were very touching! Loved the ambiance, the collection of pots, even the video looped on the way tea is grown and used in China. We spent 2 hours there on 27.Nov.09. Can't wait for the next trip! Till then - will enjoy the teas we bought - reasonable prices even with the high taxes of Quebec :-)

Pros: tea and food menu, ambiance, care to detail

Unique Experience in the Heart of Old Montreal - Edit

A block from the touristy Notre Dame Basilica, we stumbled across this gem. The staff at Ming Tao Xuan welcomed us in and set us up with a traditional tea ceremony. My hubby had a very unique, but tasty green tea, while I had a pur-eh tea which our waitress suggested would calm my travel indigestion. We also had tofu rolls and veggie chicken satay, which were good, but the tea was definitely the main focus. They also have many unique tea sets and chinese art for sale. We highly recommend Ming Tao Xuan.

Pros: friendly staff, unique experience

Unique and amazing experience - Edit

This place isn't really about the (exclusively vegetarian) food. It's about the whole experience of an authentic Chinese tea ceremony amid the traditional and exquisite Buddhist decor.

The tea menu has dozens of teas - I had no idea where to start, so I asked for help and the waitress suggested I just take the first one! The waiter brought the tea with the associated paraphernalia, and spent a couple of minutes going through the ritual and showing me what to do. An amazing experience, and all for not much more than your regular Starbucks.

There are only about eight food items on the menu. I had the melon and cashew salad with the vegetarian chicken - both were pretty good, together they were filling, but as I said, it's not really about the food - it's about the experience. With the tea it was under $20 plus tax and tip for an experience I will never forget. Thoroughly recommended if you're in the old town area, and worth a special trip.

Pros: Exquisite experience, Great atmosphere, Personal service

Cons: Limited menu

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ming Tao Xuan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5352 times since Sep 2007.