Ming Sheng Healthy Vegan Restaurant

768 Xie Tu Road (at Da Pu Rd), Shanghai, China,

Shanghai style vegan cuisine, quality food with inexpensive price. Nice quiet dinning area. Convenient location with public transportation available, a few miles away from the Xu Jia Hui and Hui Hai road. Name in Chinese 铭圣养生素餐厅. Address in Chinese 斜土路768号(打浦路口). Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Organic, Take-out

First Review by Ged

Delicious Chinese vegan food! - Edit

Not always easy to know you are getting vegan, so this is a great little spot. Traditional Chinese dishes, everything vegan. Reasonable prices and serving sizes.

Pros: vegan , spotlessly clean, fresh

Good and cheap vegan option - Edit

Restaurant it's really new and clean inside. Food it's great and very cheap. Very good vegan option in Shanghai

Pros: Very big portions, Great value for money, Plenty of options in menu

Cons: Desserts

Standard Chinese dishes made vegan & unique dishes - Edit

With a pretty lovely atmosphere-- calm, nice furniture, and five-ten minutes walking distance from Dapuqiao Subway Station (Line 9)-- eating here was enjoyable. There is a big "Vegan" sign outside, so you can't miss this restaurant.

The menus are on iPads with good pictures and decent English translation. Lots of dishes are Chinese vegan-ified, like vegetarian duck, dumplings, stir-fried cabbage, and kebabs (chuanr), but there are some dishes that make use of vegetables in new ways to me, like tomato pancakes. A lot of dishes are fried or stir-fried here, but I did not try the "greens" dish that might be a little lighter. Portions are pretty big. Try the dishes with "thumbs up" recommendations on the pictures.

Ming Sheng also has tons of vegan desserts and fresh juices, so save room!

Pros: fresh juice, nice atmosphere, good value

Cons: lots of fried dishes

Great Place! - Edit

Excellent food, clean, reasonably priced, staff friendly and helpful to foreigners! Highly recommended. We'll be back for sure!

Since writing this review, we have been back several times. As of this writing, the owner informed me they would be closing for 6-8 weeks for remodeling. They are planning to open again around mid to end of May. If you find the place closed, please check back. The food, service, atmosphere is worth returning for!

Not NCC's review. The owner does speak English and can help if she is there.

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 25, 2012

Pros: clean, good prices, excellent food

Cons: May not speak English

Love it! - Edit

I have eaten here twice and have loved everything I've had so far. My favorite was the cold enoki mushroom dish and steamed dumplings.

It's restaurant style, with relatively small dishes for sharing. It's a bit more expensive than a more casual restaurant like 7 brothers vegan near by, but not by much. If you come in the night time hours, there is a lady who can speak English. She's very sweet and helpful. The menu is both in Chinese and English

Pros: Delicious food, Decently priced, Can speak English at certain times

Better than expected - Edit

We came here to pick up some take-aways to feed us on a long haul train ride. The restaurant was nicer than I had expected based on the previous reviews. Service was friendly although of course no English was spoken. We were delighted to see a note on the menu that no MSG is used.. there aren't that many places of this genre. The food did take quite a long time to prepare - so much so that we actually missed our train and had to hijack the following one (don't try it, it isn't very fun!!). Although it's hard to critique the food properly having eaten it from a plastic container, it all tasted great to us. While waiting for the rest of the order we had a dumpling soup and it was fabulous. Nothing was too oily (although we may have requested less oil, can't remember) and it was overall a positive experience. It was also very close to where we were staying so we wished we had have found it earlier!

Pros: no MSG, not too oily, simple but nice environment, some unique menu items

Cons: not very fast

Ming Sheng - Edit

First of all, this listing is not 100% correct. It is no where near XuJiaHui rd. It is actually on Da Pu Rd at the corner of Xie Tu rd (near number 768) which is approximately a 10 minute cab ride from Xujiahui. The food is medium inexpensive, with dishes ranging from around 20 rmb on up. Over all I found the food to be a little too plain for my taste, and the portions rather small, but a good place to go if you are in the area.

Pros: Vegan, Attentive staff, reasonable prices

Cons: plain food, small portions

Worth a visit for the vegan tiramisu cake alone - Edit

A short walk from Luban metro station. Convenient if you are staying at the Blue Mountain Youth Hostel. Good grub at a good price. Friendly service, but no-one there spoke adequate english making communication difficult, especially when ordering desert. I wanted to try the chocolate cake, but was told (I think) that I would have to buy the entire cake and couldn't just have a slice. They eventually brought me a slice of tiramisu cake which was quite simply to die for. There is a reasonable selection on the menu - the usual Chinese options including tofu, noodles and fake meats. All good quality and inexpensive. Surrounding is basic and clean - nothing fancy about this place, but thats the way I like it. Wasn't sure about the cat roaming around though, but it was cute and friendly enough and thankfully not on the menu.

Pros: good food, friendly service, english menu

Cons: no english spoken

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ming Sheng Healthy Vegan Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3639 times since May 2010.