Ming Kwan

Contact 053-221069

86, Ratchadamnoen Road (at near Wat Phra Singh), Chiang Mai, Thailand,

Standard Thai lunch buffet style. Food is all vegan except for pre-packaged baked goods a few of which might contain egg but not labeled (ask). Sometimes packaged salad for purchase. Select various pre-made vegetable dishes, noodle soup, glass case with spring rolls. A la carte menu also available. Open Mon-Sun 7:30am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Buffet, Buddhist

First Review by msvegan

nice vego restaurant near Wat Pra Singha - Edit

great little vego restaurant just a couple of minutes walk from Wat Pra Singha ... just about everything is vegan but its always good to confirm with "ar-harn jay" ... there is heaps of cheap food with lots of variety to choose from such as curry, noodles, vegies, mock meat ... the best selection of food is available in the morning however today at 5 pm there were still lots of options ... some packaged food is also for sale

Pros: friendly staff, lots of choice, cheap food, take-a

Cons: sometimes the food loses something when eaten cold

Great vegetarian buffet - Edit

The owner was so friendly and helpful explaining the different dishes. I only stopped for the papaya salad (40 baht) but was offered cold green mango that the staff had been eating. The salad was very good and not too acidic like alot of other places.

Pros: Quality foodFriendly Staff

Great Value - A Favourite - Edit

This is a rice with toppings place that is excellent value. You can also order various noodle dishes but the main focus seems to be on the trays of various curries and veg dishes that you can select to sit atop your generous portion of rice. When there is a good selection of dishes to choose from, this place is excellent (massaman, sweet and sour, stir-fried ginger, veggie soups, fresh and fried spring rolls etc..) but too often, if you get there later in the afternoon or evening, there are slim-pickings and the value does not make up for the lack of choice.
Overall, however, I'd rate this place highly, especially as most of these rice and topping places with pre-cooked choices close or run out of food quite early in the day and at least they're open for dinner, even if there is less to choose from as the day progresses.

Pros: Great value, Fairly clean as far as these kind of places go, Tasty food and good noodle soup

Cons: Can run out of food to choose from later in the da

Cheap price, cold food - Edit

This was a typical Chinese buffet type restaurant. I got rice with two side dishes for 30 baht. Price was really good, cheap. Unfortunately the dishes were cold when I ate there about 1:30pm, perhaps if you come earlier they would be warmer. Flavour was pretty good but all of the dishes were mock meat which I'm not particular to.

Pros: Cheap price

Cons: Food was cold.

Delicious for lunch, skip for dinner - Edit

I went here 3x for lunch. It's great. You can't beat it. Good selection, delicious flavors, unbeatable price.

HOWEVER, I'd skip it for dinner. It's the same food left from what they cooked for lunch, just whatever hasn't been sold. It's been sitting out all day, and the sanitation factor on that scares me.

Pros: No meat, Very friendly, Super cheap

Cons: Dinner issue

Great vegetarian restaurant with many options - Edit

Great food for a great price. I had the massaman curry and a dish with eggplant that both were delicious, also had some spring rolls on the side. Recommend everything I had and will return for sure, however as another reviewer said you could skip the noodle soup that my girlfriend chose.

Pros: Delicious , Cheap , Good location and easy to find

great food for little money - Edit

I really liked the rice with curry for only 30 baht! Add some fresh Thai basil which always makes such a difference. I'd stay away from the noodle soup though if I was you sing it tastes a bit artificial. Hence only 4 stars.
Will go back today though ☺️

Pros: Great curries , value for money

Cons: the noodle soup

can't beat the price of this place - Edit

We are staying across the road from this place and have eaten here twice now and plan on eating hear for the rest of our stay In Chiang mai. We ordered noodle soup which was amazing! It's been a year being vegan and finally we found a soup that satisfies, it contains mushroom balls and other mock meats that are just amazing. The soup is only 30baht and is enough for one meal. We also got the trough food. We got the curry, mixed veg and other selections with a sausage on top. I can't believe we are waking about of this place full and spending 80baht for 2 people! Some people have complained about cleanliness but I have no idea what the hell they are on about! This place is clean, very friendly, they cater to Buddhist so no onion or garlic and minimal oil. If you are after clean cheap eating in chains mai GO HERE!

Pros: cheap , so tasty, free water and ice

Cons: hot but bearable

The best - Edit

That's one of our favourite places in Chiang Mai, we're coming here almost every day. Great value, amazing home made food and friendly service.

Pros: all fresh food is vegan, cheap, big portions

average thai buffet - Edit

Went there a couple of times, different times throughout the day tho. They always have 7-8 different dishes on their buffet display. You get a place of rice and just point at the dish (max 2) you want on top. Plate is 30 baht which is really cheap. The food tastes nice, some can be spicy, but nothing special. You can also take the food home in plastic bags. They have some dessert as well and even vegetarian burgers.

Pros: vegan, cheap, take away

Standard - Edit

There was nothing about Ming Kwan to rank it higher or lower than any other local Thai buffet. Prices were about the same, food was about the same, service was about the same. If you've eaten at any other local Thai vegetarian buffet, then it's just like that, no more, no less.

Good Food - Edit

Enjoys eating here basic but good clean healthy food. Definitely worth a visit and will return to eat here again!
Recommend!
Nice clean restaurant and establishment.

Pros: good selection , tasty food, nice establishment

Cons: none

Cold food - Edit

Went here one evening. This is a restaurant that sells food all day from a hot plate counter.

I had one nice Khao soy but the rest of the food ws stone cold. They obviously make no effort to keep the food warm after cooking it.

Maybe it woud be better in the morning.

Pros: Very cheap

Cons: Cold food

decent option - Edit

I don't understand either why it has been described as dirty, I think it's fine. more than reasonable price - 2 toppings on rice for 30 baht and fair sized portions. Food not amazing, but tasty enough. Most pre cooked options might be a bit spicy for some foreign visitors.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 04, 2015

Pros: open til around 7.30pm

cheap but not very tasty - Edit

You get a portion of rice with two toppings, so that's great price, but we didn't find the food itself too tasty

Pros: cheap free water

Cons: not too tasty television was on some toppings were

An unreal experience! - Edit

I have been in Chiang Mai for two weeks now, and I haven't come across a place so cheap, for such amazing quality!
I don't understand why some people have rated this place as dirty, it put me off coming here, as it was one of the first resteraunts I looked at when we came, I am disappointed that I listened to them though, this is my new favourite place!!
The mock meat was so realistic, that it actually scared both me and my partner into thinking it was beef, my partner is still a bit freaked out by how similar it is to the point of not eating it. I believe the woman who says its some kind of mushroom mock meat, it also has the vegan symbol, bright and massive on the sign, so....

Anyway, in short, if you're looking for very very tasty, extremely cheap vegan food, come here, you will not be disappointed :)

Pros: Food was amazing, Cheap as hell!

Cons: Didn't find it sooner, Isnt next door to us

Not clean at all - Edit

It is cheap and there are several vegan options to choose from.

I wish I could give this place better evaluation, as it's a very local place. But it does seem to be really dirty. I only ate there once and never wanted to come back. There are better buffet places in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Good value for money

Cons: Dirty, Staff don't understand any English, Not everything is vegan

Worm in vegetables - Edit

The restaurant is very simple and could be cleaner even considering it is a very cheap place to eat. We ordered a rice plate with two toppings and a noodle soup. Both for 60 baht, and the taste was normal for such price (nothing impressive).

After eating around a half of the rice dish I found a big and fat worm among vegetables. I showed it to a lady working there but she only laughed and threw the worm with some vegetables on which it was residing to the trash bin. It seemed like a normal thing to her and she offered no extra topping for the one she threw away. If a big worm is something that can go unnoticed to their food, I wonder what else slips through. Because of that it was my first and only visit to this place.

Pros: free water

Cons: not very clean, food with a worm

Great place - Edit

This is one value for money eatery! I had a big dish with rice and potato curry for only 30THB. Amazing.

If things look spicy here, they definitely are. I tried the soy meat casserole and it was the hottest thing I've ever eaten. I am a massive wimp when it comes to spice though, so bear that in mind.

Cheap as hell, food is good, portion sizes are good. All in all a definitely worthwhile visit.

Pros: Very cheap, Tasty, Nice staff

Amazing Thai Vegan food - Edit

Good selection and happy to serve groups. We took about 10 people there each night for 2 weeks and the staff never minded.

Some dishes are very spicy so be careful if you don't like spice!

the rice with veg selection is very low fat for those eating like we do aka Raw Till 4/McDougall style.

Nice water and local ambience.

great cheap and tasty thai vegetarian food - Edit

This was a great discovery as the thai veg place near me tends to run out of food by 1 pm! Ming Kwan is open until pretty late and so far every time I've been there the food has been warm and plentiful. It seems as if they continually refresh and make new food as the day goes on. Its also crazy cheap.. 30 baht for rice and three items.

Pros: tasty vegetarian, open late, always lots of food

Tasty Vegan Food - Edit

Amazing selection of tasty vegan dishes. Rice with 3 items is 30bht and water is free. The dishes vary from day to day with some that seem to be staples. I've noticed many locals eating here as well.

Pros: good value, great taste, nice selection

Fantastic Eatery in Chiang Mai - Edit

This is definitely my favourite restaurant in Chiang Mai (excepting the Vegetarian centre, which - although fantastic - is a fair hike out of town, and closes by 2pm). Massive plates of rice with one-to-three dishes from the buffet, which has a huge array of dishes, will set you back no more than 30 baht; as will an ample bowl of 'quay-teow nam' (noodle soup with mock meats and veggies). Unbeatable value; and walking distance from the 'falang'-strip.

Pros: Heaps of variety, tasty food, central; friendly staff, Super-cheap!

Cons: Closes at 8pm

Good, cheap food - Edit

I just found this place. The quality of the food is quite good and nice, clean surroundings. The prices can't be beat.

Pros: tasty food, clean , cheap

Recommended. - Edit

Concur with the above, but let me add, very tasty. Small place, maybe a dozen dishes, you select what you want, take away or dine in. Great value, 25 baht for two selections, plus rice, plus small bottle of water.

Pros: tasty, price, quick serving

Basic simple good food. - Edit

Standard glass case veg buffet set-up. Their food is better than most of the other places in Chang Mai and they stay open later.

Everything is vegan except some of the prepacked baked goods which arent labelled and they dont make them. So, who knows.

They people who run it are very nice and speak English. The
seating area is clean and spacious compared to many similar places.

Pros: Good, Vegan, Inexpensive

Cons: TV going

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ming Kwan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4529 times since Aug 2011.