CLOSED: Minato

• ( 13 reviews )

194 Yamashita-cho, Naka-ward, Yokohama, Japan, 231-0023

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers vegan okonomiyaki, vegan takoyaki, 4 kinds of ramen, and some vegetable Japanese dishes. Confirmed closed, Jan 2020.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by cad_

SvenStraumann

Points +13

Mostly Veg
26 Dec 2019

Disappointing

True, there were a lot of vegetarian/vegan options, but we‘d have rather had just one good one instead. „Wasabi Ramen“ sounds good but tastes like instant noodles and not spicy at all. Don‘t bother ordering tempura, you‘ll only get a super small piece per order.
(Seafood Yakisoba was tasty, but no option for vegetarians)

Pros: Lots of options

Cons: None were tasty (that we had)

CordThomas

Points +41

18 Nov 2019

Plenty of vegan options for Japanese classics

Even though it is a less fancy eatery, the food and the prices were great. We had the vegan okonomiyake and were impressed. The place was a bit hard to find on Google maps, but was worth finding! Other vegan options include curry, ramen and sukiyaki.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options for Japanese classics, Vegan food is done well, Cheap

Cons: Atmosphere is more like fast food

Totallynotvegan

Points +146

28 Oct 2019

A very good spot

The location is prime right next to the park and China Town so after a walk through the town it's a good spot for some hungry travellers.

The food is filling and quite good. We got the curry ramen and vegan ramen, both were pleasant and filling full of veggies and healing broth.
We also ordered the okonomiyaki which was simply delicious and amazing. We have had vegan okonomiyaki before that was twice as expensive and not nearly as good, also with triple the wait time. So, this was a huge upgrade.

We got to the restaurant just after opening for lunch and it was perfect because we had a short wait for three dishes. Additionally, we ordered vegan mochi which is amazing as it is not common to find anywhere in japan (and we have been all over in the last two months) so this was quite a treat.

I would definitely recommend eating here if you are looking for a filling and relaxing meal as the atmosphere is chill and the servers are very friendly with a good understanding of English.

Pros: Lots of options, Good atmosphere, Friendly staff

AliciaCollier

Points +30

22 Sep 2019

Great find

After 3 days in Japan it was amazing to find a full vegan/vegetarian menu!

We had the grilled vegetables and curry ramen - ramen was amazing!

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: More than what you would normally pay but worth it

Geektesse

Points +84

14 Jun 2019

Ok if you are in the area

I had the Takoyaki which has a (as a few noticed before) funny texture. The grilled soy beans were very delicious. The place inside has only plastic furniture and therefore little charm, the waitress hardly took notice for us.

MayankToprani

Points +15

08 Jun 2019

Plenty options, but small quantities

Ordered 5 dishes... My opinion:
Pros: Lots and lots of options for vegans and vegetarians, which is absolutely rare in this country, and that too in Japanese food.

Cons: Small quantities, making it slightly expensive and repetitive use of the same vegetables across dishes.

charlotteinjapan

Points +347

30 Apr 2019

Fun to try vegan okonomiyaki but wouldn’t go back

It was ok. I was so hungry and got the ramen and the okonomiyaki from the vegan menu. Wasn’t a good mix lol... both were fine, tasty, but nothing amazing. I couldn’t eat all of the okonomiyaki because it was a very mushy texture. And just too much mayo. I know that’s the okonomiyaki style but that and the texture made me feel kind of sick.

As someone else mentioned in their review, the vegan/ vegetarian menu is separate to the main menu and you have to request it. It was confusing as many things were listed as vegetarian (even though the staff said they are vegan too) and only a few as vegan. Just made me wonder if they know the difference.

Wait time was a bit long, too. Each dish came out separately and it took a long time to receive all of the food we ordered (4 things). Only one chef. He cooked one meal at a time so a bit painful. The staff were really friendly though.

Also, a side note... the toilets are awkward if you’re a girl. There’s one door that leads to both a male and a female toilet. But as this place is an izakaya, there were a few super drunk guys in there and sharing the same, tiny, washing hands area with them was very uncomfortable, for me at least.

Pros: Vegan okonomiyaki , Friendly staff

Cons: Confusing menu, Wait time for food, Toilets

Ivy629

Points +15

27 Apr 2019

Delicious vegetarian local delicacy

All vegetarian Foods are tasty and unique. Staff are friendly and make us feel homely

MelodyRolnick

Points +50

10 Apr 2019

it was a nice place

I’m skeptical if they used vegan mayo.

Nice place to go for a business meeting.

Takoyaki wasn’t very good. We didn’t finish it

charlotteinjapan

30 Apr 2019

I read your review and double checked about the mayo! They assured me it was vegan, so hopefully it was ??

AkihiroShugo

Nice

Very sweet staff
Tasty okonomiyaky
ありがとうございます🙏

Pros: Many options, Smoking

ForAnimalsJapan

Points +3327

30 Nov 2018

A bit of a letdown

English below👇 関内に新しくオープンした『ミナト』に行ってきました。

店は一階部分にレジがあり、階段を降りた地下に座席があります。店内は広々としていて、スタッフの接客もとても良かったです。またオープンしたての事もあるかも知れませんが、清潔感があり、キッチンで作業するスタッフの姿も見る事が出来ます。

残念な点は、座席は全て硬いプラスチック製で、座り心地はあまり良くなくて、長くは居たくないフードコートの様な印象を受けました。ヴィーガンメニューが英語版しか無かったのも残念でした(こちらは会計時にスタッフに伝えました)。

このレストランは完全なヴィーガンレストランではありませんが、かなりの数のヴィーガンメニューがあります。
今回注文したのは、『ヴィーガンラーメン』『カレーラーメン』『ヴィーガンたこ焼き』『ヴィーガンお好み焼き』です。

私が食べたのはカレーラーメンでしたが、特別際立った特徴も無く、及第点の印象でした。

次に頂いたのはヴィーガンたこ焼き。
こちらはとても美味しかったです!中がとろけて、ヴィーガンになる前に、大阪で食べたたこ焼きと同じ食感と美味しさでした。因みに、タコの代わりに使われているのはコンニャクで、咀嚼した時の食感は、タコと全く変わりませんでした。

最後にヴィーガンお好み焼きをいただきましたが、たこ焼き程のインパクトは無く、焦げた部分が固くて少し食べにくかったです。味自体は悪くありませんでしたが、総合評価としてはまあまあの印象でした。

たこ焼きもお好み焼きも、ヴィーガンのイメージからはまだまだほど遠い存在です。こちらの店はそのイメージに一石を投じた素晴らしいレストランだと思います。
お近くにお越しの際は是非ご利用下さい。

We were very excited to try the food at Minato, a newly-opened restaurant in Kannai that boats an extensive vegan menu, including Japanese classics like okonomiyaki and yakisoba. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite what we had been hoping for.

The dining room is in a large basement, with no windows and hard plastic chairs. It has a distinct food court vibe. The water we were given tasted funky, with a weird aftertaste.

The vegan menu is only in English and you have to ask for it, which is a shame because it means the majority of their customers have no idea it exists and so they can’t order from it. We told them on our way out that we think it’d be best to also include the vegan dishes in the regular Japanese menu.

Our friendly server took our order and we settled in for a long wait. Our vegan order took much longer to come out than other customers’ non-vegan food did, but I guess that can’t be helped.

Eventually, our ramens arrived. We tried the curry ramen and the vegan ramen. They were both good, but certainly nothing special. If it’s ramen you want, go to the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum or Chabuton, where it’s cheaper and better.

After that came what Minato is known for— vegan versions of Osaka-style takoyaki and okonomiyaki. The takoyaki was quite good, and tasted just like I remembered it. I wasn’t very impressed with the okonomiyaki, though. It just tasted weird to me.

So our experience as a whole was pretty “meh”. I personally am not in a big rush to go back, but if you miss takoyaki and okonomiyaki, I think it’s worth checking out.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, including okonomiyaki , Vegan options clearly marked

Cons: Smoke-Free only at lunchtime, Not the greatest atmosphere

cad_

Points +37

24 Nov 2018

Delicious vegan okonomiyaki and takoyaki

Love love loved this restaurant and would give it 5 stars if I could. The food was amazing and the staff were friendly. The food service was a little slow however it was 100% worth the wait!!! So happy to be able to try vegan versions of Japanese dishes! The mushroom “Tako” inside the takoyaki was so realistic I was very impressed. So sad we don’t have time left in our trip to come back and eat at this gem of the place. 100% would recommend.

Pros: Vegan options , Friendly staff

Cons: Service a little slow but definitely worth it!

Return to Yokohama Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Minato closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.