Contact 02920-473150

213 City Road, Cardiff, Wales, CF24 3JD

Created in 2006 with a mission to bring together food, drink, music, and art under one roof. Converted to all vegetarian menu in 2010. Mon-Thu 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-12:00am, Fri-Sat 11:00am-12:30am Kitchen closes at 930pm daily.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by Helen J

nice enough. - I would go again. - Edit

Went for my 30th birthday with my partner. This is my 3rd experience at Milgi's and I'm still not sure about it. Most of the staff are lovely and friendly. Food is plentiful. Definitely a better vibe towards the evening. I would recommend booking a table as it gets very busy. I did find there was a funky smell to the place. But that could just be because all the veggies are up front due to limited space in the kitchen. - this didn't put me off though! There's lots of food on your plate and some great vegan options. Slightly expensive but it is local organically sourced food where possible. Later in the evening both my partner and I were very ill. So something didn't agree with us. (Booooo hiss - not a nice way to spend the evening of your birthday or the following morning)The cinnamon doughnuts were lush though there was no ice-cream. Chocolate dipping sauce was a bit like nesquik (so good) and the eastern platter was amazing. The chutney and hummus spot on. Over all it has a great ambience and I love the concept. Cocktails are also lush. I'm sure we'll go back again in the future.

Pros: vegan option, tasty food, great ambience in the evening

Cons: was ill, some staff are a bit stand offish, funky smell

One of the best meals I've ever had! - Edit

I've been visiting Milgi almost since they opened, but each time I return it has gone up another notch in my estimation. As a vegan I really appreciate their switch away from meat, and their cuisine is now 90% vegan. The standard of food is exceptional, the staff are lovely, and the decor and vibe make for a very enjoyable experience, with sofas to relax on after your meal in their yurt lounge. We were there for my son's 40th birthday and it's a great place for a group celebration. I would especially recommend their cakes; not many places can pull off vegan and gluten free and have non vegetarians not even notice what's missing.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great vibe

Cool cocktail bar & restaurant - Edit

Have visited many times over the years - the food is consistently good and actually improving. Staff aren't always the friendliest, but on my most recent visit they were great.

The vegan doughnut desert is £6.50 and worth it.

Pros: Variety on the menu, Most vegetarian dishes can be veganised

Cons: Car parking can be difficult here

Delicious food and great atmosphere! - Edit

Highly recommend the Saag burger and the indian street food platter however you MUST TRY the vegan doughnuts!!!

Pros: Helpful staff, Big portions

Cons: Slow service, Hard to find parking sometimes

Beautiful Unique flavours - Edit

I came here with my partner for my Birthday. We had a delicious dinner that had unique flavours.We had a Mexican Blackburn with purple corn tortillas and Korean Bibimbap with miso rice. Their menu items are interesting and not common to find else well. Really impressed with them and surely recommend them.

Pros: Delicious Unique menu, Vegan Options

Cons: Uses Eggs and Dairy

not bad - Edit

This veggie place felt a bit like the frontline of gentrification in Cardiff and their arty website does nothing to dispel that feel. but the staff were friendly and the cake good. However there is a sparse choice for vegans and very little or nothing sweet for those trying to be sugar free!
Not easy to spot admits all the cafes and eateries on City road , a clear signage must be out of vogue.

Pros: nice and friendly

Cons: not a lot of vegan options, no sugar free sweets

Highly recommended - Edit

I've been here a couple times now and this place never disappoints! They always have a bowl of the day which is amazing, they also have so many amazing cocktails and the donuts here are by far the best I have ever had!

Enjoyable experience. - Edit

A reasonable selection for vegans. Food of a good standard. Comfortable premises and friendly staff.
Only problem is its location, it is virtually impossible to park nearby and for those living the other side of Cardiff buses are not a real option. I have to add in the cost of taxis to the bill to get there; and taxis in Cardiff are expensive!

Pros: Good food, Friendly atmosphere.

Cons: Location.

A proper (veggie) Sunday roast - Edit

Visiting a friend in Cardiff, who took us to Milgi. Late Sunday afternoon but they still had the Sunday special available so we all three went straight for that, didn't even check out the rest of the menu. A delicious nut and lentil roast, so a good choice. Drinks-wise I had a really nice non-alcoholic cocktail while my partner said the house wine was pretty good. Hardly room for dessert after the very generous main course, but we managed to share a piece of polenta cake with ice-cream - very good. A friendly welcome, great laid-back atmosphere, and a glimpse of the yurt out the back which made us wish we'd called on a warmer day. If I'm in Cardiff again I will go back, for sure.

Pros: friendly welcome, the food is great

Cons: if coming by car it's tricky to park

Nice Place - Edit

I love that Milgi use organic and locally produced ingredients wherever possible. Having said that, the portions are small and expensive. I do like that a lot of dishes can be veganised and I've never been disappointed with the quality and flavour of anything I have tried here. The cocktails are also delicious! Overall it's a good place for vegetarians but there is room for improvement.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly, informed staff, Fresh food

Cons: Expensive, Small portions

Much love for this place. - Edit

The food is awesome. Its all Vegetarian but! not much vegan stuff on the menu.

It is somewhat expensive but lets get real, do you want to eat a bean burger in McDonalds or Burger King not knowing what on earth is in it or spend a little more at Milgi and know your in safe hands?

The staff are awesome and you wont wait long for food, I had a meal out back once and the weather was nice, its a great place to hang out.

I wish they would open more stores!

Pros: Vegan options, Very nice staff, Cute decor

Cons: not the cheapest, Only one Store...

Nice, but expensive - Edit

Milgi is a really cute, alternative place and has a lot of comfy sofas in the front which is nice. It also has a nice outdoor area for the summer and a yurt outside, which I haven't been in other than to have a look.
The food is good and they do have vegan options, but not everything on their menu can be made vegan. The portion sizes aren't huge and the food is fairly expensive in light of this.
They don't have many vegan desserts (for a veggie place). There is always something, but again many are vegetarian where I do not understand why they couldn't just make them vegan.
The cocktails are great though and one of the main reasons for me to come here. They are expensive, but not more so than they would be in other places and they are beautifully presented. If you order a fruity cocktail, it will have fresh fruit in it rather than that weird puree stuff some places use. The cocktail menu is great and they have a lot of variety and great flavours to choose from. All the ones I've had have been great.
The staff can be a little unfriendly. I went with a large group of girls to eat one time, but we weren't out for drinks, so most of us ordered water with our food and the waitress was noticeably annoyed about this, which I don't consider good service. And all of us ordered food and quite a few of us desserts, so it wasn't like they were doing badly off us!
There have been other similar instances of staff unfriendliness, just making you feel a bit uncomfortable or unwelcome. This is the main thing that has put me off of this place, although I've gone a lot as I used to live very close to it.

Pros: Great food and cocktails, Nice alternative place, Outside area

Cons: Not very central, Staff can be unfriendly, Expensive for the portion sizes

Loved my first meal in Milgi's - Edit

I had the veggie breakfast here a couple of weeks ago and it was gorgeous. It's not wheelchair accessible but a kind customer helped me to get my very small mobility scooter inside. I pointed out to the owner that she needed to get a portable ramp.I haven't been in the yurt but I've been told it's amazing. The owner's Dad is a DJ who does remixes of music from the 20s and 30s and she told me a DJ plays the originals on Sundays on a gramophone in the restaurant. I'm looking forward to their Christmas dinner.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

Cons: No disabled access

Random Find - Edit

I often stay at my parents in Barry just up the road, but I've never ventured into Cardiff for food before. Happy Cow directed me to Milgi. It's in a very culteral, leftie area which was right up my street. The venue itself was beautiful and very DIY. The staff were friendly and the food was great with plenty of vegan options. The cocktails were also delicious. I can recommend the ginger vodka mohito! :)

Pros: Good value, Tasty, Friendly staff

Cons: Not enough vegan deserts

Fantastic - Edit

We enjoyed some great cocktails and a vegan Meze at Milgi, staff were friendly and really helpful, the atmosphere was great and we felt we could stay sat on the comfy sofa for hours!

love it :) - Edit

Lovely little cafe. Good food (amazing Sunday roast), nice fresh juices & teas, also vegan and gluten free cakes are usually available. Nice chai also :) their cocktails seem popular too. really interesting to look around and a yurt out the back. They also have some themed nights and do jumble sales etc.

Pros: delicious! healthy & mostly organic / seasonal , lovely atmosphere & cosy, all vegetarian & vegan friendly

Cons: not cheap but it's worth it , sometimes run out of stuff

fantastic! - Edit

A great spot in Cardiff. Went twice on our last trip there. They had a DJ both times playing good music while you drink tea or eat a meal. The teas were great (fresh infusions with ginger, lemon, basil, etc) and the Sunday Roast was fantastic. A great nut loaf with roasted veggies and a pudding. The staff are very nice too and friendly. We went Easter Sunday so the roast was a little empty and not much of a scene, but it is a great place anyway.

Friendly, funky place - Edit

Took a bit of time to get parked (at night on the street) but was very happy once I got through the door to this friendly place.
On the till it says "We (heart) vegans" and they certainly did well to point out what I could or couldn't eat. A good selection of starters and mains but a limited selection of desserts.
People seemed to be coming in just for the cocktails which looked amazing.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Limited dessert selection for vegans, Smallish portions

Exciting food in lively setting - Edit

Quirky Bar/Restaurant that does good veggie food with influences from around the world. They do great Sunday lunches at good prices and occasional themed evenings. Good cocktails, lively atmosphere and a Yurt in the garden!

Return to Cardiff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Milgi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4982 times since Dec 2010.