Mikuna

Frederiks Alle 96, Aarhus, Denmark, 8000

Opened early 2014, a small take-away vegan cafe. Has many gluten free options. Has a large focus on sustainability and ecology with all packaging produced co2 neutral and biodegradable. Open Tue-Sat 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Danish

First Review by tsthomas

Amazing burgers - Edit

Mikuna have the best vegan burgers i've ever had going out! Especially 'Burgeren' (#10, 'The burger') is so good!

Pros: affordable, delicious

Cons: no guest toilets, sometimes sold out because of high demand

Best vegan options in Jutland - Edit

A nice place, best for takeout but there are a few seats too. The menu has different burgers and more. There are cake and coffee drinks too.

Pros: Only vegan! , Tastes good , Fair prizes

Cons: No toilet , Only few seatings, Closed on Mondays

Most likely the best burgers in the entire country! - Edit

This place is amazing. I have been there countless times and I'm close to having tried everything on the menu.

Their burgers and sandwiches are so incredibly good. True vegan fastfood, in a way that feels and tastes authentic and healthy while still being hangover-cure-style greasy.
This place will convert carnivores!

They are very friendly, the prices are totally reasonable and if I could, I would probably go there everyday.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-03

Pros: Top tier vegan fastfood

Cons: I don't live in Aarhus

Great Food - Edit

Very small, only about 12 seats but mainly a takeaway. We had a good chilli and an amazing dhal made with cocounut, it was so good. Lots of people enjoying burgers and it was packed. They could double the size easily. Nice people. No toilets!

Pros: Tasty!!!

Cons: No toilets

Great! - Edit

The only vegan Restaurant in Århus (Nov16). Very nice people work there. The food was very good, the cake was awesome. Cozy atmosphere. Tables to sit but no toilettes.

best burgers! - Edit

We shared two different burgers here and we're so pleasantly surprised. Both of them were the best veggie burgers we ever had. Definitely coming back!

So good! - Edit

I had a vegan burger there and it was so delicous.
I wish it was in Aalborg, but will definitely be going back next time I'm in Aarhus.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-20

Pros: Tasty vegan burgers

Cons: No free water , No restroom, A bit pricy

Wish Mikuna was closer to Copenhagen - Edit

I tried 3 of their sandwiches and they were all excellent. I also tried their dhal, which came with some kind of sweet-sour coriander dressing. It was so good! I wish there had been more of it.

Next time I'm in Århus, I'm definitely going to Mikuna.

Pros: Wonderful food, Nice people working there

Cons: No free tap water, No customer restroom

Nice spot for vegans - Edit

I went there with my omnivorous sister and we got two different dishes and a dessert. The burger was fine, but wasn't my cup of tea when it comes to taste and spices. My sister got a lentil stew that had the same sweet chutney in it as my burger, which wasn't very delicious, but the dessert was fantastic!
Very atmospheric and a great experience, as we were eating whilst the Google-man came and took photos of the place (yes, that's me and my sister on Google Maps @ Mikuna :D )

Pros: Fully vegan, Eco-oriented

Cons: Not quite in accordance to my taste-preference

Perfect if you crave something hearty - Edit

I had a vegan sandwich with a "fish"-patty, pickles and remoulade. The bread is of very high quality and the different flavours harmonised very well. You can choose between regular bread or a gluten-free option. My company had one of the burgers and was also very satisfied with that choice.
Although this is a take-away the atmosphere is comfortable and you can chill while waiting for your food.

Pros: food is prepared very fast, the packaging is environmentally friendly, good connections to public transport

Cons: no restrooms, maybe not the best place if you want to go low-fat

Best burger in the world - Edit

I got burger no 10 - best decision of the day!

It had nice salad inside, deep fried onion rings, very nice melted vegan cheese, and perhaps the best dressing i've gotten in my life! the beef actually looks like meat which seemed a bit scary but it tasted good - not like meat, and all in all the burger was soo delicious !

The place is very cosy, small (it's take away but you can still dine inside) - the price is very okay compared to other café/restaurants in Denmark, then its even a bit 'cheap' compared to the quality and size of the meals :)

i couldnt finish the burger, so it was a good size ! Most recommenable

Pros: Best burgers in the world, Great taste, sorta okay prices

Best Veg Place in Aarhus - Edit

Mikuna is by far the best veg place you can find in Aarhus (in Denmark for that matter). It is difficult to find good veg food in Denmark in general. So Mikuna is certainly a great surprise. We have been loyal customers since 2014, and their food just kept on getting yummier. Note that this is a very popular place, rightly so. So be prepare to wait for seats, or go during off-peak hours.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Vegan!

Cons: Often run out seats, Closed Sundays

Yummy! Best vegan burger in town! - Edit

I come here often when in Århus, where my boyfriend lives. This little cafe serves extraordinary Swedish "meat" veggie burgers and "fish" Smorgasbord (open faced mini sandwiches). I ordered vegan cupcakes for a 10 year olds bday and they made the perfect! Highly recommended, call before going though as their hours are tricky and short. Stock up on. Meal to take home, their sandwiches last nicely. Not a healthy style vegan place, more on the treats and "junk food" side but well worth it!

Pros: Friendly service , great changing menu, deserts are amazingly well made

Cons: no fresh salads, limited hours , small space

Nice. - Edit

I come in once in a while, not because it's the greatest food around but because I can actually have anything without worrying about dead animals in my food.

Friendly at first, but then... - Edit

I appreciated the cozy atmosphere and warm customer service when I first got there. The menu is attractive, although it would be nice to have some more "green" options, such as big salads.

There aren't many vegan cafés or restaurants in Aarhus, so I really appreciate these initiatives. But in order to contribute to the improvement of this particular café, I must say that the prices are a bit high compared to ingredients costs. I ordered a seitan hamburger which was mostly cabbage, and BBQ sauce, a lot of BBQ sauce even if I discussed with the cashier that I didn't like it normally but was willing to try it. OK, I was hungry, the taste was nice, the bits of seitan were good, and the cook brought it with a big smile to me. Yay.

I was surprised by the fact that there wasn't any WC. It would be nice to have even just a place to wash your hands after the burger.

I also bought one of the drinks they offer, mostly FritzKola, which was delicious. But I forgot to take my medication before leaving. I asked for a glass of tap water and was denied that. I understand that people coming just to drink tap water and stay for 5 hours isn't the best, but I don't understand why after paying 108 kr. I don't have the right to a glass of tap water.

I know you put a lot of hours of work into this and that you need to pay your bills, but denying water isn't very empathetic, which what you expect in this kind of place.

Hope you give this a thought!

Cheers

Pros: Near from a commercial area, Cozy place, Vegan

Cons: Not good quality, size and price ratio, No bathroom or washing basin, No glasses of tap water for costumers

Best vegan menu in Århus! - Edit

Restaurant is fully vegan and the meals served are nothing less of AMAZING! The menu is somewhat "du jour" - ever changing, so be aware that you may not be able to get a specific thing you've had there before the next time you visit. However, it also means that you don't get bored ordering the same options over and over.

Mikuna is an absolute favorite of mine, and I make sure to visit every time I have the time and I'm in Århus. I've had something new every time I've been there, and I've never once been disappointed or treated to something I didn't like. The flavors and spicing of every single dish is genius!

The staff is amazing - smiling and friendly, quick to serve and very passionate about what they do. They come across as extremely kind and open to suggestions and ideas.

The pricing is a bit high, but nothing I wouldn't expect of a small restaurant right in the premium center of town. In my opinion the money is well worth it.

A small downside is that it is a tiny takeaway restaurant, so they don't offer much seating (a few chairs and tables) and also don't offer a customer toilet. So make sure to plan your visit with this in mind.

Pros: Exciting options packed with flavour, Great service and staff, All vegan

Cons: Only very little seatings and no toilet, Opening hours are somewhat short, Changing menu; you can't have favorites

Best Burger ever! - Edit

Friends and I ordered take-away food at Mikunas, because it has become quite difficult to get a table there at certain hours. The food was just ready to be picked up at the agreed time and packed in 100% biodegradable packaging:)
I had the "Burger´n" which without doubt was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten!!!
10 out of 10 points for that. It is very meat-true, which I know some people dont like, but for me with the onion rings and the sweet chili sauce it was just perfect.
My friends had the Chili sin Carne which they loved, but I have to say that it wasnt quite to my taste...well, taste is very subjective:)
Furthermore, the price for the burger was really not bad compared to what you get (it is quite big).
Unfortunately, the menu holds a lot of sandwiches and bread, which I generally am not the biggest fan of, and few "real meals", but I hope that is something that will be changed by time:)
All in all: really recommendable!

Pros: Delicious burger, Completely vegan, Good value for money

Cons: The menu mainly consists of sandwiches, It is not possible to book a table

so gooood - Edit

I wish you guys would be open on Monday and in the morning so I could come all the time! If you need extra employees for that I'm your girl btw ;-) anyway LOVE this place, Aarhus needed it! It's got such an amazingly cozy atmosphere, great food and lovely staff!

Return to Aarhus Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mikuna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.