Midnight Espresso Bar

Contact 04-3847014

178 Cuba Street, Wellington, New Zealand,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Breakfast, sandwiches, vegan cakes, nachos, soya cappucino. Counter service. Open until late.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by

Great selection - Edit

Midnight Espresso Bar had many vegan options that totally exceeded my expectations. The vegan lasagna was really good. I'm excited to try the cakes because they looked awesome. The atmosphere was very funky and I liked it.

A long time between visits... - Edit

It's probably been 20 yrs since I last went here & my lifestyle was a lot different back then! Based on Happy Cow reviews we went back here for Dinner last night...I had no idea they catered to Vegans so well these days! (Thanks again Happy Cow!) We had a great meal....I had the scrambled tofu with seasonal vege & chilli sauce - very tasty & a good portion size. My wife had the vege Nachos & enjoyed those too. Good menu options that are either vegan already or can be made to be and the counter main & dessert choices were varied and interesting. I finished my meal with a slice of vegan chocolate & orange cake with coffee for dessert ~ Yum! We'll return here for sure, to work our way through the rest of the offerings on the menu and variety on the counter.....recommended!

Pros: Great prices - good portion sizes , Friendly service, Great vegan menu in lively Cuba St

AMAZING vegan food - Edit

This was so good I visited 3x in 2 days! The vegan options are amazing. Almost everything on the menu can be made vegan if it isn't already and there are plenty delicious vegan dessert options. The chocolate cake was incredible. They do vegan French toast which was heaven on a plate! There are cookies, cakes, cupcakes, biscotti, pinwheels... Check it out.

Pros: great variety , delicious food

Awesome cafe downtown Wellington - Edit

This place was a lucky find after traveling for over a week in New Zealand without many vegan options. They have an awesome menu and are very accommodating to making veg options vegan. Incredible array of desserts. There were probably 12 choices, with at least 4 of them vegan. I got the carrot cake and chocolate cake which were both delicious. They had one remaining huge vegan cream donut the size of a softball, but it was gone by the time I ordered dessert. Fun atmosphere and open late, unlike many of the surrounding restaurants.

Pros: Good vegan options, Awesome vegan dessert choices, Friendly staff and atmosphere

The best place for vegan cake - Edit

We go to Midnight regularly mainly because it seems to be the only place in wellington that serves decent vegan cake and usually there are several options. although I'm getting a little tired of the standard chocolate cake they always seem to have. if you get a chance try the raspberry chocolate tart
it is the most delicious desert ive ever had there but they rarely seem to have it even after asking for it and being told that a lot of people seem to ask for it.
the coffee is good but always too strong for my partner which is partially our fault for never asking to decrease the strength. lol.
the savory food is generally good but not really wow. we waited a long time to try the hash stack and ended up quite disappointed as it was quite bland. the vegan lasagna is always however good.
overall i would definitely recommend this place as i love the funky atmosphere the staff are generally quite entertaining although sometimes grumpy (but ive never walked in and its been quiet so who wouldn't get a little grumpy)

Pros: vegan cake, good service, awesome funky atmosphere

Cons: posters/leaflets always out of date, cakes never change

Generally good, consistency could improve - Edit

When I lived in Wellington (for 5 years) I went here regularly. There are marked vegan menu items (such as the ever-popular vegan nachos, with an awesome vegan aioli), and usually a good vegan selection among the counter food (usually 1 cake, 1 cookie and a bake/lasagne type item). Plenty for vegetarians, if cheese doesn't bother you.
However, service can be slow (very slow - queue for 15 minutes at the counter to order, then wait 30 minutes for food), sometimes the music is loud and obnoxious, in winter it's cold if you sit near the door, and in summer if you sit near the front windows, smoke from cigarettes will waft in from the street. A few times I've ordered things and my order was incorrect (including one incredibly disappointing vegan big breakfast with burnt toast and NO AIOLI despite it being listed as an ingredient) - but these issues have always been cheerfully rectified by the staff when pointed out. I expect to continue to return here every time I'm in town.

Pros: Good vegan range, Has a good vibe, Not too pricy

Cons: Slow service, Loud, loud music sometimes, problems with wrong orders sometimes

Went here almost every day on my visit - Edit

I adored this place, and went here every day during my stay in Wellington. The vegan breakfast and nachos are delicious, and the desserts are great as well. The ambiance of the cafe just suits Wellington, and there's food for not only vegans, but also vegetarians and omnivores. My husband had the vegetarian breakfast and he loved it, and it even managed to fill him up (no small feat). The prices aren't amazing, but they are pretty standard, and the fare is just really great and reliable. My only complaint is that the staff is your typically bored hipsters, who are MUCH better than in my home city (Perth), but can sometimes be a bit slow in the service department (because it's cool to look bored at work or chat with your friends, don't you know?!). That aside, everything else about my experience here was excellent. Not only was the food delicious - though certainly unpretentious - I liked that you can choose to sit in a cosy corner or at the counter and watch people on the street. Great for meeting friends for a chat, as well as sitting down to eat by yourself and people-watching.

Pros: Range of vegan options, Affordable, though not cheap, Ambiance

Cons: Service may be sub-par, Vegan desserts not always available

My go to place - Edit

I love this place. I'm fortunate to live just around the corner. The vegan nachos are to die for. It's the vegan mayo that makes them (which they use on a lot of other things too). The tofu gangster burger is the other thing I get from the kitchen. Ordering from the kitchen can take some time, but the portions are huge. The small nachos is plenty for two people and the large about 4. The food that's ready is really great too. The Vegan Turkish Sammie is delicious, as are tofu bunz. They usually have a good selection of deserts include vegan chocolate cake. Great selection of drinks from smoothies, to juices, to shakes and of course coffee.
If can be quite loud and difficult to have a conversation and some of the seats are awkward (people standing over you waiting online or very narrow booth seats) but the food more then makes up for it.

Pros: Great food, Good location, Good service

Cons: Noisy, Selection not always great

Like a Christchurch C4 - Edit

It was my first time in Wellington and finding this cafe made my whole day. The vegan hash stack was huge and so good and fresh! Really two thumbs up I will recommend this place to all my friends since it is not only a vegan cafe! the atmosphere is great too!

Wellington vegan-friendly insitution - Edit

I've been going to Midnight for about 5 years now for the atmosphere and the veg*an-friendly food. They make awesome vegan nachos with homemade beans, hummus, mayo/sour cream - but it takes at least 2 people to finish even the small size! The vegan chocolate cake is always huge and delicious (again, big enough for 2) and I just noticed vegan milkshakes on the menu - however, the two times I've ordered one, I've agonized over whether they remembered to use soy as it tastes so dairy-like! Only menu item I haven't enjoyed: the chunky vege chips, which were oily and undercooked when I ordered them. Also, I wish they would veganise their pancakes - look so good, and such an easy item to veg up!

Pros: Great grungey atmosphere, Big range of vegan eats, Fun staff

Cons: Potential food hygiene issues

Super cool place, don't miss the vegan hot coco - Edit

We were a bit hesitant at first, but the tofu burger is of legend so we asked if we could get a low fat version w/o the oils/vegan mayos, etc. They said "we've got a whole kitchen full of food we'll make you what ever you like" and we did! High marks too for the vegan soy hot chocolate!

Pros: accommodating, hot coco

Great Place - Edit

This has long been a Wellington institution and I admit it is one of my favourite places to go for breakfast, lunch, morning and afternoon tea and late night out munchies.

The atmosphere is interesting but relaxed, the staff are really friendly and there is usually a great selection of vegan food on the counter and on the menu.

The food can range from delicious to plain depending on when you go and what's on offer. Vegan nachos can be exciting and bursting with ingredients one day and plain old beans with a bit of hummus the next. It seems to depend on who's cooking and what ingredients are around. It is also the same with the counter food. There may be three choices of vegan cake and a couple of vegan biscuit options (cookies) or there may be just vegan chocolate cake. I generally prefer the other cakes to the chocolate and find the biscuits (cookies) a little dry. But I have high standards for my baking. I would always recommend the tofu burger (vegan pesto and aioli) and the vegan hash stack. And the nachos and scrambled tofu on a good day.

This is my favourite Wellington cafe. And it's right opposite Slowboat Records. Handy! :-)

Pros: Great selection of vegan food, Really friendly helpful staff, Great atmosphere

Cons: Can be variable, The music can sometimes be too loud

Midnight - Edit

It was getting close to midnight when I arrived in Wellington, luckily Midnight Espresso was open. I had a slice of vegan pizza then some cake and a coffee to top it off. Quite a happening little spot that caters nicely for vegans in the late hours. Although the kitchen doesn't stay open as long as the cafe, you can still get a coffee and slice of cake to burn the midnight oil with. Ok enough of the 'midnight' stuff.

Pros: Open late, vegan pizza

Cons: not 100% veg

Good, solid, affordable food - Edit

I liked this place. Nothing spectacular, but some nice offerings, and a good selection. Cake was good, and prices are fair. I would actually rate this a 3.5, but will give it a 4 instead of a 3 to be charitable.

Pros: Prices, value, cakes

Awesome Cake - Edit

Midnight Espresso has really yum vegan cake and other sweet things. They have a range of vegan savoury options too. I am a fan of the tofu sandwiches. Music is loud sometimes and seats limited. But you can always get your food to go and sit on a bench in the sun on cuba street. Friendly, understanding staff.

Pros: Mmm cake, Gluten Free options, Friendly staff

Cons: Seating, EFTPOS machine in a funny place

Rad Cafe - Edit

Good selection of vegan food and cakes/sweets if you get there before they all get snapped up. Can get very busy so sometimes find it hard to get a table.

Pros: good selection, great food

Cons: busy, staff abit slow

Return to Wellington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Midnight Espresso Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3210 times since Aug 2007.