CLOSED: MFT BBQ and Vegan

Contact 208-906-4960

1115 N Curtis Rd, Boise, Idaho, USA, 83706

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional BBQ along with vegan food. Separate prep and cook areas. Vegan choices include smoked tempeh sandwich, smoked jerk spaghetti squash, butternut squash with toasted hazelnuts, spicy coleslaw, beans, and potato salad. Kitchen makes its own sauces and rubs which are vegan and gluten free. NOV 2014 CLOSED THIS ONE, CHANGE TO BBQ4Life AND MOVED TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by veggie*

Solid vegan food offering - Edit

If you are tried and true vegan, you may not like the vegan along side meat offerings.

But if you need a good vegan meal that you can invite your meat eating friends to, this is the place. The sandwiches are great (TLT, Vegaloaf) and the vegan potato salad are very tasty.

Highy recommended, especially at the new location at Vista Village (Vista and Kootenai). Easy parking, nice spot, and access from I-84 or downtown. Near the Boise Train Depot.

No better word than awesome. - Edit

Passing through Boise on the way home from a family vacation and happened to find MFT. I was a little skeptical at first when we pulled up to a Motel/Restaurant. As we pulled up I told my wife that there was no chance this place was Vegan or even knew what it was. After getting seated, viewing the menu, and speaking to our waitress (also owner and amazing desert maker) I no longer doubted that this would be an awesome experience.

From the service to the food everything was perfect. Pricing was the best I've ever seen in a Vegan restaurant. The portions were perfect but given that this was the first truly Vegan restaurant prepared food we'd had in two weeks we considered ordering everything on the menu just to take with us. Once we completed the difficult process of picking from several Vegan entrees on the menu I choose the Vegaloaf and my wife had something different (I can't remember the name). Both entrees had amazing flavor and were perfectly filling. The kids had shared sides of the Vegan mac 'n cheese and country beans which they enjoyed and I may have eaten some while they weren't paying attention. After the recommendation of our waitress we ordered the lemon bar and chocolate cake for desert which she had prepared. This is the first time I'd ever had a lemon bar since becoming vegan and I have to say it was possibly the best desert I've ever had the pleasure of consuming.

Needless to say next time we find ourselves in Boise we will be back. This is one of the places that not just deserves but has earned 5 cow/stars in my book.

Pros: Perfect portions, Low prices, Awesome staff

Not your local Hippie/Trendy/etc veg-eatery - Edit

If you're a 'true' Vegan you wouldn't eat here as they serve meat. I was the only 'mostly vegetarian' (fishY) in the place. Everyone else was satisfying their carnivorous desires. Maybe 25% of the place was full for a mid-week 6pm dinner.

Waitress was very gracious and served me my beer from next-door - they just add it to the final bill.

Had the Veggie Loaf vegan sandwich- tempeh, potato salad, choc/rasp sauce (does NOT taste like either 2me, but did taste great), on Hawaiian bread (not sure if bread was Vegan?).

Side of spicy coleslaw (mild spicy and I'm a lightweight) and baked beans - both sides Vegan. Yum x2.

Plus a Porter from the tap next door -

Pros: Staff, Entree, Sides

Cons: Location, Location, Location

Great Option for Boise Vegans! - Edit

I went here for lunch with a friend today and this place was delicious - and not to mention super cheap! With drinks, sandwiches, (I could only eat half of mine), sides and a dessert to split, the entire bill was only $21. I had the special, the 'vegaloaf' which was a smoked tempeh sandwich with spicy chocolate raspberry BBQ sauce, topped with homemade vegan potato salad - and it was fantastic. There are great rotating specials for both vegans and meat- eaters and dessert specials too. Our waitress was one of the owners and she was great fun to chat with. Highly recommended!!

Pros: Great option to eat out with non-vegs, Unique selection/rotating specials, Inexpensive

Cons: Signage is tough to see from the road

Loved It! - Edit

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this place and totally loved it. I had the smoked tempeh, mac & cheese, & country beans and he had the jerk squash & cole slaw. Everything was fantastic!

I would have to say my favorite part was talking to the co-owner who was our waitress. She was so sweet and made dinner all the more pleasurable. I can't wait to go back to Boise and eat here again.

Side note: I can't pick 5 out of 5 stars since the menu isn't completely vegerarian but that's what I would rate it.

Pros: Low Prices, Lots Of Veg Options, Great Service

Cons: Can Be Easy To Miss

Vegan comfort food - Edit

Delicious. I have earen there 4 times for lunch and have not been disappointed. Its nice that my not vegan husband and I (a vegan) can both have a meal with plenty of options. I'd give it 5 cows, if I could, but I cannot because its not an all vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Good portion sizes., Kid & adult options.

Cons: Don't go if you are offended by meat.

Pretty good - Edit

There are two vegan sandwiches on the menu. One was a BBQ tempeh, which was pretty spicy, and the second was a squash sandwich, which was sweet in a good way. The sandwiches were small, and the price was $6 per sandwich. The location was also difficult to find. Turn into the Roadway Inn parking lot, like you are going to the hotel, and you should see it there.

Pros: good food

Cons: tough to find, price

Return to Boise Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: MFT BBQ and Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.