Meze 119

• Vegetarian
Contact 727-498-8627

119 2nd St N (at 1st Ave N), St Petersburg, Florida, USA, 33701

Traditional Middle Eastern cuisine with a modern flair. Restaurant is vegetarian and vegan.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Delivery, Take-out, Middle Eastern

First Review by

Must Try! - Edit

Service, environment, and food was all excellent! The food was so fresh and they completely catered to our vegan needs! I was surprised with how many vegan options there were. I got the alfredo pasta and blackened tofu steak with rice and veggies. Seriously! Everything was heavenly. They serve no meat whatsoever which was another comforting fact as a vegan. The water and coffee was fresh and delicious too!

Pros: Excellent Vegan Food, Excellent Environment, Excellent Service

Delicious modern-middle eastern vegan food - Edit

Comfortable, clean atmosphere. Server was super helpful, explained vegan options well, and ensured that I was only served vegan food. We were never left thirsty. The menu is cleary marked with lots of vegan options across the board in each category of food - appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches, etc. Food was delicious and filling. Sandwiches come on pita bread. Sweet sesame seed paste with coconut ice cream was a nice, modern twist on the traditional halva dessert. Loved the handwashing music in the bathroom. Haha.

Pros: Food, Good value, Friendly staff

terrible , expensive - Edit

I went their years ago when first opened and was great , then went their on business. Waiter talked to me non stop. Because I was alone, that is not an invitation to talk with me. Also drunk customers walking side to side with cigarettes. Also food not that good and overpriced . Would not go back. Happy cow would not let me give zero stars.

Pros: if u desperate and only thing open

What an absolute gem! - Edit

I eat here whenever I'm in downtown St. Pete. They have delicious vegan options including dessert and the staff are delightful and so helpful. I wish I had a Meze 119 in north county!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 05, 2015

Pros: Inexpensive , Vegan Selection, Staff

Cons: Only one location

just the best! - Edit

i was recently in town for tried every place i could find for vegan food, tried meze last.... best by far!!!!!
just great, un beatable, i was able to order a vegan app entre and dessert!! with meat substutes!!!! just perfect , i had the house made vegan chicken nuggets with fun house made dipping sause for and app, vegan sharwma with french fires for an entree the fries are garlicly and great, and veagan icecream sandwitch for dessert (yes, im kind of just a big guy ) everything was just great, i would have ate there again the next day if i was going to be in town another day, its that good

Pros: great food, great prices , lots of vegan options

The best St. Pete has to offer! - Edit

This is the type of place even a carnivore will enjoy. A staple in the community, with a wide range of delicious items. Everything on the menu is vegetarian and tons of Vegan items! The food is always fresh and seasoned perfectly!

Happy Taste Buds - Edit

The vegan shish kebab I ordered at Meze 119 was full of flavors. I ate slow to savor every bite! Very pleasant and informed wait staff (thanks Steven). Sat at an outside table and enjoyed St. Pete! If I make it back for another visit, Meze 119 will be a must re-visit :)

Pros: Menu variety with numerous vegan options, Staff, Ambiance and location

Cons: It's not in Baltimore, darn!

Horrible Service and Unsanitary Conditions - Edit

Unsanitary Conditions & Worst customer Service! Had sand in my greens and was told that it has happened before by the waiter. Obviously not using proper washing procedures. Owner offered to discount meal 50% since I had taken a couple bites. But owner would not even come out and talk to me. Horrible restaurant everything is reheated in a microwave and has a lousy owner. Luckily they get weeded out pretty fast in this town.

Cons: Owner rude , Bad Food

Great vegetarian restaurant! - Edit

One of the best vegetarian restaurants I have found, even with traveling the US, Canada and some of Europe. The service was excellent and the food out of this world! Meze 119 is a 50 minute drive for me, but I plan to go back every chance I get. Kudos to the owner, too, for running a clean restaurant, which has a very good inspection rating from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 11, 2014

Pros: Great food, Wonderful service

Fantastic - Edit

It was our first time here. We're visiting St Petersburg by boat and just happened to come across Meze 119.

We shared an assortment of appetizers. All were fantastic. There's a nice attention to detail and quality here missing in so many restaurants. Service was the perfect balance of being attentive and not bothering.

We'll only be in town for a week but we'll be back.

Pros: food, service, comfortable atmosphere

Excellent Meze 119 - Edit

Meze 119 serves brunch, Greek, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Vegan and Vegetarian foods. Thanks to the other great reviews here on Happy Cow, my family and I decided to try this place out and were NOT disappointed! Our server was amazing and took the time to go over the menu with us and very helpful. The vibe at Meze 119 was 'unique' and the music was just right. There were a number of vegan items to choose from and I do agree with the other reviewers - the misspelled words kind of got confusing like "sammies' or "meyn", but we figured it out. The Meze-naide was really a great drink to start the meal. The portions were great and each dish and salad were prepared to perfection. We topped it off with ice cream sandwich (vegan ice cream in between two chocolate cookies) and it was a great way to end the experience. We will be recommending Meze 119 and will be back soon!

Pros: Excellent Food, Excellent Service, Nice Vibe

Excellent Middle Eastern - Edit

Greatest variety of middle eastern dishes. The only problem with the 3-hummus appetizer is picking from the half dozen hummus options. Three different meals, all wonderful. Awarded the owner a Happy Cow window decal.

Pros: Menu variety, Service, Outdoor seating

Upscale for Florida? - Edit

Meze 119 is probably your most upscale option for a vegetarian or vegan dinner in the Tampa Bay area. It's casual, but nice casual. Fun, hip ambiance, friendly and knowledgeable servers, very good food. Convenient downtown location in St. Pete.

I almost didn't want to go because it sounded like a typical boring Middle Eastern menu that we vegetarians are always getting stuck with when nothing else is available(hummus! baba ghanoush! be still, my beating heart!) But Meze 119 surprised me.

So first of all ... fake meat! I love fake meat! They had fake chicken, tempeh bacon, all sorts of fake stuff. And ... they have plenty of NO FAKE MEAT options for those of you who DON'T like fake meat!

Second - variety! Not just tabbouleh and falafel. Other stuff too. And even the Middle Eastern stuff has some interesting twists, like a Moroccan spiced fava bean hummus.

Third - taste! Everything was tasty! The Cyprus BLT was habit-forming, and the Moroccan BBQ Chikk'n with crispy fried spinach (aka crack) was memorable.

Fourth - liquor license! So you can enjoy a nice drink while you are sampling the meze!

Really only one complaint: the cutesy alternative (and nearly illegible) alternative spellings for the fake meats. Shrrmp? Is that really necessary?

Pros: location, ambiance, variety of options

Cons: annoying spelling!, a little heavy/oily

Fantastic - Edit

My friend and I went for brunch today and were very impressed. We really enjoyed our meal. It was just the right serving amount and very delicious. Loved the flavors. The staff was very friendly, the restaurant was clean and comfortable. The prices are great too! We will definitely be going back.

Pros: Prices, Selections

best vegetarian/vegan friendly in TB - Edit

I went here with a friend tonight, after visiting majority of the Vegetarian-Friendly restaurants in the Tampa Bay area, we finally visited Meze 119. We were extremely impressed and very, very happy with our food.

They offered so much variety and a lot of vegan slang play-on style menu. I loved how between the Mediterranean style cuisine, to jewish, to american food like a "stak/steak sandwich" and other varieties of foreign cuisine.

I tried the Stak Sandwich with the Hot and Sour soup. It was extremely tasty, I loved my sandwich especially. I honestly can't say enough on how this is the best vegetarian restaurant in the Tampa Bay area. I've visited vegetarian restarants all over the country and I've only been impressed a handful of times, this is one of those times.

Pros: Nice chic atmosphere/decor, Great Menu Choices, Delicious Food

Cons: Could be bigger, Needs more business, Needs more marketing

The best vegan food I've ever had - Edit

I've lived all over the west coast and while the west coast lauds itself in having a plethora of both vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants in comparison to the southeast, honestly none are as amazing as Meze 119, nestled in St. Petersburg, FL.

The environment is eclectic and cozy with white furniture against pillows with pretty textured fabrics that are great for the booths and make the dining experience more comfortable, and our waiter was kind, friendly, and informative. He pointed out that the menu shows which foods are specifically vegan with a "V" labeled next to the dish to differentiate between the vegan dishes and the vegetarian dishes; this is so accommodating to everyone's preferences so my vegetarian friend who accompanied me and I (vegan) could both order dishes that suited our individual needs.

As for the food itself, it was amazing in appearance/presentation and in taste, and the menu embraces Middle Eastern cuisine varieties and, in my opinion, really has something for everyone to enjoy on it. I found Meze 119 while being a passenger on a car ride looking for a place to stop and eat on HappyCow and I'm so grateful that I stumbled upon this place. (Thanks, fellow reviewers!) I hadn't any exorbitant expectations coming in and was so delighted and overall wow-ed by the food and environment offered.

I tried the Meze sammie, which was an ideal portion size and left me with some great leftovers in addition, and the falafels were nothing short of epic - I've been to plenty of places in search of that perfect falafel and this one is it; it's not just a flat, boring chickpea flavor but has lots of texture and depth with a slightly crispy and very yummy outside (and inside!), and even a hint of lemon with every bite, it's a pretty falafel too. In speaking of lemon, their crushed mint leaf lemonade was delicious as well, I even got one to go because I wanted to enjoy it after the wonderful experience I had at Meze 119.

I will most definitely be coming here again and hopefully it'll be soon. Next time I'm in St. Petersburg, I'm for sure bringing more people with me to try out this epically delicious place and to share this gem with them. There may not be as many vegetarian/vegan places in the southeast as in my former home of the west coast, but I'd take Meze 119 any day over any of the previous restaurants I've been to that cater to my lifestyle.

To the Meze 119 owners & staff: Thank you for the wonderful food, environment, and service!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Wonderful environment

teal Update: Just wanted to say that since this review, Meze has changed the menu around to not include the side with their sandwiches. Before, you'd get the tz'iips (potato) both IN the sandwich (2 potato wedges stuffed in the sandwich) and on the side, now it's just in the sandwich. If you want a side, you have to purchase them separately. I wasn't really happy about this since the portions are already kind of smallish as it is, so my last visit consisted of this pita just sitting by itself on a plate. I wouldn't mind not having a side but because the sandwich isn't exactly the biggest offering, it was off-putting.

I've been back many, many times since my old review and have also noticed my food coming back overcooked within the last 6 months. Like another reviewer said, my falafel was very crispy/charred on my past few returns. I'll still go if I'm in that area, their Meze-naide is so good, but there should be a bit more quality control and consideration especially as of late, imo. There's also so many emerging vegan-friendly places in the Tampa MSA offering food that isn't burnt and overall bigger portions for a better price.

good vegan food - Edit

The vegan food here is good. Atmosphere is cozy. Staff is very friendly. Prices and portions are fair. The teas are very good. Hours are perfect.

Pros: portions & prices are fair, friendly staff, food is good

Cons: would like more vegan options, get rid of the cushions or replace them

You have to eat here! - Edit

This place is fantastic! The food was so good, plenty of variety, and some new, adventurous flavors. The place is small, cozy and decorated beautifully, very modern, with lots of pillows in the booths, and lovely murals on the walls. Our waiter was very helpful, answering all our questions and providing suggestions. We all loved the food. We had the trio of salads and liked all three. Servings are on the small side, so if you eat a lot you may have to order more than at a typical restaurant, but everything is so good here, I was glad to try several different dishes, almost like "tapas" style. Loved it!

Pros: food, ambiance, variety

Best falafels ever - Edit

I'veb een to Meze several times, and my only complaint would be that I wish they had what was vegan or what could be made vegan on the menu. I was told on one visit that the falafel salad was vegan as is, but when I ordered it on another visit it came with yogurt sauce on it. But they were so nice that they re-made it without - I just felt bad that I didn't order it correctly to begin with. But the food is delicious, and you always have the option of getting whole wheat for pita and sandwiches, and everyone there is always really nice.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy, Friendly and accommodating staff

Cons: Vegan items not clearly marked

Fantastic Food! - Edit

Meze is a contemporary, creative vegetarian restaurant in St. Petersburg. Open for lunch and dinner you can eat healthy, delicious food whenever you want it. The owners, staff, and chef are friendly and accommodating. Don't miss eating here if you are in St. Petersburg. Definitely worth a drive from the surrounding counties as well. It's like a big city restaurant in the neighborhood!

Pros: interesting healthy food, reasonable prices, all vegetarian

Return to St Petersburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Meze 119 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7383 times since Jun 2011.