CLOSED: Mex-I-Can

Contact 905-527-1554

107 James Street North (at York), Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8R 2K6

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican restaurant. Some menu items can be made vegetarian or vegan upon request. Large portions. Veg food is supposedly cooked separately from the meat. Tortillas made in-house. There is a small store and gallery on the premises. APR 2015 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by HeleneC

yes they can! - Edit

I've been here a couple times and the food is very very good. I usually dont go out for mexican if i can avoid it because in the past i found most things at resturants tased very similar and i could recreate it at home but Mex-I-Can raises above any mexican food i have ever had. On top of that almost anything can be veganized. Another plus for vegans the menu is CLEARLY labelled making it super easy and when you order a veganized item the staff know what you want whenm you say the vegan ___ which is great. The only down side is the service is super slow but on the plus side while you wait you can socialize with your party over some really good (and strong) margerittas.

great food! - Edit

I honestly must admit that the name turned me off because it sounds like fast food. But it's not. It's real tasty, good quality, authentic Mexican food. Seems like it's quite popular in the area too, quite busy at the dinner hour and I noticed a bunch of local awards in the window. I must say that it does appear like they have worked on their slow service issues that have been referred to in past reviews. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu now (excellent) and the staff are knowledgeable and helpful. I had the tamales and they were excellent! My boyfriend had the enchiladas which he enjoyed but said he liked my tamales more. Ha! I highly recommend this place if you are in the area, definitely a satisfying meal.

Pros: clearly marked vegan options, quality , authentic Mexican

Cons: yes decor is a bit cheesy but it's not a big deal

better than in Mexico! lots of vegan options! - Edit

beautiful menu, great downtown location, fantastic owners, great staff and service (can get pretty busy in there though).
They make a sick vegan burrito, and definitely try the guacamole! Also when its slower, they make the nicest pinacolada!
Just ask for vegan and the chef (Veronica) will impress you!

Pros: food is delicious, great people, best value for money

Cons: could use a makeover , needs more pinacolada

The BEST food in town. - Edit

My all time favourite restaurant. Almost everything on the menu can be made with or without meat. Everything is authentic, made to order and made from scratch. You won't find any cooked-from-frozen Sysco food here!

I've ordered almost everything on the menu here and it is all delicious. Most orders can be made mild to spicy depending on your preference.

Also almost everything on the menu is gluten free as all bread-like products are made from corn.
Sometimes the food can take a while to arrive, but that is a necessity for a custom made meal
Very friendly staff, reasonable prices.

Should be a 5 star rating as almost everything on the menu can be made vegetarian.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy, Friendly

The BEST Mexican food in Canada - Edit

My husband and I discovered this restaurant in January 2010 and we've since eaten there about 5 times (as of end of March!). The food is not only authentic and delicious (everything from the cactus salad to the guacamole, including the vegan gluten-free tamales and other dishes) but the chef will go out of her way to ensure that the dietary needs of her patrons are met. Seriously, it's difficult to eat out when on a vegan / gluten-free / soy-free / nut-free diet. This place is outstanding. Yes, the service is slow - yes, it takes time for the food to get to the table - and yes, the place could use a facelift (from the outside banner to the tables and lighting). But everything is made fresh, and you know what? This is a small, family-owned restaurant where many of the other patrons come from Central and South America. Need I say more? OH YEAH, Veronica (the chef) had me taste the Daiya cheese that VegNews has been raving about since early 2009. Mmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhh... Mex-I-Can....
The only reason I'm not rating this restaurant as a 5 is because it also serves meat - therefore, in HappyCow terms, the best rating can only be 4 out of 5.

Pros: Quality of food, Vegan menu items, GLuten-free menu items

Cons: Slow service, Restaurant could use beautifying...

Return to Hamilton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mex-I-Can closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1254 times since Jan 2010.