Metropolis Coffee

Contact 773-764-0400

1039 W Granville Ave, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60660

Serves meat, vegan options available. Edgewater/Rogers Park coffee house with an in-house food menu since early 2010. Offering sandwiches, salads, soups (in colder weather), snacks, as well as a full line of vegan pastries made by a vegan chef. Roasts coffees from around the world and works with communities to help develop and promote fair trade in the coffee industry. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri 6:00am-8:00pm, Sat 6:30am-8:00pm, Sun 7:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

No more vegan pastries - Edit

I stopped at Metropolis on my commute this morning as it's on my way to work. I've never been there before, but looked forward to making it a regular stop. I waited eagerly in line to see what vegan pastries they had, since they were recommended here. Unfortunately they didn't have any vegan pastries. The staff looked puzzled when I asked. The only sweets they had were Alternative Baking Company cookies packaged in plastic(most of which I'm not a fan of). I left empty handed. I called in the evening and they told me they used to get vegan pastries from Fritz bakery, but didn't carry them anymore due to low sales. So don't go there if you are looking for vegan pastries. I give it two cows since it looks like a nice coffee shop, but the listing here emphasizes the pastries.

Pros: Looks inviting, Alternative Baking Company Cookies, Friendly efficient staff

Cons: No vegan Pastries

Always Busy, Great Coffee - Edit

I've been to Metropolis many times. Warm, welcoming feeling. Exposed brick interior with artwork for sale and a community bulletin board when you first walk in.

Coffee and lattes are the best I've had anywhere. The food and baked goods are high quality, but it's not like they have an extensive menu. It's mostly cookies, bagels, biscotti, desserts, wraps...that sort of thing.

There are two rooms of additional seating connected to the main cafe. They are almost always packed full. Loyola University is nearby so this is a popular spot with students. Honestly, I haven't been here once and found a table without having to wait. Kind of like trying to find a parking space in Chicago, you circle around and circle around until something opens up.

They have Wi-fi. Get password from front counter.

A Wonderful Coffee Shop! - Edit

I've only been here once, but I see Metropolis as being my new favorite cafe! I stopped in today and bought some of their vegan baked goods for later(made in house - I think they said by a vegan baker/owner). Overall they had a good selection of vegan items and David was helpful when it came to picking a few things out. His suggestions were spot on, the mock mint oreo cookie was fantastic and the coffee cake was phenomenal! So far I think this place is great, I can't wait to go back to try the tofu wrap.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Metropolis Coffee closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 814 times since Apr 2010.