CLOSED: Metal Rice Ball

Contact 09-10503273

52 ZhongHua Road, Luodong, Taiwan,

Veggie restaurant with artistic and woodsy interior created by a Canadian who has had lived in Taiwan for many years - sold the cafe in 2009 and now owners are Taiwanese. No garlic or onion used. Has English translation menu. Sandwiches, pasta, hot pots, set meals, fried rice, noodle, teas, and coffee. Some items contain dairy so vegans to ask. Located in the center of Luodong, short walk from the train station and night market. Reported closed to HappyCow, Oct 2015. Open for lunch and dinner.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by Jeffrey

New Ownership since 2009 - Edit

On our last trip to Taiwan 1-yr ago, our friend brought us to Metal Rice Ball, and here's my review.

The decor and atmosphere here is truly unique. It's obvious that the Canadian who had created this place was a true artist. His original artworks continues to be displayed throughout the restaurant even though he is no longer operating the place.

The new Taiwanese owners have kept most of the menu but the taste seems to be very different (accordingly to our friend who is a local). Now, the flavors and styles are more Taiwanese style.

I liked the atmosphere and the decor, but the food was average. I had a fried rice. My husband had a "ribs" set meal. Nothing special though. Would be great if the food could be better. Nonetheless, visitors might consider coming here for a coffee or tea simply for the atmosphere!

Excellent - Edit

This is a great place to eat, drink, and hang out. The food is healthy and tasty, the owners are very friendly, and upstairs there are books and boardgames to play. The last time I went, they had fresh-baked cookies too, which is definately a rare find in these parts!

Pros: Wonderful atmosphere, friendly staff, tasty food

Return to Luodong Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Metal Rice Ball closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 633 times since Dec 2008.