Mestizo Restaurant and Tequila Bar

• Veg-friendly
Contact 020-7387-4064

103 Hampstead Rd, North West London, England, NW1 3EL

Serves meat, vegan options available. Limited vegan choices on the main menu, so ask for the separate vegan menu.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by beenie

Good range of choices for vegans - Edit

Nice restaurant with a separate menu for vegans which seemed to carry most of the options from the main menu but veganised.

Pros: Seemed like a lot of choice for vegans

Cons: Expensive

Excellent - Edit

Mestizo was simply excellent. Very good quality Mexican fare that makes the likes of Wahaca seem like Macdonalds by comparison. The separate vegan menu had plenty of options to choose from. The entrada and main I chose was delicious. The restaurant itself is vibrant bordering on noisy. Will definitely be going back again.

Pros: Vegan menu, Excellent quality food, Good service

Cons: Fairly noisy

So good I went back the same week! - Edit

Went to Mestizo for a birthday party on the Saturday, returned on the Wednesday for more.
Great to see a separate vegan menu and the staff were willing to remove cheese or other non-vegan ingredients from other dishes on the normal menu. Very helpful staff and very attentive.

First time around I had the enchiladas de papa with rojas sauce. Delicious! A little spicy for me but the black beans and the rice really helped me with that!
Second time around I had the guacamole then the vegetables slow cooked in a banana leaf. DELICIOUS. We also had a cactus (!) salad on the side which they made vegan for me. Cactus is amazing tasting!

Very happy to be able to get hibiscus tea in London as well. All round a great experience and delicious food.

Pros: Delicious, Awesome staff, Authentic

Disappointing. - Edit

I was initially wary after spotting at least one dish on the 'vegan' menu that had sour cream listed as an ingredient. I ordered a mixed vegetable taco, and received a few large chunks of boiled vegtables on a tired soft corn taco, with a warm thin spicy tomato sauce on the side. I'm no great cook, but I would be embarrassed to serve this at home. To top it off, the staff added an extra item to our 3 item bill. Oh well.

Pros: Nice venue

Cons: Expensive, Staff speak limited English, Disappointing food

Viva Mexico - Edit

Visited on 12th November 2012. I had been looking forward to visiting Mestizo since finding out about the separate vegan menu. As it's a bit over my normal budget I had been waiting for a good excuse to go. My partners sister being in town gave me that excuse so we went with another friend last Monday night. Although the vegan menu is smallish it is very authentic and I've been missing decent Mexican food since I visited there earlier this year. I really wasn't disappointed, I had the Enchiladas De Papa with tomatillo sauce, it was great. The huge drinks menu impressed me, it was great to have a Negra Modello with the meal and a fine tequila afterwards. The staff were friendly and I can only guess that the last reviewer went on a super 'off' night or is really fussy? If you like Mexican food this is a great choice, especially if you are with non-vegan friends. My only criticism is that its a bit on the pricey side.

Pros: Seperate vegan menu!!, Authentic, Great drinks menu

Cons: Quite expensive

Delicious vegan menu! - Edit

Their vegan menu is now on their website. We went last night & had some amazing margaritas and shared their Molcajete Mestizo dish which was delicious. We went for the Chipolte sauce with corn tortillas. We'll definitely be back!

Vegan menu available - Edit

Mestizo is a Mexican restaurant and bar, a short walk away from Euston, Euston Square, Warren Street and Mornington Crescent stations. It is a non-vegetarian restaurant which offers a fully vegan menu. The vegan menu is not advertised (I can't find any mention of it on their website) but the waiting staff are happy to oblige.

Wide variety of starters (£4-7), soups and salads (£5-8), and main courses such as enchiladas (£9-13). Sorbet available for dessert (£3.50). Most of the vegan items seem to be the vegetarian items from the full menu minus cheese/soured cream, but it's still nice to be thought of.

I particularly enjoyed the taco nopales (tortillas topped with pickled cactus leaf). My non-vegetarian girlfriend had a fully vegan dinner and enjoyed everything she ate, which is a good sign!

The drinks menu is extensive with lots of cocktails.

Pros: lots of vegan items, good food, extensive drinks menu

Cons: serves meat, may need to reserve

vegan menu ! - Edit

We discovered Mestizo when my brother fancied a Mexican restaurant for his birthday. Bit of a funny location as there's not much around it but the restaurant itself is pretty nice. I wasn't overwhelmed by the two veg options on the menu but when I asked if they could make anything vegan they whipped out a vegan menu ! With three or four starters and as many mains there was enough to choose from. Unfortunately they only do burritos at lunch but the enchiladas I got were really good and everyone else was happy too. The service was friendly and attentive so all in all I recommend this if you've got some carnivores in tow ! It ain't cheap but not ridiculously expensive either. Oh and they've got a large margarita menu too...

Pros: freindly staff, good food, large drinks menu

Cons: odd location, serves meat

Return to North West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mestizo Restaurant and Tequila Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1831 times since Aug 2011.