Mens Sana - Lanzone

Contact +39-0280582624

Via Lanzone 3, Milan, Italy, 20123

Restaurant group offering vegan and macrobiotic food, sold by weight. Many choices from starters to cakes. Filtered water and juices to drink. Small place, primarily take away. Directions: M2 sant'Ambrogio, tram 3, 15, 19. Open .

Category: Vegan, Italian, Macrobiotic, Western, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by +++VeGaNiSaToR+++

very good everyday vegan food - Edit

You pick food from behind a counter, which is reheated, and pay by weight. You also get bread and tea.

The food is simple but flavorful home-style healthy vegan food, some ingredients sourced locally (or regionally) when I went. Really big selection.

The staff/owners were friendly enough, but did not make any attempt to speak any English or even slow down or repeat in Italian when I clearly was not understanding everything. This is much different than I've experienced in other restaurants in Milan. (Not a big deal though since you could get by with just pointing/gesturing anyway.)

I'm not sure whether prices have changed since the other reviewer complained about them, but I paid 7.50 for an average/large portion of food.

Pros: simple healthy food, price

Love this place! - Edit

I've been here three times on work trips to Milano and I have only good things to say. Food- excellent, huge variety and all home cooked by the proprietor so menu can change from day to day. Nice variety of salad items, tofu dishes, pastries, vegan lasagne and a range of condiments and sauces (my favorite is a turmeric based one) and delicious cakes. Seems to be family run as each time I see the same people working there and they are friendly and make every effort to communicate with you. I will be back on future trips to Milano.

Pros: Variety of items, Friendly, genuine staff, Near the Duomo downtown

Not greatly impressed - Edit

I hate writing not so good reviews for vegan places (I'm too British), but I have to admit that we weren't too impressed by this place. It all seemed to be a bit too healthy: probably a bit like what your typical meat-eater would imagine a vegan café to be. Also the person who served us was not that friendly (but anyone can have a bad day).

However, if you like macrobiotic food then you'll probably be happy here.

Pros: Healthy, Location

Cons: Too healthy :-), Service

Your everyday lunch or dinner - Edit

Before being vegan I already ate @ this [email protected] at least ones or twice a week because my office was near. And from that I understood that if I went vegan, I would have still had plenty of food to eat even without dead flash and dairy.

[email protected] is a chain of Vegan gastronomy/deli where you can order to go or to eat there.

Food changes from day to day and every day you can choose between many types of cereals (barley, spelt, oats, whole rice etc.), season veggies, "proteins" (seitan, tofu, tempeh), legumes and desserts. You can compose your main dish with all the available options and pay by weight. Water and bancha tea included and available at every table.

The food is prepared the day before and then re-heated before being served so I suggest not to choose any kind of pasta because it would be overcooked.

I heard the chef comes from the macrobiotic school therefore someone could feel a lack in salt. It's available, together with gomasio, just ask!

I think prices are a little bit too high compared to the expectations given by the location. A full dish + a dessert might cost around € 15-18, it doesn't matter if it's to stay or to go.

My favourites desserts are hazelnuts cake (unbelievable, it seems to eat solid Nutella), chocolate salami and sacher cake. If I understood well there's malt instead of sugar as sweetener in dessert. Which is so cool.

My favouire food are seitan (seasoned in any way... it's soo fluffy), gnocchi, lasagna, broccoli and pumpkin flan!
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 08, 2013

Pros: Healthy 100% vegan food, Wide choice of food always available

Cons: Food cooked the day before, Prices a little bit too high, Often shop assistants are not vegan

To taste - Edit

Serves vegan ice cream, tempeh quiche, prepared tofu. Ten tables with tea with liquorice and filtred water. Toilets. New tel :02 39663631. Open every day except sunday. Hours opening : 11:00 to 21:30 non stop. The service is not really unpleasant but, sure, a smile would be welcome !

Pros: Vegan, calm, near from duomo

Cons: Variety

Return to Milan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mens Sana - Lanzone closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4894 times since Mar 2008.